Tubeless?

Old July 6th 03, 07:23 AM
Jon Bond

Default Tubeless?

"KSlater" wrote in message
a...

"ZaboAA" wrote in message
Have a new bike coming in about a week (Heckler) and am thinking about

going
with tubeless trims/tires (Mavic X-317 Disc).
Any opinions. Are they worth it?

Mark

Well MBA (mountian Bike Action) seems to think they are the tops. But I
don't know anyone here in BC that runs them. Almost all of use use tubes

and
change them a lot. We also break more Marzihocci (I know it's spelled
"wrong"). Almost all the 2002/2001 junior and super T models are cracking

on
the arches. Anyone anywhere else crack one?

Frank

My friend has blown out one z1 twice (damping once, seals once), and twisted
another, older Z1. His shiver DC has held up to 20 foot drops though,
although I think he might have messed up the damping on that too for a
while.

Jon Bond

Old July 6th 03, 03:16 PM
Anthony Sloan

ZaboAA wrote:
Have a new bike coming in about a week (Heckler) and am thinking about going
with tubeless trims/tires (Mavic X-317 Disc).
Any opinions. Are they worth it?

Mark

I've been running tubeless for several years now and have been quite
happy with them.

As always, YMMV.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Old July 7th 03, 02:39 AM
KSlater

"Cameron" wrote in message

"KSlater" wrote in message

a...

"ZaboAA" wrote in message
Have a new bike coming in about a week (Heckler) and am thinking about

going
with tubeless trims/tires (Mavic X-317 Disc).
Any opinions. Are they worth it?

Mark

Well MBA (mountian Bike Action) seems to think they are the tops. But I
don't know anyone here in BC that runs them. Almost all of use use tubes

and
change them a lot. We also break more Marzihocci (I know it's spelled
"wrong"). Almost all the 2002/2001 junior and super T models are

cracking on
the arches. Anyone anywhere else crack one?

Frank

Not yet, but then I still have to pay off the bike....
I'm getting the '03 JrT. They beefed up the arch, for that reason. I've

also seen a
new JrT with a bolt on arch.

--
Cameron

the five inch 2002/2001's? those arch's can be replace (after bending them)
with the Envy arch. I have a 4 inch Z1 with a bolt on and I have replaced it
with the envy arch already. My uncle replace the arch on his 2001 JRT Pro's
a little while ago.

But non of us have used Tubeless. I'm not sure that K. Bisaro (local bike
shop owner's Girl Friend and NORBA to 10 placement Pro) uses them but I can
ask wednesday when I go in and talk to the bike shop.

Frank

Old July 7th 03, 02:40 AM
KSlater

"Jon Bond" wrote in message

"KSlater" wrote in message
a...

"ZaboAA" wrote in message
[...]

Those DC's may be a little more flexy but they don't seem to break so often.
(but then for the price they better not.)
Frank

Old July 7th 03, 02:42 AM
higb

ZaboAA wrote:
Have a new bike coming in about a week (Heckler) and am thinking about going
with tubeless trims/tires (Mavic X-317 Disc).
Any opinions. Are they worth it?

I see them out there on some new bikes, but it kind of surprises me.
Good tires and latex tubes worked so well for me, that it didn't look
like something that needed fixing. I've put hundreds of miles (at least)
on latex tubes without having to patch or replace them.

My city bike (a retired rigid MB) is filling in on the hills until I
choose my next mountain bike, and I'm running 6 or 8 year old tubes
(with old Panaracer "Smoke Lites"). I have to pump them up a little
before each ride (I bring a floor pump), but that seems a small price
to pay for no mid-ride worries, and not bad after 6 or 8 _years_.

When I read MtbReview it seems people are having more problems with
tubless than I'm having now. Some of them _also_ seem to be pumping
them up before rides.

(150 lb recreational rider, who will probably flat out tomorrow)