Would you buy a used bike with 8,000 mi. on it?

Old October 9th 05, 05:07 PM
Booker C. Bense

Default Would you buy a used bike with 8,000 mi. on it?

Old October 9th 05, 05:16 PM
Rich Clark

"Plin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not a weekend poseur-racer planning to buy more bike than I need.
But if he were to take, say, $500-$700 for it, it would be worth it,
no? Still a lot cheaper than the $1,000 OCR 1 I would probably get
instead.

It would be very hard to pass up a Dura-Ace Orbea in good condition for $500
if the wheels are in good condition and the frame has never been damaged.
Maybe even for $700 if it's a perfect fit.

I'm currently riding an old Centurion Ironman. Time to upgrade!

You mean, time to have two bikes, right? g

RichC

Old October 9th 05, 05:19 PM
pam in sc

Rich Clark wrote:
"Plin" wrote in message
ups.com...

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't even have considered a bike like this,
since I'll be using it mostly for exercise, and not racing. But now
that I've seen it, I'm in love If I can get it for a good price, I
may go for it instead of a new bike.

Pass on it.

It's not the mileage. It's that it's the wrong bike. The things that make
this a $2500 bike instead of a $1000 bike are all things that optimize it
for racing, and that detract from its suitability as an all-around
utility/exercise bike.

I have an Orbea Aspin. You are surely looking at a fancier model, but
even what I bought has inspired me to ride more and ride faster. If you
love the bike and it is in your price range, buy it because it will
inspire you to ride, whether it is logically the right bike for you or not.

Pam
Old October 9th 05, 05:32 PM
jj

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:37:04 GMT, Jeff Starr wrote:

On 9 Oct 2005 07:04:29 -0700, "Plin" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've already ridden the bike and it fits and rides well. It's the
correct size. I also compared the geometry to the new bikes I'm
considering (Giant OCR 1) and it's very similar. The bike looks good
and there is no obvious damage, other than some surface dings.

This bike was was built up at a cost of about $2,500 (it has Dura Ace
components). How many miles are Dura Ace derailleurs typically good for
before they need replacement or rebuilding?

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't even have considered a bike like this,
since I'll be using it mostly for exercise, and not racing. But now
that I've seen it, I'm in love If I can get it for a good price, I
may go for it instead of a new bike.

Just trying to determine what a fair price would be for this bike,
considering the mileage.

Hi, as others have said, the mileage isn't the issue, it is the
current condition that matters.
If the guy is a racer, I would imagine that he kept things properly
lubed. as a racer, did he crash the bike? And if so, how many times,
and how badly? Ask him what he has replaced and how long ago, in those
8000 miles. What about the wheels, anything special?

Just a quick comment in your excellent reply...isn't 8000 miles actually
only about five months of racing? Most pros get 400 miles a week (even more
in spring and summer). I'd think if he kept the bike in good shape, lubed
and soforth, that this is an a fairly newish bike by most standards. My
concern would be to find out how many times he's had to lay it down hard.

jj

I upgraded most of the components on my LeMond, the drivetrain is all
Dura-Ace, except for the cassette and brake calipers. I have 6300
miles on the DA components and I have had to replace shift cables and
chain. I have no doubt, that with the exception of the brifters, which
are an unknown, the other components will last for a long time. The
frame has over 7700 miles on it, it is steel, and it is like new. If a
component does wear out, you don't have to replace it with DA, so you
can maintain it for reasonable dollars.

As far as price goes, you could do a search on Ebay, to see what they
are selling for, you may or may not find that model. I think Litespeed
gives a trade-in value on some bikes, check out their website.
It sounds like a lot more bike than an OCR1, but if it would cost more
than the new OCR1, then I would probably go new. I personally, based
only on the little info supplied, would not pay more than about $800.
Just remember, I'm no expert, so take my pricing for what it's worth,
which is very little, maybe nothing;-)

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old October 9th 05, 05:46 PM
Arthur Harris

"Plin" wrote:
I'm not a weekend poseur-racer planning to buy more bike than I need.
But if he were to take, say, $500-$700 for it, it would be worth it,
no? Still a lot cheaper than the $1,000 OCR 1 I would probably get
instead.

I'm currently riding an old Centurion Ironman. Time to upgrade!

