Looking for 40-50 mile rural road rides in PA or New York

Old July 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Pat Wang

Default Looking for 40-50 mile rural road rides in PA or New York

We're looking for 3 or 4 rural rides someplace in mid New York State or mid
to eastern PA. We have road bikes so need well paved roads. Hills are
o.k. but nothing that's a total killer of a ride. Anyone have anyplace to
check out online route maps or have any rides you've done?
Cindy

Old July 11th 03, 05:45 PM
billcotton

We're looking for 3 or 4 rural rides someplace in mid New York State or mid
to eastern PA. We have road bikes so need well paved roads.

For The Leigh Valley area;
http://www.lehighwheelmen.org/cue-menu.htm
For the Philadelphia area.
http://www.billcotton.com/philadelph...cle_trails.htm
and
http://www.billcotton.com/Bill%20cot...e%20sheets.htm

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192'
/ / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364

//
www.billcotton.com

Old July 12th 03, 09:01 PM
John Knez

Pat Wang wrote:
We're looking for 3 or 4 rural rides someplace in mid New York State or mid
to eastern PA. We have road bikes so need well paved roads. Hills are
o.k. but nothing that's a total killer of a ride. Anyone have anyplace to
check out online route maps or have any rides you've done?
Cindy

Owego, NY, is a great place to start riding from. It's in south central
NY, near the PA border. If you look on a map, don't mistake if for
OSwego, near Lake Ontario. Once you get out of the village, the main
highways leading out of Owego are generally level and in good condition,
with wide shoulders. Traffic is not too heavy. Depending on the day and
hour, it can even be extremely light. I've done the following:

Owego, NY to Moravia, NY, via RT 96 and RT 38. About 40 miles one way,
mostly rolling, no big steep hills. Moravia is a scenic little town,
about 2 or 3 miles north of Millard Filmore State Park. The park itself
is a nice destination. Lots of good picnicing spots, it's a nice place
to take a break before riding back.

Owego, NY to Ithaca, NY, about 30 miles via Rts 96 & 96B. Most of the
road is rolling, with a few small hills. Rt 96B into Ithaca ends in a
rather long, but not too steep hill. I wouldn't describe it as killer,
but it is long. Ithaca's a good destination. Check out
http://www.cayugalake.com/ithaca/default.html

Owego, NY to Waverly, NY, via Rt 17C. About 20 miles one way. A few
small hills, but mostly flat to rolling.

Aside from the above, there is an abundance of good cycling in the area.
The main highways I mentioned above are nice, and I ride them
frequently, but the paved back roads are even nicer. They don't have
paved shoulders, but the traffic density is so low that it really
doesn't matter.

-John

Old July 17th 03, 02:12 AM
Jim Spencer

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:24:14 GMT, "Pat Wang"
wrote:

We're looking for 3 or 4 rural rides someplace in mid New York State or mid
to eastern PA. We have road bikes so need well paved roads. Hills are
o.k. but nothing that's a total killer of a ride. Anyone have anyplace to
check out online route maps or have any rides you've done?
Cindy

The Finger Lakes Cycling Club (Ithaca, NY) has several cue sheets and
maps for rides in the central NY area.
http://www.flcycling.org/flcc/touring/rides/index.htm

I live just across the border in PA and do 95% of my riding in NY
because the roads in NY are so much better for bicycling than those in
PA.