Hardtrail Mountain Bike Recommendations?

Old August 14th 12, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling
John[_28_]

Default Hardtrail Mountain Bike Recommendations?

I'm looking to get a Hardtrail Mountain Bike in the next couple months
and do that as part of the Cycle to Work scheme.

I have been waiting for newer 2013 models to come out so I can go and
check them out first in local stores and also read up on reviews for them.

Unfortunately the Cycle to Work Scheme through my employer is not the
one run by Halford as I believe they have a few really good value
Hardtrail's like the Voodoo Hoodoo. And previous years models of the
Carerra Fury have been known to be quite good although the latest one
you don't seem to be able to get except in larger frame sizes. Also they
are the store in the UK that sell the Boardman HT Comp another great
value Hardtrail in terms of what you get for your money, notwithstanding
the mixed opinions on Halfords service.

With these particular models and any others sold by Halfords ruled out,
what Hardtrails would you recommend I look at that will be available
through one of the stores signed up with the Cycle to Work Scheme?

I was probably going to have a budget of around £600 for the bike alone
itself give or take a small measure and wanted to get the best possible
value I can in terms of what I get for my money re ride, handling,
performance, frame, shocks, weight etc.

I can buy through any bike shops that are part of the cyclescheme at
http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk

I live in Leeds but can travel to any places nearby e.g. Harrogate,
York, Bradford, Huddersfield, Castleford, Sheffield etc

I have considered the Specialized Rockhopper in the past but that seems
to have now gone to 29" only wheels and I am not convinced that the
bigger wheels would be best suited to my style of riding and intended
use for the bike and would prefer to go with 26" wheels.

I am not sure I would be able to get a discounted one through the scheme
from last year if I even felt it was good value and not considered other
options because I believe they don't like to to the sceme on bikes that
are already discounted which is fair enough.

What other options are there for current and new 2013 models on the way
(yet to be released in the coming weeks) that you would recommend I take
a look at?

I intend to use the bike for both gentle and more steep trails in Peak
District, Yorkshire Dales, NYM, Lake District, Wales, Scotland, as well
as to work.

Even when I am going to work I don't intend to always go on the road and
take some shortcuts. Terrain here is hilly and roads are not the best
with a lot of potholes.

Looking for something similar to a Fury but I can get through
cyclescheme and good value. I think the Voodoo Hoodoo looks a great bike
but is a little on the heavy side.

I've just been taking a look at the Jamis Durango Race at Evans Cycles
which I believe is part of the scheme and a shop I would be able to buy
from, but I was unable to see anything on how much this bike weighed.

Any recommendations anyone for a hardtrail similar to rockhopper 26",
Fury or the Boardman HT Comp?

Cheers,

John

Old August 15th 12, 05:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 14/08/2012 19:37, John wrote:
Cycle to Work Scheme

Sponging freeloader.

More public money wasted.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old August 16th 12, 01:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

John wrote:

[...]

The Hardrock is 29inch But the Rockhopper is 26inch at least the 2012
ones.

regarding Halfords, ask since the Voodoo Hoodoo gets glowing reviews.

as mentioned forums will get a lot more eyeballs.

Bikeradar mtb section wouldn't be a poor place to start

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com