How does the gearing on the Orbea compare to your current bike? Racing bikes
will typically have a double crankset and a narrow range cassette. Is the
frame clearance sufficient to accept moderately wide tires (like a 700x28)?
Are there any spacers above the stem that could be moved below to get the
bars up higher?

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but getting a good deal isn't as important
as getting an appropriate bike. Sure, things like cassette, stem, or saddle
can be swapped out as needed. But frame geometry and clearance can not.

Art Harris

Old October 9th 05, 06:10 PM
Veloise

Plin wrote:
A guy in my neighborhood has a nice bike (an aluminum frame Orbea) he
wants to get rid of. He's a racer and has logged on about 8k miles on
it. The bike's only two years old.

Should I even consider a bike that's been ridden this much? ...

FYI, bikes are not like cars, where engine wear is a factor. How many
miles on you?

HTH

--Karen D.

Old October 9th 05, 06:12 PM
John Everett

On 9 Oct 2005 07:04:29 -0700, "Plin" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've already ridden the bike and it fits and rides well. It's the
correct size. I also compared the geometry to the new bikes I'm
considering (Giant OCR 1) and it's very similar. The bike looks good
and there is no obvious damage, other than some surface dings.

This bike was was built up at a cost of about $2,500 (it has Dura Ace
components). How many miles are Dura Ace derailleurs typically good for
before they need replacement or rebuilding?

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't even have considered a bike like this,
since I'll be using it mostly for exercise, and not racing. But now
that I've seen it, I'm in love

Years ago I received the following advice, "Never fall in love with an
inanimate object, it won't love you back."

If I can get it for a good price, I may go for it instead of a new bike.

Just trying to determine what a fair price would be for this bike,
considering the mileage.

I've looked over the responses so far, and IMHO it all depends upon
the bike. I have a 1992 Vitus 992 (bonded aluminum) with Dura Ace
components that I used to race. It has well over 50,000 miles on it,
has been well maintained, and is still my favorite bike. While I
converted it from eight to nine speeds a few years ago, the original
DA shifters and rear derailleur are still going strong on my beater
(an even older Trek 1400). The rest of the original components are
still on the bike.

Bottom line, 8,000 miles shouldn't be a problem if the bike's been
maintained. If it fits you (THE most important question) and the price
is right, go for it.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old October 10th 05, 03:29 PM
lowkey

"catzz66" wrote in message
Plin wrote:
A guy in my neighborhood has a nice bike (an aluminum frame Orbea) he
wants to get rid of. He's a racer and has logged on about 8k miles on
it. The bike's only two years old.

Should I even consider a bike that's been ridden this much? I assume
he's ridden it very hard as well (lots of sprinting and climbing) and
no doubt the frame and components have been considerably fatigued. I
know it's hard to put a lifespan on a bike, but I'm trying to get a
feel for the remaining useful life of such a bike and the price
depreciation (fair market value) if sold second hand (e.g. 50% of
original MSRP?, 30?, 20%...)

Perhaps he should be thinking of retiring it, rather than selling it

Another thing to remember is that you could easily have bought it and had
absolutely no idea that it had 8,000 miles on it. If knowing the
mileage is that much of a deal breaker for you, then you should probably
pass on it.

Another thing is how many of the components have been replaced and how long
ago. The frame should be fine. What condition and how new are the Brakes?
Wheels? Tires? etc. Given he is a racer I would assume he kept it in very
good condition.

I personally and generally depreciate heavily - 33% just for having a
private individual take possession. Anything more than that I wouldn't pay
more than 50% of the sticker price.

But that's just me.

--
'Riders on the storm
Into this house we're born

Old October 10th 05, 03:39 PM
catzz66

Plin wrote:
[...]

When you buy something used, you are always taking a risk. If you can
look at the worse case scenario and are willing to live with the risk,
it's your choice. If you are only talking about a few bucks replacing
parts, it doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old October 10th 05, 05:06 PM
jj

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:39:20 -0500, catzz66
wrote:

Plin wrote:
[...]

Why not request the LBS take a quick look at it? Put down a $25 deposit for
his trouble, do a test ride, too.

I still say 8K miles is not a lot of mileage if the rider is a Pro, kept up
the maintenence, etc.

jj

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM