Wrong way round lighting in Twickers

Old November 29th 03, 09:30 PM
SimonJ

Default Wrong way round lighting in Twickers

Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights,

No they are not, where did you get that one from?

Old November 29th 03, 09:51 PM
Danny Colyer

SimonJ responded to my response to Simonb:
Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights,

with:
No they are not, where did you get that one from?

See my reply to Tony W (have I wandered into some strange alternative
reality where people don't have surnames?).

But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing *without* at least one
white reversing lamp? I certainly haven't. I have, on one occasion,
seen a car reversing with the reversing lamp not lit, but it was there.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old November 30th 03, 10:50 AM
MatSav

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:51:58 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
wrote:

But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing *without* at least one
white reversing lamp?

Plenty of them on the road. I believe that a lot of vehicles pre-1976
didn't have them.

--
MatSav
Old November 30th 03, 11:13 AM
rifleman

"MatSav" matthew D O T savage A T felthamscouts DOT org D O T uk wrote in
message ...
wrote:

But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing *without* at least one
white reversing lamp?

Plenty of them on the road. I believe that a lot of vehicles pre-1976
didn't have them.

certainly - I had a 1972 MG Midget that didn't have them and my 1971 SIII
Landover certainly doesn't!

Old November 30th 03, 11:13 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Danny Colyer wrote:

But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing without at least one
white reversing lamp?

Yes, plenty, mostly goods vehicles. I've also seen cars driving along
forwards with the reversing lamps lit.

--
Guy
===
Old November 30th 03, 09:32 PM
Jon Martin

Simonb was sufficiently re-animated to talk about Wrong way round
lighting in Twickers
Jon Martin wrote:

he ~damn~ near got knocked off by
me once or twice.

You didn't learn the first time?

As I say (and I say this as a fair weather cyclist and cold/wet weather
driver rather than POB or PIC) he really ~does~ practically disappear.
It's like special, high intensity camouflage. It's actually worse than
POBs with no lights at all!

1) As I look up the road, I assume that red lights are facing /
travelling away from me.

What about stopped/reversing cars?

As I said, most of the cars are stopped at the traffic lights up the
road. Anyhow, leaving reversing lights (whether working or even required
as discussed in other posts) out, cars have continuous lights, so it's
possible to see their vector, if any.

2) Cos it's flashing, as previously discussed on this NG, it's very
difficult to locate and/or tell which way he's going due to the lack
of a continuous visual cue.

In which case it might make you drive a bit more carefully?

I certainly have to pull out from the parking more carefully purely
because of him. I might mention that I only claimed to have ~nearly~
collided. As I cover my brakes whilst pulling off the forecourt (I have
to roll backwards), the couple of times I suddenly realised (ie at the
moment I could see ~him~ clearly and continuously rather than just his
flashing light) I had sufficient time to stop. How careful should I be!

I feel that rather than being something new and different, calling
attention to him, his defiance of convention is more likely to get him
killed than not. Any colour ~but~ red might work to make him visible and
make drivers take care, but red means back end/going away. As I didn't
start this thread, I'd suggest I'm not the only one to think so.....

Cheers

Jon
--
Why does everything nice I buy at the moment keep @##*%ing breaking?
NOT!! nospam=defblade
Old November 30th 03, 09:50 PM
Jeremy Stein

wrote:

SimonJ responded to my response to Simonb:
Reversing
cars are legally required to display white reversing lights,

with:
No they are not, where did you get that one from?

See my reply to Tony W (have I wandered into some strange alternative
reality where people don't have surnames?).

But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing *without* at least one
white reversing lamp? I certainly haven't. I have, on one occasion,
seen a car reversing with the reversing lamp not lit, but it was there.

Halfords (and probably others too) rear lighting boards don't have
them, so if the car's lights are blocked by a bike being carried on
the back, then you won't see them.

Jeremy
Old December 1st 03, 11:56 AM
Dave Kahn

Jon Martin wrote in message ...

I feel that rather than being something new and different, calling
attention to him, his defiance of convention is more likely to get him
killed than not. Any colour ~but~ red might work to make him visible and
make drivers take care, but red means back end/going away. As I didn't
start this thread, I'd suggest I'm not the only one to think so.....

I started this thread and I agree with you. Putting a red light on the
front is a really stupid thing to do, and is probably more dangerous
than having no light at all.

--
Dave...
Old December 1st 03, 02:47 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Danny Colyer wrote:
But have you ever seen a motor vehicle reversing *without* at least one
white reversing lamp? I certainly haven't.

I've driven one, but it was years ago, and I did fit a reversing light
not long after getting it (Renault 6, I found the reversing light switch
off a 5 fits onto a 6 gearbox too).
Old December 1st 03, 11:22 PM
Vincent Wilcox

Tim Hall wrote:
More exciting are those with a badly adjusted gearbox/reverse light
switch so that the reverse light flashes on as they change gear. Cause
the heart to jump a little when you first see it happen in front of
you.

Are they not automatics changing from N to L or something?