Velodrome direction

Old September 28th 09, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

Default Velodrome direction

Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

Jon
Old September 28th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Donald Allwright

On 28 Sep, 10:17, Jonathan Schneider
wrote:
Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

Jon

Maybe in the southern hemisphere they all go clockwise?
Old September 28th 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"Jonathan Schneider" wrote in message
Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

Jon

No.

They don't go clockwise, either.

HTH HAND.

Old September 28th 09, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Ian wrote:

"Jonathan Schneider" wrote in message
Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

No.

They don't go clockwise, either.

The riders go anti-clockwise so relatively speaking the velodrome goes
clockwise :-)
Old September 28th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 28 Sep, 11:54, Phil Cook wrote:
Ian wrote:

"Jonathan Schneider" wrote in message
Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?

No.

They don't go clockwise, either.

The riders go anti-clockwise so relatively speaking the velodrome goes
clockwise :-)

If you're looking from above. If you're lying on your back in the
middle the riders are going clockwise around you.
Old September 28th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Ian wrote:

"Jonathan Schneider" wrote in message
Something that's bothered me on and off for years.

Do all velodromes go anti-clockwise ?
No.

They don't go clockwise, either.

The riders go anti-clockwise so relatively speaking the velodrome goes
clockwise :-)

If you're looking from above. If you're lying on your back in the
middle the riders are going clockwise around you.

Only if I'm looking at a clock on the ceiling. If I'm lying on the
clock face they are going anti-clockwise.

I wonder if anybody has ever researched if there would be an advantage
to going round the other way? Is there some subtle aerodynamic
difference to flow over the chainwheel depending on the way the front
wheel turns into the banking?
Old September 28th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Donald Allwright

I wonder if anybody has ever researched if there would be an advantage
to going round the other way? Is there some subtle aerodynamic
difference to flow over the chainwheel depending on the way the front
wheel turns into the banking?

I have never ridden in a velodrome, but if I imagine myself cycling in
one, the clockwise direction 'feels' like it would be more natural to
me. May or may not have something to do with being left-handed, and it
may or may not relate to my actual performance if I were to try it.
And what about people from countries where you cycle on the right -
does that make a difference?
Old September 28th 09, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Donald Allwright writes:

I wonder if anybody has ever researched if there would be an advantage
to going round the other way? Is there some subtle aerodynamic
difference to flow over the chainwheel depending on the way the front
wheel turns into the banking?

I have never ridden in a velodrome, but if I imagine myself cycling in
one, the clockwise direction 'feels' like it would be more natural to
me. May or may not have something to do with being left-handed, and it
may or may not relate to my actual performance if I were to try it.
And what about people from countries where you cycle on the right -
does that make a difference?

Most (all?) athletics tracks have the runners going anti-clockwise. I
suspect it's a more general thing than velodromes specifically.
Old September 28th 09, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Eddie[_2_]

Phil Cook wrote:

I wonder if anybody has ever researched if there would be an advantage
to going round the other way? Is there some subtle aerodynamic
difference to flow over the chainwheel depending on the way the front
wheel turns into the banking?

If you're travelling anti-clockwise, the chainwheel (being on the
outside of the turn) has to travel further than if you were travelling
clockwise.

Therefore, it needs to go faster, and thus requires more energy to
accelerate it to the required speed than if you were circulating in the
other direction. Also, because of the higher speed, it'll generate
slightly more wind resistance.

OTOH, having the extra weight on the outside may be a benefit for
stability through the turns.

Calculations to prove these points are left as an exercise for the reader.

--
Eddie
Old September 28th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Phil Cook" wrote

[snip]

I wonder if anybody has ever researched if there would be an
advantage
to going round the other way? Is there some subtle aerodynamic
difference to flow over the chainwheel depending on the way the
front
wheel turns into the banking?

If there was an advantage, you would only get it by riding round in
the opposite direction to everyone else

Jeremy Parker