A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

Old May 31st 04, 03:52 PM
Frank Krygowski

Default A not so great biking day.....(kinda long)

:: I've been using "clipless" pedals (there's a mis-named gadget, if
:: ever there was one)

Right! I thought maybe I was the only one thinking that...

Heh ;-) IIRC comes from the fact they don't have toeclips.

And now, enquiring minds are saying:

"But you don't clip in to toe clips, so how did THEY get THAT name??"

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old May 31st 04, 05:23 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 30 May 2004 07:25:26 -0400, Stephen Harding
wrote:
Your road bike might take more time to true than the hybrid
from the above story, but you should be able to true a wheel
even with the tight spaces of a road wheel, in just a few
minutes while out on the road.

My experience has been that modern road wheels are easier and
quicker to true than mtb/hybrid wheels. Don't know why...
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 05:28 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:41:40 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

:: Also, disengage _before_ the [red light|turn|stop|whatever], even if
:: you're not sure it [the light] will be red. Nobody says you have to
:: stay engaged until the last possible second. You can ride disengaged
:: until you're sure you won't need a foot on the ground.

Right...this is exactly what I tried to do the before the second
spill....but since I got clipped back in and didn't know it....I was kissing
the pavement!

Move your foot forward, so the pedal is under your arch, when riding
disengaged.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 05:33 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:16:54 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:
Yes...I read your post a couple of day ago and did exactly this arch thing
on Sunday. It seemed to work. Part of it is just getting use to having your
foot there...I can even pedal a few hundred yards like that....don't
particularly enjoy it though.

Don't pedal. Coast, unless pedalling is necessary.

As you get more practice, you'll be able to move your foot to a more
comfortable (but not quite clip-in) position.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 05:34 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:05:34 -0700, "MarkR"
wrote:
Yesterday, I rode to the end of my gravel drive (about two miles) and then

Lucky *******.

Question for clipless gurus: Does setting the clips up stiffer help avoid
unintended clip in?

My experience has been that stiffer tension only helps avoid
unintended release. Unintended entry can happen either way.

Also, the one place I seem to have a bit of trouble
unclipping is right at the top of the stroke. Any suggestions?

Practice, or avoid. Either strategy is fine.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 31st 04, 05:39 PM
Roger Zoul

Rick Onanian wrote:
:: On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:41:40 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::::: Also, disengage _before_ the [red light|turn|stop|whatever], even
::::: if you're not sure it [the light] will be red. Nobody says you
::::: have to stay engaged until the last possible second. You can ride
::::: disengaged until you're sure you won't need a foot on the ground.
:::
::: Right...this is exactly what I tried to do the before the second
::: spill....but since I got clipped back in and didn't know it....I
::: was kissing the pavement!
::
:: Move your foot forward, so the pedal is under your arch, when riding
:: disengaged.

I'm a little slow...but I've got that one figured out now

Old May 31st 04, 05:57 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

And now, enquiring minds are saying:

"But you don't clip in to toe clips, so how did THEY get THAT name??"

Toeclip - hint second part of name (is "toeclip" a term originating on this,
the European side of the pond??) :-)

And as clipless are minus the toe*clip*... they are, hence, *clip*less :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 31st 04, 06:00 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Indeed, in consulting the oracle, the fount of all knowledge, it seems I was
correct :-)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-m.html#clipless

"Up until the late '80s, the choice was between plain pedals or pedals with toe
clips and straps. Since "clipless" pedals provided a way to have a secure
attachment to the pedal without the use of toe clips, the name stuck, even
though it is sometimes confusing to newcomers."

If Sheldon agrees with me, then that's fine by me :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old May 31st 04, 06:45 PM
Roger Zoul

::: And now, enquiring minds are saying:
:::
::: "But you don't clip in to toe clips, so how did THEY get THAT
::: name??"
::
:: Toeclip - hint second part of name (is "toeclip" a term originating
:: on this, the European side of the pond??) :-)
::
:: And as clipless are minus the toe*clip*... they are, hence,
:: *clip*less :-)

But they aren't really *clip*less (as in free of clipping) since you
*clip*in and *clip*out. See?

Old May 31st 04, 07:20 PM
Rick Onanian

Oops, I forgot to post this one.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:57:18 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:
Plus, maybe they'll sell me a spoke wrench, too. I'll see her at 3pm. I
don't really understand how the spokes work to keep the wheel straight, so
I'll be reading up on that. Thank.

For the purpose of emergency semi-truing, work with spokes in the
area that is untrue.

To pull the rim to the left, tighten the ones that go to the left
side of the hub and loosen the ones that go to the right. Reverse
for opposite effect.

Then bring it in to the bike shop promptly for proper re-truing and
re-tensioning, which you will have screwed up horribly -- that's
okay, you needed to do it to get home!
--
Rick Onanian