Garmin on Linux

Old May 27th 14, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Garmin on Linux

James writes:

On 26/05/14 00:51, Joe Riel wrote:
I have a Garmin 205 that I'd like to use on Linux, without Wine.
I can upload the data but need a way to usefully graph/display it.
Before rolling my own, am wondering if anyone knows of something
suitable.

Again, don't know if this works with a 205, but was good for the 305.

https://github.com/pytrainer

Got it installed and kind-of working. Had to remove the garmin_gps
kernel module, and blacklist it, to prevent it from interfering with
gpsbabel.

There appears to be a nasty bug, at least in the version I have.
The metric/english units are screwed up. If I set it to metric,
the computed lap distances are shown as in km's, which is expected,
but the actual values are in miles. However, the total distance
is given in km's. Setting it to English units gives the total
in miles, but the lap distances, shown as miles, are neither miles
nor kilometers.

--
Joe Riel
Old May 27th 14, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/05/14 11:21, Joe Riel wrote:
James writes:

[...]

Yetch. I haven't used it for some time, and actually made a few small
contributions a long time ago. Maybe try an older version? I think
it's all Python, and you can basically run it from the source directory,
IIRC.

There are also methods to convert the raw data to files that Strava
accept. I used "garmintools" I think, available from
https://code.google.com/p/garmintools/

--
JS
Old May 27th 14, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

James writes:

[...]

I originally installed the package from debian stable. I've
since cloned the source, from github, and installed it.
That appears to fix the metric issue.

So far I've only got it to display the lap times and such, no map.
Does it have a facility for that? Seems like it, but the doc is
lacking.

--
Joe Riel
Old May 27th 14, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James writes:

[...]

It certainly used to. They used to use Google Maps, but the interface
changed I think, and they were going to OpenStreetMaps, IIRC.

--
JS
Old May 27th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

numbers no map ?

what I see n I doahn know programming.

Mapsource is more tolerant than Homeport. Gar may suffer from pirates.

and Delorme et al. Users may need communication more than location.