Convert hybrid to road bike.

Old May 30th 04, 03:06 AM
TinManX

Default Convert hybrid to road bike.

Hi,

I was wondering, can I convert my Trek hybrid bike into a road bike just by
changing the handlebar to a drop-down handlebar?

--Francis

Old May 30th 04, 03:58 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
TinManX wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering, can I convert my Trek hybrid bike into a road bike just by
changing the handlebar to a drop-down handlebar?

You will need stem, handlebars, brake levers, shifters and handlebar
tape. Get a cable set if not included with the new parts. If the
hybrid bike uses linear-pull brakes then you will probably also
need a doodad which corrects the cable pull so the brakes work
properly, unless you buy road bike brake levers designed for use
with v-brakes or replace the v-brakes with cantilevers. This is
a pretty expensive change.
Old May 30th 04, 11:54 AM
Badger

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:06:44 -0700, "TinManX" wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering, can I convert my Trek hybrid bike into a road bike just by
changing the handlebar to a drop-down handlebar?

--Francis

What kind of Trek hybrid do you have? If it's not one of the FX versions, i.e. without the front suspension forks, I'd
advise getting a Trek 1200 road bike and just pass the hybrid down, or use it as your backup bike. Everyone needs a
backup bike, in case the reg. bike is in the shop, etc., and converting a 'heavy' hybrid to a road bike will work cross
purposes.

-Badger

Old May 31st 04, 07:38 AM
Herbie Jurvanen

In , Badger wrote:

What kind of Trek hybrid do you have? If it's not one of the FX versions,
i.e. without the front suspension forks, I'd advise getting a Trek 1200
road bike and just pass the hybrid down, or use it as your backup bike.

On the other hand, somebody on a budget who has a hybrid but who wants a
"road bike" may find handlebar conversion an appealing option. Not everybody
can just go out and buy a $800 second bike.

Everyone needs a backup bike, in case the reg. bike is in the shop, etc.,
and converting a 'heavy' hybrid to a road bike will work cross
purposes.

It depends on what the original poster meant by "road bike." I'm speaking up
because I actually did this myself with a hybrid when I finally got fed up
with the hybrid's bars. $190 bought drop bars, quill stem, brake levers,
bar-ends and shop time and now the thing is more or less a touring bike, and
something like that may (or may not) be enough for the OP's needs.

--
Herbie J.
Famous Curator
Old May 31st 04, 03:29 PM
Badger_South

On 31 May 2004 06:38:58 GMT, Herbie Jurvanen wrote:

In , Badger wrote:

What kind of Trek hybrid do you have? If it's not one of the FX versions,
i.e. without the front suspension forks, I'd advise getting a Trek 1200
road bike and just pass the hybrid down, or use it as your backup bike.

On the other hand, somebody on a budget who has a hybrid but who wants a
"road bike" may find handlebar conversion an appealing option. Not everybody
can just go out and buy a $800 second bike.

Uh, well, 'listen' to my reply. Suspension forked hybrid - fergeddaboutit,
b/c you're going for racing characteristics, or speed and "road bike" with the drops.
Road bikes don't have no stinkin' suspension forks.

Get an "actual road bike" entry level if you must (Fuji? Trek 1200?)

That way you can 'correct' the mistake (IMO) of getting front fork suspension (which only adds
weight to a bike).

However, if a non-suspension version (already reasonably light), then convert away
as you have indicated, for only $200 bucks.

I'm thinking of exploring putting aero-bars on my hybrid (7500FX Trek). That might cost
$100 for the additional cabling and labor plus the bar.

Everyone needs a backup bike, in case the reg. bike is in the shop, etc.,
and converting a 'heavy' hybrid to a road bike will work cross
purposes.

It depends on what the original poster meant by "road bike." I'm speaking up
because I actually did this myself with a hybrid when I finally got fed up
with the hybrid's bars. $190 bought drop bars, quill stem, brake levers,
bar-ends and shop time and now the thing is more or less a touring bike, and
something like that may (or may not) be enough for the OP's needs.

But, surely you already have a back up bike?

Thx for the pricing info.

-Badger
Old May 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:29:10 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:
I'm thinking of exploring putting aero-bars on my hybrid (7500FX Trek). That might cost
$100 for the additional cabling and labor plus the bar.

Cabling? Most people adding aerobars don't put any controls on them.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 05:49 PM
Badger_South

wrote:
I'm thinking of exploring putting aero-bars on my hybrid (7500FX Trek). That might cost
$100 for the additional cabling and labor plus the bar.

Cabling? Most people adding aerobars don't put any controls on them.

OK, what about brakes? Looks like the ones I see on the Triathlons on OLN
(Outdoor Life Network) are fiddling with something out at the ends; figured
it was brakes, or shifters.

Isn't it difficult to suddenly jump back from the 'aero position', both arms in
the center and elbows resting on the pads to grab a brake lever if you have
a surprise car pull out or something?

-B
Old May 31st 04, 06:19 PM
Herbie Jurvanen

In , Badger_South wrote:

What kind of Trek hybrid do you have? If it's not one of the FX versions,
i.e. without the front suspension forks, I'd advise getting a Trek 1200
road bike and just pass the hybrid down, or use it as your backup bike.

On the other hand, somebody on a budget who has a hybrid but who wants a
"road bike" may find handlebar conversion an appealing option. Not everybody
can just go out and buy a $800 second bike.

Uh, well, 'listen' to my reply. Suspension forked hybrid - fergeddaboutit,
b/c you're going for racing characteristics, or speed and "road bike" with the drops.

Sorry, I mis-parsed your reply because I thought your i.e. clause expanded
upon "not one of the FX versions" rather than simply "the FX versions."

Road bikes don't have no stinkin' suspension forks.

I agree, even if certain companies don't:
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/ce/model-4RS8.html

--
Herbie J.
Famous Curator
Old May 31st 04, 06:27 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...

wrote:
I'm thinking of exploring putting aero-bars on my hybrid (7500FX Trek). That might cost
$100 for the additional cabling and labor plus the bar.

Cabling? Most people adding aerobars don't put any controls on them.

OK, what about brakes? Looks like the ones I see on the Triathlons on OLN
(Outdoor Life Network) are fiddling with something out at the ends; figured
it was brakes, or shifters.

If you're putting pure aero bars, yes there are controls; usually
shifters on the ends of the projecting arms, and brakes on the wider
spaced handles which are used for turns. But "clip-ons" (which are what
you add to standard handlebars) usually don't have controls on them.
Sometimes shifters, but even that's not that common.

Isn't it difficult to suddenly jump back from the 'aero position', both arms in
the center and elbows resting on the pads to grab a brake lever if you have
a surprise car pull out or something?

You just don't use them when you might need them in that situation; save
them for long runs with little to no cross-traffic. When you're down on
the bars, you have little control anyway, so you would need to switch
positions just to keep the bike in the correct position in the lane as
you slow down.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Road Bike or Hybrid? Need Help! K-Man General 25 November 21st 03 11:58 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM