If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

Old September 20th 05, 01:26 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default If Adults on bikes could be as simple as kids on bikes

: I find that saying "Excuse me!" usually works where "on your left"
: doesn't. I figure everyone knows what 'excuse me' means.

What does it mean? Get out of my way?

In all seriousness, when I'm in a situation where I want to make sure that
someone knows I'm there, I just say "beep beep." It always works, and always
brings a smile.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 20th 05, 01:52 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:14:08 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:36:10 -0400,
, Marlene Blanshay
wrote:

I find that saying "Excuse me!" usually works where "on your left"
doesn't. I figure everyone knows what 'excuse me' means.

There's no reason a pedestrian should ever have to excuse you.
They may cede their right-of-way. It is theirs to grant or deny.

this morning i was out jogging on the sidewalk. it was still dark.
from behind me i heard someone ring their bell. hmmm.
i didn't know what to do, so i stepped off the sidewalk and
continued straight. the biker (on a mountain bike) went beside me
on the sidewak and said thanks.

why didn't she just swerve onto the grass and give me
plenty of room so i wouldn't feel uneasy? i'd guess
because this situation isn't clear to anyone.

if i'm riding, and approaching someone on the sidewalk,
i get off early and pass them on the boulevard. or if
i have to i bump down to the road. usually, i give one
TING of my bell, so they know someone is getting
closer. i don't know if that works for them either.
hard to say.

survey says: do what you want. it'll be right for
some and wrong for others. you have no way to know
which group you're passing. be free.
....thehick
Old September 20th 05, 03:11 AM
Roger Zoul

:
: What does it mean? Get out of my way?
:
: In all seriousness, when I'm in a situation where I want to make
: sure that someone knows I'm there, I just say "beep beep." It always
: works, and always brings a smile.

Funny....I've done that too.

Old September 20th 05, 04:33 AM
Paul Hobson

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
: I find that saying "Excuse me!" usually works where "on your left"
: doesn't. I figure everyone knows what 'excuse me' means.

What does it mean? Get out of my way?

In all seriousness, when I'm in a situation where I want to make sure that
someone knows I'm there, I just say "beep beep." It always works, and always
brings a smile.

Haha, I "honked" at a cager whose attentions were not directed at the
light that had just turned green. She didn't find it assuming though.
Oh well, good to know that we've senses of humour.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old September 20th 05, 06:30 AM
Mark Hickey

catzz66 wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I 'm with Maggie on this one. The "on your left" stuff just doesn't work
with a *lot* of people, yet we continue to come up with reasons why it's
appropriate. Sorry, but people get easily confused when something's coming
up from behind them, and in the auto world (which they're used to), you
don't have a similar epithet or appropriate response.

People ought to be able to "get it," but they often don't. I just say
"passing on your left." So far, I have not run over anyone or had to
stop and explain it yet.

That's what I normally do - other times (especially when the jogger /
walker / rollerblader is wearing headphones) I'll just slow down and
pass them without saying anything. That almost never results in
anyone doing anything dangerous, as opposed to my best efforts to be
clear and instructive, which results in some Maggies (the new term for
attempted pedestrian suicide by bicycle). ;-)

Better still, I don't ride on multiple use paths unless I have to.
There are a lot of folks out there who just don't pay attention when
they are out there.

That's the truth. I often ride through ASU (Arizona State
University), and have come to the conclusion that flatworms probably
have better navigational skills than the average ASU student with a
cell phone stuck in its ear. It's a lot like MTBing would be if the
trees were constatntly trying to jump in front of you...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 20th 05, 11:42 AM
Maggie

Pat wrote:
:
: "Maggie" wrote in message
:: Yesterday my husband and I were walking the multi-use path in Brookdale
: Park. This is the path where I was knocked over by a cyclist couple
: who shouted "ON THE LEFT" because I had no idea which way to move.

: You're not supposed to move, then, are you? "ON YOUR LEFT" is a warning to
: let slower traffic know you're there. Just hold your line and the faster
: cyclist will pass you. Am I wrong?
:
:
It's all about blame, doncha know. She is still trying to blame someone
else.

Actually I was trying to praise three little cyclists who were polite
and trained quite well in riding. They knew they were on a path where
many people were walking, talking and enjoying a Sunday stroll. They
were polite, kind, concerned and I admired the way they handled
themselves. That was the intent of my post. Not to blame anyone. I
walk on the track to exercise so I do not have to worry about the
confusion of multi use paths. (and they do become crazy on a beautiful
Sunday afternoon)... It was my husband who wanted to walk there. But
read whatever the hell you want into it Pat. That is your choice. I
thought the kids were great. I admire how their parents taught them.
And everyone in that park probably appreciated their mature riding
ability even at such a young age. It was a post to praise some
children not blame anyone. Get over it.
Maggie

Old September 20th 05, 12:02 PM
Maggie

Roger Zoul wrote:

You're really not learning much here, Mags. Must be a sign of getting old.

I'm learning I do not enjoy posting to this group. No matter what you
post, there is someone who will take what you say and try to make a
major issue out of it. I ride my bike on a bike path.....I walk on a
track. I enjoyed what the kids did and wrote about it. I thought
they were very polite on a very congested track filled with older
people, dogs, babies etc. I give kudos to their parents for teaching
them manners. I am glad I joined a cycling club, as they found the
story very cute. They took it for what it was....just a cute story
about three little boys on their bikes.

FYI I have learned alot since I fell in the park last spring when
someone yelled ON YOUR LEFT.

I've been in a 25 mile and a 50 mile ride charity ride and I am setting
my sights on a century. I followed some advice I received from this
group and found people to ride with and I also bike to work. I've come
a long way since I first bought my bike and wrote my first post.

Now I post to people personally when I read this newsgroup. It saves
alot of aggravation. Have you noticed I don't post much. I read and
respond individually. It is a heck of a lot better and I have learned
much from many of you. I thank you for that.
Maggie
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbus...?1100212880789
http://www.walkamerica.org/personal_page.asp?w=272039

Old September 20th 05, 03:51 PM
Robert Uhl

"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:

When I'm overtaking other cyclists, and note that they're riding in a
predictable fashion, I say nothing. Actually, that's not quite true;
if there's an opportunity to make myself known audibly, as in casual
chat with other cyclists, I do so. Why? Because it's not intimidating,
and lets someone know you're there

In Anglo-Saxon (and possibly later) England, it was the law the one
should sing in the forest; this prevented one from being able to
surprise others, as a bandit would. Perhaps we cyclists should adapt
this simple technique?

Although judging by my own voice, cycling would be quickly outlawed...

--
Robert Uhl http://public.xdi.org/=ruhl
To add to the confusion, there are many even less specific `-illions'
Old September 20th 05, 04:10 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
:: FYI I have learned alot since I fell in the park last spring when
:: someone yelled ON YOUR LEFT.

Could have happened with any other comment as well.

::
:: I've been in a 25 mile and a 50 mile ride charity ride and I am
:: setting my sights on a century.

Great!

:: I followed some advice I received
:: from this group and found people to ride with and I also bike to
:: work.

Good for you!

TRIPS FOR KIDS BIKE SWAP & SALE SATURDAY JUNE 25 Trips for Kids Recumbent Biking 1 June 15th 05 09:09 AM
Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame? Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 55 November 7th 04 08:37 AM
Bolt-on kid's bikes DaveB Australia 14 February 5th 04 08:21 PM
Which bike for a 7yo? [email protected] General 22 December 3rd 03 11:33 PM
Do they Make Kids Road Bikes Privatelife General 10 July 24th 03 01:20 PM