the lure of the dark side starts young

Old June 12th 04, 03:37 PM
audrey

Default the lure of the dark side starts young

At Manchester's Bike 'Festival' this afternoon, sonandheir had his
first encounter with the dark side. He was most taken with 'bent
trike. Shouts of 'look!' 'wow!' and 'I want one!'. When
bloke-on-bent gave him a new shiny bike bell, his fate was sealed.

--

email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm
Old June 15th 04, 02:54 AM
anonymous coward

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:37:35 +0100, audrey wrote:

At Manchester's Bike 'Festival' this afternoon, sonandheir had his
first encounter with the dark side. He was most taken with 'bent
trike. Shouts of 'look!' 'wow!' and 'I want one!'.

How old?

When bloke-on-bent gave him a new shiny bike bell, his fate was sealed.

I've seen some very cute kiddie-recumbents on the web. Unfortunately
mostly home-made.

AC
Old June 15th 04, 08:57 AM
audrey

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:54:53 +0100, anonymous coward
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:37:35 +0100, audrey wrote:

At Manchester's Bike 'Festival' this afternoon, sonandheir had his
first encounter with the dark side. He was most taken with 'bent
trike. Shouts of 'look!' 'wow!' and 'I want one!'.

How old?

4.5

When bloke-on-bent gave him a new shiny bike bell, his fate was sealed.

I've seen some very cute kiddie-recumbents on the web. Unfortunately
mostly home-made.

Since Mummy is only half way through her Bike Maintenance for
Beginners course, it is likely to be some time before she progresses
to home-made bents :-)

email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm
Old June 15th 04, 08:58 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

anonymous coward wrote:

I've seen some very cute kiddie-recumbents on the web. Unfortunately
mostly home-made.

KMX Kart - available from a bentmonger near you
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/kmx_kart.shtml

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Old June 15th 04, 09:15 AM
David Martin

On 15/6/04 8:57 am, in article ,
"audrey" wrote:

Since Mummy is only half way through her Bike Maintenance for
Beginners course, it is likely to be some time before she progresses
to home-made bents :-)

You could do worse than a KMX-KART. See
www.kinetics.org.uk. Looks cool.

Don't let my kids see that link.

...d

Old June 15th 04, 09:40 AM
audrey

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:15:31 +0100, David Martin
wrote:

On 15/6/04 8:57 am, in article ,
"audrey" wrote:

Since Mummy is only half way through her Bike Maintenance for
Beginners course, it is likely to be some time before she progresses
to home-made bents :-)

You could do worse than a KMX-KART. See
www.kinetics.org.uk. Looks cool.

Don't let my kids see that link.

and don't let mine see the trets
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/trets.shtml

email = audmad aaatttt hhhottt mmmaailll dddoottt ccccoommm
Old June 15th 04, 09:46 AM
Roos Eisma

anonymous coward writes:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:37:35 +0100, audrey wrote:

At Manchester's Bike 'Festival' this afternoon, sonandheir had his
first encounter with the dark side. He was most taken with 'bent
trike. Shouts of 'look!' 'wow!' and 'I want one!'.

How old?

When bloke-on-bent gave him a new shiny bike bell, his fate was sealed.

I've seen some very cute kiddie-recumbents on the web. Unfortunately
mostly home-made.

This is a DIY kit to convert regular kid's bike into a recumbent:
http://www.ligfiets.net/fietsen/type.php3?id=114

Reports from the latest Cyclevision mentioned 'bent trikes for kids that
were regular products. Most parents seemed unable to resist buying them...

Roos

Old June 15th 04, 10:01 AM
David Martin

On 15/6/04 9:46 am, in article ,
"Roos Eisma" wrote:

This is a DIY kit to convert regular kid's bike into a recumbent:
http://www.ligfiets.net/fietsen/type.php3?id=114

Reports from the latest Cyclevision mentioned 'bent trikes for kids that
were regular products. Most parents seemed unable to resist buying them...

Now that is tempting.. I have a spare 16" girls bike at home.... The
impression I get is that it is a glue and screw fitting, rather than
requiring any welding etc. I can translate about half of the Dutch, but some
of the more technical bits are a mystery.

Hmm... wonder if it will fit on the raleigh...

...d

Old June 15th 04, 11:21 AM
Roos Eisma

David Martin writes:

Now that is tempting.. I have a spare 16" girls bike at home.... The
impression I get is that it is a glue and screw fitting, rather than
requiring any welding etc. I can translate about half of the Dutch, but some
of the more technical bits are a mystery.

Hmm... wonder if it will fit on the raleigh...

The manufacturer has a little bit more info:

http://www.spidernet.nl/~de_liggende...er/dekidt.html

What you get is:
drawings and descriptions, birch multiplex for the front frame, preformed
wooden seat, breathable seat cushion, bottom bracket etc, steer
lengthener, chain and chain protector, materials to montage it onto the
bike, and glue, nails etc.

What you need is:
One or more hands, one or more weekends, a wedgie, tools like hammer,
screwdriver, glue clamp (translation?), drill, and for the nicely rounded
lines a [mumblemubmle] saw.

They do mention that the quality of the starting bike affects the end
result, and improvisation may be needed if the frame has a non-standard
shape. I've got the impression that they expect a coasterbrake on the
bike, which is very standard in the NL, don't know about here.

If you order one I wouldn't mind helping out. I can point at tools better
than think of the English word

Roos
Old June 15th 04, 11:29 AM
Roger Hughes

David Martin wrote:
On 15/6/04 9:46 am, in article ,
"Roos Eisma" wrote:

This is a DIY kit to convert regular kid's bike into a recumbent:
http://www.ligfiets.net/fietsen/type.php3?id=114

Reports from the latest Cyclevision mentioned 'bent trikes for kids that
were regular products. Most parents seemed unable to resist buying them...

Now that is tempting.. I have a spare 16" girls bike at home.... The
impression I get is that it is a glue and screw fitting, rather than
requiring any welding etc. I can translate about half of the Dutch, but some
of the more technical bits are a mystery.

Well, you have to cut the main structural member to shape out of
(supplied) plywood, which sort of rules out welding.

Roger