Council that fined girl, 5, for running lemonade stand slaps bikeshop owners with penalty for offering a free pump

Old August 2nd 17, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Council that fined girl, 5, for running lemonade stand slaps bikeshop owners with penalty for offering a free pump

On 02/08/17 11:22, JNugent wrote:
On 01/08/2017 18:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 01/08/17 14:38, JNugent wrote:
On 01/08/2017 10:32, TMS320 wrote:
On 01/08/17 00:23, JNugent wrote:
On 31/07/2017 21:55, TMS320 wrote:
On 31/07/17 15:34, Bod wrote:

Such pettiness!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3600461.html

I wonder whether the driver stopped on the double yellows caught
in Streetview was fined.

It isn't necessary to go far to find bollards (reducing the
pavement width) that are necessary to dissuade drivers from
thinking that the pavement is somewhere for them to park.

It is lawful to stop on double yellow lines in some circumstances.
Do you have any evidence that this "stop" was unlawful?

The sentence in my post was not a question but since you decided to
answer your response should have been yes or no. We can follow on
from that if the answer is no: either the driver took a chance that
it wouldn't be noticed (making officialdom look incompetent) or
officialdom must have had good reason.

It is even lawful to stop on double reds at certain times.

According to the story, the shop owner could legally place the pump
on the pavement if a payment was made.

The story does not say that. And that is probably because it would
not be correct. Space on the footway (which many people term "the
pavement") is not for sale. The £100 is a penalty for breaking the
law on obstruction.

The previous business had chairs and tables outside. Precedent exists.
£100 would be for getting an official out of bed to put a mark on a
piece of paper.

A lot of supposition (not to say asserted and untested history) there.

The view of the previous business is still on Streetview, if you
bothered to look. You have a very strange imagination if you think a
pump takes up more space.

Obviously nothing is going to shake you out of your position.

Oh, I accept that the bureacratic mind has nothing to do with rocket
science. Rocket science is considerably less complicated.
Old August 2nd 17, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 02/08/17 19:08, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 20:37:49 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

On 01/08/17 19:29, Tony Dragon wrote:

Unless of course you are a wheelchair user that has to use a busy
road as there is no room on the path.

I expect many people look forward to the day when authorities have as
much zeal to go after the people that leave their car on the pavement

If cars are regularly parked in such a way that they cause
danger/inconvenience and complaint from other road users, the council
will normally issue a warning then take enforcement action.

The problem is that the condition has to be regular. There is no proper
process to discourage the chance parker.

as they do with the people that put out small items that are much
easier to move out of the way.

A whole load of bikes that have been arranged on the pavement is not
easy to move out of the way, and will be impossible for someone in a

I was considering the pump, since it is the item under discussion. I
accept the rest of what you say.

Old August 2nd 17, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 20:56:05 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

the disabled folk.

You must be very fat.

Note how the ****** says: "Your taxes are funding the disabled folk".
Not his taxes.

Good catch! Especially as he ALWAYS talks about "ours" and "we", as if that
would hide that he's an abnormal idiot. ;-)
Old August 2nd 17, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 02-Aug-17 8:13 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 20:07:01 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

On 02-Aug-17 4:25 PM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 16:21:53 +0100, soup

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 13:23:30 +0100, soup

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 10:32:08 +0100, soup wrote:

The bicycle is irrelevant. Most towns have shops with a few goods
outside to encourage custom. And the council are blatantly lying.
You
can see in the first photo in the article that it isn't a narrow
pavement.
Looks pretty narrow to me.
https://postimg.org/image/l9idspecv/
See where the cars are parked, then the shops display items
filling the
remaining gap.
Yes I know this is not the aspect that has the pump, but I tend to
think
the pump was not why the council got nippy in the first
Oh those poor pedestrians having to walk round something.... For
****'s
sake people need to stop being so damn pedantic and get on with
life.
..and people with pushchairs or wheelchairs have they to stop
being "so
damn pedantic"? Hardly room to walk between those bikes and those
cars never mind if you are carrying shopping or, heaven forbid in a
wheelchair.

If the wheelchair or pram can't get through where I can walk through,
it's unfit for purpose.

Bull****, a wheelchair is a lot wider than a person walking.

Then it shouldn't be.

How can a wheelchair not be wider than the person sitting in it?

Because your arse is not as wide as your shoulders/arms.

And it should be able to traverse a kerb to go
round the obstruction.

So you want them to go in the road, don't forget they have to go down
the kerb perpendicular to it, get past the obstruction, and then go up
the kerb in the same way.

And the wheels should be capable of this. How do they cope with wheelie
bins?

