Do cyclists make "deals" with other riders and teams to win races?

Old November 12th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
CycleTo

Default Do cyclists make "deals" with other riders and teams to win races?

The short answer is yes...the longer answer comes from Levi
Leipheimer.

CycleTo posted a revealing interview with Levi, where he talks about
making a "deal" with Rabobank rider Robert Gesink at this year's Tour
of California.

http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=642
Old November 13th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Nov 12, 6:00*am, CycleTo wrote:
The short answer is yes...

That's just great Einstein. What new piece of news are you going to
relay next? Lycra stretches? Women have boobs? Gravity makes things
fall to the ground?

The world isn't flat!
Old November 13th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Nov 13, 8:36*am, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Nov 12, 6:00*am, CycleTo wrote:

The short answer is yes...

That's just great Einstein. What new piece of news are you going to
relay next? Lycra stretches? Women have boobs? Gravity makes things
fall to the ground?

The world isn't flat!

It was cool to hear the details from Levi. I always figured these
things were more spontaneous deals struck on the road. Of course this
happens, like when Hampsten held back on the Gavia and let Breukink
have the stage win... ;-))
-Paul
Old November 14th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

On Nov 12, 7:00*am, CycleTo wrote:
The short answer is yes...the longer answer comes from Levi
Leipheimer.

CycleTo posted a revealing interview with Levi, where he talks about
making a "deal" with Rabobank rider Robert Gesink at this year's Tour
of California.

http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=642

Dear CT,

Breaking news from the 1947 Tour de France . . .

http://books.google.com/books?id=jxq...er#PPA155,M 1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 14th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Nov 13, 8:36*am, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Nov 12, 6:00*am, CycleTo wrote:

The short answer is yes...

That's just great Einstein. What new piece of news are you going to
relay next? Lycra stretches? Women have boobs? Gravity makes things
fall to the ground?

The world isn't flat!

It was cool to hear the details from Levi. I always figured these
things were more spontaneous deals struck on the road. Of course this
happens, like when Hampsten held back on the Gavia and let Breukink
have the stage win... ;-))
-Paul

Dumbass: Hampsten WON on the Gavia. You think you get a 20th anniversary
commemorative jersey for second place?

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=433

"This limited edition item is a replica of the Maglia Rosa Hampsten won
in 1988 after he devastated a field of near-frozen Giro riders over the
snow covered Gavia Pass."

Eric who?

Old November 14th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Nov 13, 4:14*pm, "
wrote:
On Nov 12, 7:00*am, CycleTo wrote:

The short answer is yes...the longer answer comes from Levi
Leipheimer.

CycleTo posted a revealing interview with Levi, where he talks about
making a "deal" with Rabobank rider Robert Gesink at this year's Tour
of California.

http://cycleto.com/index.php?option=...article&id=642

Dear CT,

Breaking news from the 1947 Tour de France . . .

*http://books.google.com/books?id=jxq...frontcover#PPA...

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Good stuff! That's more the way I figured these things happened.
-Paul
Old November 14th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

Dumbass: Hampsten WON on the Gavia. You think you get a 20th anniversary
commemorative jersey for second place?

http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=433

"This limited edition item is a replica of the Maglia Rosa Hampsten won
in 1988 after he devastated a field of near-frozen Giro riders over the
snow covered Gavia Pass."

Eric who?

The race didn't end at the top of the Gavia.

But the story is a bit longer.

Andy didn't want to load himself down with extra clothing because he had
intended to go for this stage the night before. After he descended the next
to last mountain he stripped off his jacket, arm warmers etc. and continued
on.

As he started up the Gavia the conditions there were awesome. But Andy
couldn't stop. Mike Neel, driving the 7-11 team car gave the warmer clothing
to Bob Roll who actually ran down Andy on the climb and passed over the
clothing. That probably was a big boost to Andy. Though Andy never seems to
talk about it. It must be according to Roll's memory though because Bob Roll
was one of the very few riders to finish that stage.

Anyway, after Andy went over the top of the Gavia he slowed a good deal Andy
started to freeze himself and was wearing a rain jacket that had a lot of
drag. And he also said that his derailer had frozen up and that he couldn't
shift out of his climbing gear and so had to more or less coast all the way
down into warmer weather before he could put it in a proper gear again.

In any case about six miles from Bormio Eric Breukink passed him and he
couldn't keep up.

So it was Breukink who won the stage at Bormio and not Hampsten. But
Hampsten took control of the Pink Jersey and kept it to be the only American
to win it so far.

Old November 14th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the fill-in. I of course knew Breukink won the stage
(Hampsten on the Gavia being a traditional thing we do here to tease the
Dutch. It is no more cruel than teasing Australians about dingos or the
fraternal mockery we might inflict on any other of our bretheren in the
Anglosphere), but didn't realize Hampsten had in fact reached the summit
ahead of Breukink.

Old November 14th 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Thanks for the fill-in. I of course knew Breukink won the stage
(Hampsten on the Gavia being a traditional thing we do here to tease the
Dutch. It is no more cruel than teasing Australians about dingos or the
fraternal mockery we might inflict on any other of our bretheren in the
Anglosphere), but didn't realize Hampsten had in fact reached the summit
ahead of Breukink.

Johan van der Velde, father of new Garmin-Chipotle recruit Ricardo,
reached the summit first. He then took refuge in a camper car, warmed up
for about half an hour and started the descent in the back of a van with
a bunch of other riders and their bikes. In Bormio, they instructed the
driver to park on a little side road, jumped out of the van, crossed the
line by bike and were registered as normal finishers.
Old November 14th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:04:59 +0100, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

Johan van der Velde, father of new Garmin-Chipotle recruit Ricardo,
reached the summit first. He then took refuge in a camper car, warmed up
for about half an hour and started the descent in the back of a van with
a bunch of other riders and their bikes. In Bormio, they instructed the
driver to park on a little side road, jumped out of the van, crossed the
line by bike and were registered as normal finishers.

Yeah, but we know what happened to him...