Edge 305 & Calories

Old April 14th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

Default Edge 305 & Calories

Edge 305 & Calories

My new Garmin Edge 305 calculates the calories I have supposedly used
during a ride. Knowing the calories and time I should be able to
estimate my wattage for the ride. However, when I do this I get more
that a Kilowatt. I rode for slightly less than 2 hours and used 1750
calories. If I really could generate over a kilowatt for an hour I'm
in the wrong business. I know about the Kcal vs cal issue but neither
answer makes sense.

I figure there are three possibilities.

1 - The 305 over estimates the calories used.

2 - The number is the calories to run the old bod + what ever I have
to generate for the ride. This still doesn't maker sense to me
because, if I remember right, the base rate for a person is about 200
watts and I don't believe I can generate 800 watts either.

3 - I'm missing something here

BTW does anyone know what algorithm the edge uses to calculate
calories?

Thanks
Steve G
Old April 14th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

steve wrote:
[...]

Divide it by 4. That's your efficiency. In: 1000 Watts, out: 250 Watts.
Bummer....

Lou
Old April 14th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
steve

On Apr 14, 12:20 pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

250 is about what I expected.

Steve G
Old April 15th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BobT[_3_]

"steve" wrote in message
[...]

Your device is estimating calories burned. You may be comparing to power
applied to the pedals as measured by a device such as a powertap or SRM.

Your "motor" is not 100% efficient. You are expending calories to work you
brain, digest your food, grow your fingernails, etc. Perhaps 25% of your
caloric expenditure ends up being transferred to the pedals to propel the
bike.

BobT

Old April 21st 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocky

The efficiency of the human bod from input to output is about 25% or 20%
depending on how you calculate it.

If you include the calories you would have burned by sitting around then you
use the 20% number. That is, total energy burned divided by energy into
the pedals is 5.

If you don't include the resting energy then the ratio is 4. That is,
incremental energy used.

I also have an Edge 305 and I think it greatly (as in 2x) over estimates
calories burned. I have various other methods to estimate energy used and
they all give me a number about half of what the Edge does.

Rocky

"BobT" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 22nd 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...ITI_index.html

Figuring out calories burned? chris christanis General 49 July 14th 12 05:12 AM
Calories and calories Christopher Harrison UK 26 August 18th 06 07:34 PM
calories burned - HRM vs. Web sites?? Bob General 24 February 3rd 06 08:04 PM
Liquid calories? EuanB Australia 17 May 26th 05 03:31 AM
WTB: Bolle Edge/Edge II RX insert. Jim Verheul Marketplace 0 May 23rd 05 07:16 AM