B-Day RR - The San Juan Trail

Old July 6th 03, 12:20 AM
Bill Porter

Default B-Day RR - The San Juan Trail

I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on
the San Juan trail in the Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan
Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up going
with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking
about going, but when your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just
seem to have issues with getting up early (more than the usual
whining). Anyway we arrived at the trailhead around 6:30AM and
within 10 minutes we were off. There have been many RRs on San Juan
in the past so I won't describe the trail just check out my page one
it http://www.mountainbikebill.com/san_juan.htm. This was the first
time I had rode the trail since August of last year (I know what the
hell I'm I doing only riding this thing in the summer) so I was
looking forward to the ride. I was pretty stoked that I managed to
clean the bottom 10 switchbacks however, while doing this my SS buddy
did his usual of pulling away. For the rest of 6.6-mile climb up to
Lunch Box Rock I was playing catch up to my single geared friend and
feeling awful sluggish and unenergetic. It was not until I got to the
rock that I realized that I actually made really good time. The heat
was really cranking up now and it was not getting any cooler. After a
minimalist break at the rock we headed off on the "new" San Juan Trail
and then over to the Viejo Tie Trail. One thing I noticed is that the
technical sections seemed well, a little less technical with rocks and
drops looked a little smaller. I was riding a lot more stuff than I
have in past. Now I was by no means cleaning everything and I did
leave a small DNA offering to the MTB gods on the Viejo Tie Trail.
The 6.6-mile singletrack downhill proved to be just as awesome as
usual. So I would have to say "Stay Young Ride Your Bike". I am a
year better today and I highly recommend chasing a freakishly fast
rider to push yourself .

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com
Old July 6th 03, 04:11 AM
Michael Paul

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on
the San Juan trail in the Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan
Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up going
with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking
about going, but when your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just
seem to have issues with getting up early (more than the usual
whining).

SNIP

I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the
night!

Glad you had a good B-Day ride in and beat the heat. It was only 97 in
Escondido at noon so it sounds like you beat the worst part of it anyway.

Michael

Old July 6th 03, 04:35 AM
Bill Porter

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:11:32 GMT, "Michael Paul"
wrote:

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
I got up at O-Damn early this morning to get in a birthday ride up on
the San Juan trail in the Santa Ana Mountains between San Juan
Capistrano and Lake Elsinore here in sunny SoCal. I ended up going
with one of my SS riding buddies. There were a few other thinking
about going, but when your birthday is on the 5th of July, folks just
seem to have issues with getting up early (more than the usual
whining).

SNIP

I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the
night!

Glad you had a good B-Day ride in and beat the heat. It was only 97 in
Escondido at noon so it sounds like you beat the worst part of it anyway.

Michael

I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about
something? :-)

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old July 6th 03, 05:14 AM
Sorni

wrote:

I have no problems getting up early, but 4:30 is still the middle of the
night!

I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about
something? :-)

He's feeling more bedspready, I think

Bill "cheap down comforter" S.

Old July 6th 03, 05:36 AM
Sorni

"Michael Paul" wrote in message
.. .

"Bill Porter" wrote in message

I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about
something? :-)

It's much to hot to feel quilty about anything right now. ;-) As for
guilt, I feel none at all about remaining in bed like the rest of the sane
people at that hour!

It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to

go

ANOTHER MOUNTAIN BIKER LIE!!!

(We rode SJT on *my* birthday bake last year, July 13th. For Porter's we
did that lovely East Mesa to Indian Creek to Hell & Back death march.)

Bill "open to riding something good next Sunday, but sure doesn't have to be
a 48-miler!" S.

Old July 6th 03, 05:43 AM
Bill Porter

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:30:36 -0700, "Penny S."
wrote:

Bill Porter thoughtfully penned:
I did not even mention your name, are you feeling quilty about
something? :-)

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

dawn is a lovely time to ride, especially on a "beat the heat" ride.

Penny

Here is a pan shot (still needs some stitch work) from this morning
looking west just under 3 miles up the trail. 417KB
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...Pan-5JUL03.jpg

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com
Old July 6th 03, 05:47 AM
Bill Porter

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul"
wrote:

SNIP
It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to go

SNIP

My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a
fall/winter SJT.

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Old July 6th 03, 05:47 AM
Sorni

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul"
wrote:

SNIP
It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want to

go
SNIP

My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a
fall/winter SJT.

At night!

Bill "come on, you know you want to" S.

Old July 6th 03, 06:03 AM
Sorni

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:47:42 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:

"Bill Porter" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:16:58 GMT, "Michael Paul"
wrote:

SNIP
It has been over a year since I've done the SJT though and I did want

go
SNIP

My last two SJTs have been in the heat of summer, lets plan on a
fall/winter SJT.

At night!

Bill "come on, you know you want to" S.

I hear there is a group of folks that do that almost every wednesday
night. Could be interesting

Before I was smart enough to know better, a friend and I rode up (!) and
down Noble completely at night. The Hale-Bop comet was blazing in a clear
black sky, too, making it even more memorable.

Bill "Easter Eve, 199_? -- when those weird cultists here in SD offed
themselves" S.