Phoenix: Does it cool off significantly in late afternoon?

Old April 4th 05, 01:29 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Phoenix: Does it cool off significantly in late afternoon?

Somebody wants me to go out there when days are going tb high nineties, low
hundreds. Not ridable for Yours Truly.

I'm wondering if the rapid radiation phenom that we learned about in high school
kicks in soon enough that it would be ridable, say, after 5 pm.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 4th 05, 01:41 AM
Michael Dart

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Somebody wants me to go out there when days are going tb high
nineties, low hundreds. Not ridable for Yours Truly.

I'm wondering if the rapid radiation phenom that we learned about in
high school kicks in soon enough that it would be ridable, say, after
5 pm.

Early morning is your best bet. The smog induced inversion and 1000 sq
miles of cement hold the days heat for quite a while into the evening.

Mike

Old April 4th 05, 02:14 AM
TJ

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
Somebody wants me to go out there when days are going tb high nineties,
low
hundreds. Not ridable for Yours Truly.

I'm wondering if the rapid radiation phenom that we learned about in high
school
kicks in soon enough that it would be ridable, say, after 5 pm.
--
PeteCresswell

Put ice in your camelbak. You'll need it. I rode there last September. it
was 106 when we started out at 6:30 in the evening. If you bring a light it
won't be a problem. Ride early, or Late.

TJ

Old April 4th 05, 01:52 PM
charles buki

I get back to Ajo (90 mi south Phoenix) late this week. There's two good
rides I found. One is a 21 mile loop in Organ Pipe called Diablo Canyon and
the other is a 57 mile loop called Puerto Blanco. Should be mid 80s this
coming weekend. Noon-5 pm more or less if anyone wants to make long drive,
let me know.

On 4/3/05 9:14 PM, in article
, "TJ"

Old April 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Mark Hickey

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

Somebody wants me to go out there when days are going tb high nineties, low
hundreds. Not ridable for Yours Truly.

I'm wondering if the rapid radiation phenom that we learned about in high school
kicks in soon enough that it would be ridable, say, after 5 pm.

Like Michael Dart said, early mornings is your best bet (that's why we
didn't switch to daylight savings time like the rest of the country,
except for parts of Indiana and I believe Hawaii).

It can be reasonably nice about the time the sun goes down even in the
dead of summer - but a) you don't know until it happens and b) the
sun's going down (limiting you to a night ride).

The other adjustment you should make is to ride only the "legs and
lungs" trails when it's hot - I've really pegged my internal
thermometer struggling up some of the more vertical, techie trails in
the Phoenix area when it was "hot" (a term that may have different
meaning to people living here than it does to you).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old April 4th 05, 06:59 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Mark Hickey:
The other adjustment you should make is to ride only the "legs and
lungs" trails when it's hot - I've really pegged my internal
thermometer struggling up some of the more vertical, techie trails in
the Phoenix area when it was "hot" (a term that may have different
meaning to people living here than it does to you).

I think I've got my answer: "NO".....-)

I also think I'll opt to wait until next winter..... Jan/Feb sound optimal to
me.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 4th 05, 08:47 PM

Fall and winter is your bet. Where day time temps are 60
-70. And the nights in the 30s. The year I lived there in the summer
it got up to 124 and down to 88 at night. On the manhole covers they
were cooking eggs. And you don't have worry about spring ahead fall back
daylight savings time is a no no there.

I MTB 2004

05 makes 10 Mtbing

05 makes 10

05 makes 10

05 makes 10

05

Old April 7th 05, 03:23 PM
routebeer

Mark Hickey wrote:
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

Somebody wants me to go out there when days are going tb high

nineties, low
hundreds. Not ridable for Yours Truly.

I'm wondering if the rapid radiation phenom that we learned about in

high school
kicks in soon enough that it would be ridable, say, after 5 pm.

Like Michael Dart said, early mornings is your best bet (that's why

we
didn't switch to daylight savings time like the rest of the country,
except for parts of Indiana and I believe Hawaii).

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride, you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason. I've heard it was because AZ
officials don't want children coming home in the dark during the winter
months.

Old April 8th 05, 03:21 AM
Gregg

snip

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride, you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason. I've heard it was because AZ
officials don't want children coming home in the dark during the winter
months.

http://www.writefunny.com/daylightsavings.html

follow the money..... :-)

man, it hit 93F in Tempe today. A warm one for sure...... Got the
thermal cover on my pool. Water temp is about 77F. :-)

(It's an unwritten law in AZ that you don't go swimming until your pool
water is above 84F).

Old April 8th 05, 03:25 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Gregg wrote:
snip

But doesn't setting your clocks forward one hour in the spring actually
extend the morning? Meaning, when you get up at five to go ride, you
can actually get up at six and ride the same or continue to get up at
five and ride an hour more. If that's why you don't obey the time
change then I think that's a poor reason. I've heard it was because AZ
officials don't want children coming home in the dark during the winter
months.

http://www.writefunny.com/daylightsavings.html

follow the money..... :-)

man, it hit 93F in Tempe today. A warm one for sure...... Got the
thermal cover on my pool. Water temp is about 77F. :-)

(It's an unwritten law in AZ that you don't go swimming until your pool
water is above 84F).

Do you have a chiller for the pool? Curious about what happens when the
water becomes hotter than a bathtub.

My pool is still covered (as in closed) and will be until mid-May. I am
lucky when the water is 77F in the middle of summer (I'm too cheap to
heat the damn thing).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws