Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004

Old August 28th 03, 10:29 PM
David Cowie

Default Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004

It's back to Chappies! Your intrepid team from the Cycle Tour Office
went sloshing about in the mud, dodging construction equipment
yesterday (no rocks!) and are delighted to be able to report that the
contractors are on schedule - so it's all systems go for March 14,
2004 when you will be cycling over the 'new look' Chapman's Peak.

Will you be burning the midnight oil on Sunday August 31 waiting for
entries to open at www.cycletour.co.za at 00h01 on September 1 2003?
We closed within 33 days of opening last year - we expect to close
even earlier this year - so don't delay, enter early.

Our IT partners have given the site a total new look - we hope you
will be as impressed as we are!

Entry forms will be available at all branches of Independent
Newspapers, Pick 'n Pay and leading cycle dealers during the week
beginning September 1.

Travel in style to the Tour! EduSport Travel have joined the Cycle
Tour family as the sole travel partner for the 2004 Cape Argus Pick 'n
Pay Cycle Tour. They have negotiated exclusive deals with a number of
organisations and will make sure that you have a smooth trip to Cape
Town in March 2004. Contact them at tel +27 (0)31 3034340 or log onto
the Cycle Tour website for more information on special cycle Tour
packages.

There appears to be some confusion with regard to timing chips. It is
a prerequisite of entry that you have your own Winning Time chip for
the 2004 and future Tours.

You will be able to purchase a chip on our website at a cost of R80.
PPA (formerly WPPPA) members get a discount of R45, which they claim
back from PPA. If you have bought a chip but do not have the number,
tick the relevant block and we will get this information from Winning
Time. There are eight collection options for you to choose from when
you purchase your chip on our site.

Overseas entrants paying EUR50 will be given a chip with their race
packs. Overseas entrants are requested to forward details of events
they have participated in to &a [remove
the ~ and the &] should they want to be seeded. We need info on events
you have participated in - distance and degree of difficulty of the
course, number of participants, winning time, your time.

The Liberty Cycling Seeding series gets going again on September 28
2003 with the Plettenberg Bay Rotary Cycle Tour (103 km) -
www.plettcycle.co.za

The other five remaining events in the series a
Pick 'n Pay Amashovashova - October 26 - www.amashovashova.co.za
Pick 'n Pay OFM Classic - 1 November -
Westcon Rotary Cycle Classic - 2 November - www.supercycling.co.za
Pick 'n Pay 94.7 Cycle Challenge -

Die Burger/Sanlam Cycle Tour - www.burgersanlam.co.za

You have to have done at least one of the events in the series and/or
the 2003 Cycle Tour to be considered for seeding - the 2002 Cycle Tour
is not a seeding event.

Tandems - the results of the tandem poll have been carefully analysed
and, in the interest of keeping as many tandem riders as possible
happy, tandem riders will be seeded as follows:

Racing tandem category - to qualify for this group, the average of the
combined indexes must equate to 20 or better. Cyclists who do not
qualify for the racing tandem category but whose average index is
equal to 45 or less, will start in the group for which their index
qualifies them with the option to drop down to AA group, if they so
wish.

Tandem riders with an average index of over 45 will start in AA group.

That's all for now - other than to wish you happy and safe cycling -
trust you will be joining us on March 14 2004

All at the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay Cycle Tour office