White van not a viable means of transport.

Old October 13th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default White van not a viable means of transport.

The perfect solution for the van bound tardy handyman.

http://road.cc/content/news/25504-pe...c-traffic-jams

--
Simon Mason

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 13th 10, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

http://road.cc/content/news/25504-pe...es-his-bike-be...

--
Simon Mason

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Big respect to the man. But doesn't his use of a cycle make him
"cycling scum"? I get so confused. And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?
Old October 13th 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Oct 13, 12:25*pm, al Mossah wrote:
On 13 Oct, 10:47, "Simon Mason" wrote:

The perfect solution for the van bound tardy handyman.

http://road.cc/content/news/25504-pe...es-his-bike-be...

--
Simon Mason

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Big respect to the man. *But doesn't his use of a cycle make him
"cycling scum"? *I get so confused. *And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

I know, it's so difficult, isn't it. A couple of pointers which may
help you reach a conclusion:
* The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", i.e. making wild
extrapolations/generalisations from indivudual news reports is
nonsense
* This is usenet, full of nutters, single issue zealots, and people
who will argue a point just for the sake of it, and is not in any way
representative of reality
Does that help?
Old October 13th 10, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:47:40 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

The perfect solution for the van bound tardy handyman.

http://road.cc/content/news/25504-pe...c-traffic-jams

What ****.

I wonder how he finds turning corners?

Is it legal to have protrusions at the front and rear of a vehicle?

--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Old October 13th 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

al Mossah wrote:
And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...ts.html#middle

BugBear
Old October 13th 10, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On 13 Oct, 12:25, al Mossah wrote:
On 13 Oct, 10:47, "Simon Mason" wrote:

The perfect solution for the van bound tardy handyman.

http://road.cc/content/news/25504-pe...es-his-bike-be...

Big respect to the man. *But doesn't his use of a cycle make him
"cycling scum"? *I get so confused. *

I don't know - being a handyman *might* elevate him from scum to a
bloke going around doing odd jobs, running his own business, paying
his taxes and getting to jobs on time - i.e. someone to be admired.

And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

The Handyman says safe - I believe him.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 13th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Simon Mason wrote:

I don't know - being a handyman *might* elevate him from scum to a
bloke going around doing odd jobs, running his own business, paying
his taxes and getting to jobs on time - i.e. someone to be admired.

Nah, "handyman" is a euphemism for an unqualified tradesman who rips off old
ladies and dodges tax.

And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

The Handyman says safe - I believe him.

The Handyman says safe? Whatever the Handyman says I would be sceptical
about.

Old October 13th 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FrengaX

On Oct 13, 1:37*pm, bugbear wrote:
al Mossah wrote:
* And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...ts.html#middle

It's quite scary how many of those fallacious argument categories our
Doug (and others) use here.

Old October 13th 10, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

On 13 Oct, 15:22, "mileburner" wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

I don't know - being a handyman *might* elevate him from scum to a
bloke going around doing odd jobs, running his own business, paying
his taxes and getting to jobs on time - i.e. someone to be admired.

Nah, "handyman" is a euphemism for an unqualified tradesman who rips off old
ladies and dodges tax.

And will someone clear up once
and for all, is cycling on UK roads safe or dangerous?

The Handyman says safe - I believe him.

The Handyman says safe? Whatever the Handyman says I would be sceptical
about.

Well, thanks all for trying to help, but I'm still confused. I can't
even work out if I'm cycling scum; I do ride a bike to work, but I
also have a car, so pay vehicle excise duty (is that the same thing as
road tax? I think I heard a handyman somewhere say that it wasn't ...
or was, I don't know). The bloke in the article with the ladders and
bike, he's "going about his business", so everyone should get out of
his way, shouldn't they? I'm sure that I read somewhere that people
holding up traffic should get out of the way of handymen going about
their business. So does this mean that any stationary car drivers are
"scum" because they are holding up this handyman? But actually, his
means of transport (apparently not viable) enables him to bypass the
traffic jams, so he's not being held up, so maybe the car drivers
aren't scum. This is getting more complicated.

And I quite respect handymen - well, the ones who do work for my
family.
Old October 13th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Only to the hard of thinking