Would you buy a used bike with 8,000 mi. on it?

Old October 12th 05, 12:37 AM
Jeff Starr

Default Would you buy a used bike with 8,000 mi. on it?

On 11 Oct 2005 11:36:03 -0700, "Plin" wrote:

Well, I'm sure most would consider this irrelevant. Nevertheless, I
apologize to anyone who may be offended, particularly those who offered
their advice.

I'm sorry, it's not irrelevant. First of all, it was dishonest and
secondly, my advice would have been different.

Buying from a neighbor and buying on Ebay are very different. As
someone else pointed out, it was an outright lie, to say that you rode
the bike.

You still don't have a bike and now, you will most likely not get much
help, when looking at the next one.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old October 12th 05, 12:45 AM
gds

I vote with Jeff on this!

Old October 12th 05, 01:23 AM
David

In article . com, Plin
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've already ridden the bike and it fits and rides well. It's the
correct size. I also compared the geometry to the new bikes I'm
considering (Giant OCR 1) and it's very similar. The bike looks good
and there is no obvious damage, other than some surface dings.

This bike was was built up at a cost of about $2,500 (it has Dura Ace
components). How many miles are Dura Ace derailleurs typically good for
before they need replacement or rebuilding?

If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't even have considered a bike like this,
since I'll be using it mostly for exercise, and not racing. But now
that I've seen it, I'm in love If I can get it for a good price, I
may go for it instead of a new bike.

Plin,

Take it to a local LBS that deals with road bikes and get them to check
it out and suggest a fair price for it. Don't forget to ask them to
write a quote for any work that needs to be done to get the bike in tip
top shape again -- a new chain or cassette?!?. Some LBS may charge a
fee for this, so take it into account when offering a fair price to the
seller.. Better safe than sorry right?

David.
Old October 12th 05, 01:40 AM
Plin

Well, It's not an 'outright lie'. I've ridden my cousin's Orbea with
the same geometry.

Oh well, I've said my peace

Old October 12th 05, 04:03 PM
catzz66

Plin wrote:
Well, It's not an 'outright lie'. I've ridden my cousin's Orbea with
the same geometry.

Oh well, I've said my peace

Maybe you should consider politics, eh.

Old October 13th 05, 04:22 AM
Leo Lichtman

"catzz66" wrote: Maybe you should consider politics, eh.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You made TWO mistakes. The second one was in NOT lying again. You could
have said, "Well, my neighbor refused to let it go for $800, so I had to
pass. I'm happy for him, though, because he ended up getting $940. We've
since become pretty friendly, and may go on some rides together one of these
days."

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM