Leaving soon for NM, CO, and UT

Old July 3rd 03, 04:28 PM
Craig Brossman

Default Leaving soon for NM, CO, and UT

"Trekkie Dad" wrote in message
I'll be leaving soon for a car trip that's taking in parts of NM, CO,
and UT. First I want to thank Craig Brossman for giving me his tel# just
in case he's available to ride while I'm in Durango. Second, thanks to
TJ for sending me a packet of trail maps and other info on the GJ/Fruita
area. (Yes, I know it's going to be hot!)

I'll be traveling with my non-riding (but patient) wife. Mostly I'll be
riding early in the morning when it's cool (and she sleeps) saving the
rest of the day for travel/sight-seeing.

We'll be visiting family in Deming, NM for a couple of days. Then it's
off to Carlsbad to see the caverns. From there we drive north all the
way to Chama to ride the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. That's the
first week, and it's pretty well set.

For the second week we plan to pass through Durango, Fruita/GJ, Capitol
Reef NP, and taking scenic UT 12 across Escalante/Grand Staircase to
Bryce, and then home by way of Las Vegas. There's some flexibility in
the second week, as no reservations have been made.

As you can see, my bike-riding time will be somewhat limited, but I hope
to get a taste of what some of these places have to offer as we are
passing through. If you are an am-b'er in the area and willing to give
me a phone# by email, I'll give you a call when I get close.

I'm aware that most of us can't just drop everything and take somebody
they've never met out for a bike ride, but I've had good luck with
am-b'ers before, so there's always hope. I look forward to possibly
meeting at least one of you on this trip.

TD

--

World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html

Give me a call when you are ready to ride.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove .nospam. if replying)

Old July 4th 03, 01:09 AM
Trekkie Dad

In article ,
"Craig Brossman" wrote:

Give me a call when you are ready to ride.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove .nospam. if replying)

I'm looking forward to it. I'll give you a call while I'm in Chama, NM
(assuming there's cell service).

BTW, there's supposed to be some riding near Chama, but I can't find out
anything. The closest bike shop appears to be in Espanola, NM.

Just got the bike tuned up. I'll be with a couple of buddies dodging
"jeeps" on a portion of the Rubicon tomorrow. None of us has been out on
mountain bikes lately; it should be a real comedy. The only "advantage"
I can expect to have over the others is all the miles of road biking
I've been doing--I won't tire as easily. (It certainly won't be my
meager technical skills.) It'll be a sucess if I manage to stay
unbloodied.

TD

Old July 6th 03, 01:41 AM
Sorni

"Trekkie Dad" wrote in message
In article ,

I broke my collarbone on the Rubicon Trail yesterday, so we have
cancelled our southwest trip for this summer. :-(

Typing hurts. Gotta go lie down....

Dude, that sucks major do-do! So I'm guessing that when you wrote:

"It'll be a success if I manage to stay unbloodied", that also included
broken bones.

Heal fully and quickly!

Bill "there but for the grace of...well, I ain't got no grace but so far so
lucky" S.

Old July 6th 03, 03:29 AM
Trekkie Dad

Default Trip cancelled--broken collarbone

In article ,
"Sorni" wrote:

"Trekkie Dad" wrote in message
In article ,

I broke my collarbone on the Rubicon Trail yesterday, so we have
cancelled our southwest trip for this summer. :-(

Typing hurts. Gotta go lie down....

Dude, that sucks major do-do! So I'm guessing that when you wrote:

"It'll be a success if I manage to stay unbloodied", that also included
broken bones.

Heal fully and quickly!

Bill "there but for the grace of...well, I ain't got no grace but so far so
lucky" S.

Actually, I did get a scrape below the knee only about a quarter-mile
in. But I was at least 7 miles from the nearest road that didn't require
a fwd when I endoed. Fortunately I was near a jeepers' camp, and there
was plenty of help around. It took a while for them to radio-relay word
out. About 2 hours after I went down, I was helicoptered out to South
Lake Tahoe. My only significant injury turned out to be the broken
clavicle. I took a lighter blow on the helmet, but the only broken skin
I had was from earlier in the ride.

We left my bike and other gear with the jeepers. One of my riding
buddies plans to pick it up from the jeepers tomorrow after they return
from their camping trip. It was six hours before my buds arrived at the
hospital to take me home.

I'll write a more detailed account when I feel more up to it. I was
awake and alert the whole time, despite being a bit shocky at first.

My first copter ride ever, and all I could see was its ceiling. :-(

TD