Besides
which the pavement would be wide enough if private companies didn't
clutter it with their crap

99% of people might be interested in the bicycles. 1% of people might
be obstructed. They lose 99 to 1.

Hardly likely that 99% of people will be interested in cycles.

It will be a hell of a lot more than the number in chairs.

Why change the entire world for them instead of
just changing their wheelchairs? Your taxes are funding the disabled
folk.

Your not changing the entire world you are just telling people they
can't clutter up what are essentially public areas with private crap

The entire world has been ****ed over by the disabled. They think they
have the right to be able to go everywhere in their chairs.

So you want them to be second class people.

If I was disabled I'd not expect every single place in the world to be
made wheelchair friendly. I'd go to the places that were.

Just as, as a vegetarian, I don't expect every restaurant to cater for me.

****ing
ramps everywhere, extra expense for all. Parking spaces marked disabled
everywhere (although they're handy as they're always empty for me to
use).

Can you post a picture of you using a disabled bay without a blue badge,
please give date, time and location.

**** off grasser.

You must be really proud of this post.

---

Old August 2nd 17, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:
[...]

Go sign on, on your nominated date, ******.
**** poor 42 year old failure. What a ****** you really are Hucker.

I think you may be doing a disservice to ******s.

---

Old August 2nd 17, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:

[...]

He does not know the meaning of the word.
This is a true unemployable low life pikey.
No woman, no money, no hope and soon no house.

---

Old August 2nd 17, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Unlike you I can think straight. Why do we have 10 disabled parking bays at a supermarket when only 1 has a disabled person in it, and the rest are left empty? Are we expecting more invalids soon?

Why does the country spend millions making everything disabled friendly, instead of thousands making the disabled able to cope with things as they are?

What gives the government the right to take my taxes and spend them on things I didn't authorise? You want to help the disabled, you give money to a charity, but taking it from me is THEFT.

--
Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
Old August 2nd 17, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 21:10:32 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

On 02/08/17 19:08, Rob Morley wrote:

If cars are regularly parked in such a way that they cause
danger/inconvenience and complaint from other road users, the
council will normally issue a warning then take enforcement
action.

The problem is that the condition has to be regular. There is no
proper process to discourage the chance parker.

I suspect a lot of those chance parkers will use a bit of pavement
that's popular with other chance parkers, such as near a newsagent,
off-licence or chippy. Alternatively near a nursery, school, doctor's
surgery etc. In those cases it doesn't matter that it's not often the
same driver, it will still be enough of a problem that the council does
something about it.

A whole load of bikes that have been arranged on the pavement is not
easy to move out of the way, and will be impossible for someone in

I was considering the pump, since it is the item under discussion. I
accept the rest of what you say.

The issue with the pump is what the newspaper or shop owners have
invented to make it seem that the council is being unreasonable, and
that the shop owners are just innocent victims who are being persecuted
for a generous gesture to help the community. I love the way that
they're playing the "community" card when their advertising shows that
they're just wannabe hipsters.
I'm not completely unsympathetic to their problem, having worked at a
few places that had problems with neighbours and shared spaces or lines
of demarcation, but they really do need to get that application to the
council sorted.
Old August 2nd 17, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 22:09:09 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

You must be really proud of this post.

Unlike you I can think straight. Why do we have 10 disabled parking bays
at a supermarket when only 1 has a disabled person in it, and the rest
are left empty? Are we expecting more invalids soon?

What's with that "we" of yours, sociopath? Do you think you could hide your
idiocy by pretending to be part of an imaginary group that you believe you
belong to? BG

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange world:
"Someone (a Scotsman) once told me he doesn't bother wiping his arse if he's
Old August 2nd 17, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

[...]

Must be a strange supermarket, not like any I have seen.

Are we expecting more invalids soon?

Who is this 'we'?

Why does the country spend millions making everything disabled friendly,
instead of thousands making the disabled able to cope with things as
they are?

Do please tell this group how many thousands it would take to help the
disabled to cope, and what you would suggest doing?

What gives the government the right to take my taxes and spend them on
things I didn't authorise? You want to help the disabled, you give
money to a charity, but taking it from me is THEFT.

What charity would be able to provide closer access to facilities that
the disabled might want to use?

---

OT cyclist fined after running a red light. doug UK 6 July 21st 17 03:29 AM
discount girl easter dress baby girl briggs washington state northface metropolis girl [email protected] Recumbent Biking 0 March 24th 08 01:37 PM
Lemonade drinkers John Hearns UK 27 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
Useful gadget for Trike owners - DIY stand from scrap wood (Swiftlet) Paul W Recumbent Biking 2 November 25th 04 10:00 AM
Melbourne Council wants to startup 'free bike' schemeikes flyingdutch Australia 15 March 3rd 04 05:41 PM