300 miles of secret cycle paths have been discovered

Old June 1st 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default 300 miles of secret cycle paths have been discovered

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 11:54:55 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:25, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:15:29 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 31/05/2017 21:08,
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:04:01 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 31/05/2017 09:29, TMS320 wrote:
On 31/05/17 09:15, MrCheerful wrote:
On 31/05/2017 09:11, TMS320 wrote:
On 31/05/17 07:10, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/05/2017 23:59, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/05/17 21:48, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/05/2017 20:37, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/05/17 14:24, MrCheerful wrote:
On 30/05/2017 13:44, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/05/17 12:45, JNugent wrote:
On 30/05/2017 08:26, TMS320 wrote:

No, I need someone to show where in government legislation
I can find road tax defined.

Why do you need this? Just what's wrong with your ****ed up
head? Do you never meet people, do you never hear it called
road tax? Everybody either calls it road tax or a tax disk
(before they made it paperless).

Everybody does not.

You probably meant "Not everybody does", because "Everybody
does not" (with its completely different meaning) is patently
untrue and a non-starter.

Most people will understand the meaning. Besides, my phrase
does not mean "nobody does" so is not an untruth.

That being the case, we can easily forgive your clumsy attempt
at manipulation of the language and accept that you were right
in what you were trying to say but couldn't quite manage:
there are indeed some people who - for various reasons which
are entirely their own - do not call Road Tax "Road Tax". For
that reason JSW's "Everybody either calls it road tax or a tax
disk" has to be seen as a figure of speech with "everybody"
only meaning "a majority".

There, for instance, some people who cannot deal with anything
in terms not provided for in "government legislation". There
are others who cannot deal with any concepts in a way which
undermines a point they wish to try to make and are prepared
to go to ever more extreme extremities to avoid admitting the
truth. There may well be a considerable overlap between those
two groups.

Look up the evolution of the English language,
colloquialisms, something, please. You're boring the group
to tears.

Taking about something nick named "road tax" is the truly
boring bit.

The real boring bit is the anorak-ish harumphing insistence
that the majority are wrong and the self-interested minority
are right.

JSW is right insofar as he remarks (in terms) that most people
call Road Tax "Road Tax" and that is is perfectly acceptable
to refer to that tax in that way. I would add that anyone
professing not to undserstand the term is trying, but failing,
to be deceitful.

"Government legislation" so loved of another poster here has
never yet managed to define and prescribe the English language
as she is spoken.

It is notable how you consistently dare not use the term VED as
though you're frightened it will summon the devil. It is very
simple to say "most people refer to VED as road tax".

Remind us - what is "road tax"? Try to keep it to one sentence
containing less than 10 words.

Ten words would be too few and would leave out something that
the anal retentives will argue about.

Four words. It is a nickname.

Road tax, is a tax which is paid by the majority of UK (and most
other countries') motor car, motorcycle and lorry, owners, so
that said vehicles may be legally (as far as that tax is
related) driven or parked on the public roads on a regular or
irregular, frequent or infrequent basis.

You're another that's obviously afraid of uttering the term VED.

Not at all, vehicle tax is another name for it, but road tax is
what VED is known as,

Well done. It wasn't that difficult.

There is no dispute about it, but road tax is what it is known as,

Yes, the tax is merely "known as".

principally since it is legally necessary in the majority of cases
in order to use the motor vehicles on the public roads. Why do you
find that hard to accept?

It is not difficult to accept that there is a tax. It's moronist that
fail to grasp that it's JUST A TAX and the name they have given it is
JUST A NAME.

and it is an accurately descriptive name.

You see, you're one of the ones that has the difficulty.

What "difficulty"?
He correctly asserts that Road Tax is a tax charged on the use of motor
vehcicles on the road (even if, quite ill-advisedly IMHO, the rate for a
small minority of motor vehicles is £nil).
It's a tax.
It is charged on motor vehicles in order that they may lawfully be used
on a road.
It is not charged on motor vehicles not used on the road (eg, museum
exhibits, new unsold cars, construction plant used on private land (eg
JCBs), golf-carts, etc.
It's a charge for using a motor vehicle on the roads.
It's a tax.
And it is not levied on vehicles unless they are (to be) used on the roads.

Road Tax.

How much revenue does this mythical 'Road Tax' raise?

I expect that mythical taxes only raise imaginary amounts of revenue,
but as to the product of the actual tax known as Road Tax, shrug I
don't know, am not inclined to look it up, and it simply doesn't matter,
since the amount will have no bearing on the issue.

I appreciate, though, that some very silly people think it does matter..

So if what you believe is 'actual' road tax only raised 4s6d that would still mean motorists pay tax to use the roads?

What is the point in such fanciful musings? I pay... er... rather more
than that on my own.

How much is spent on motorways?

I don't know, am not inclined to look it up, and it simply doesn't
matter, since the amount will have no bearing on the issue.

I appreciate, though, that some very silly people think it does matter..

The fact that motorists are sponging freeloaders (as you now admit)

I admit nothing of the sort. You are fabricating - in other words, lying.

matters to those of us who pay high rate tax.

Well, don't forget about VAT on the new price of vehicles (*and* on s/h
prices if commercial vehicles), plus all that tx on motor fuel, plus
insurance tax, plus VAT on the cost of spares, repairs and servicing.

How much VAT is charged on a typical HGV tractor unit?

hint Buy some armour plated boots before you answer.

...whatever that's believed to mean.

Do some research.

On what?

I have plenty of that to do almost every day already. Not stuff you'd
understand, of course.

Do you accept that what you call Road Tax is officially called VED or Vehicle Tax?

Old June 1st 17, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

Why does that matter to you?

I have already said - several times - that Road Tax had its statutory
name changed. It didn't stop being a Road Tax for the name change (which
was and remains irrelevant).

Do you know the difference between (a) turning a car about between kerbs
by means of forward and reverse gears and (b) a three-point - or as the
case may be, a five-point - turn?
Old June 1st 17, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

[...]

I'll take that as a Yes.

How much revenue does this VED/Road Tax raise?

Old June 1st 17, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

I had already said - several times - that Road Tax had its statutory
name changed. It didn't stop being a Road Tax for the name change (which
was and remains irrelevant).

None of this - unlike JC's "excisable purposes" - is a secret.

How much revenue does this VED/Road Tax raise?

I don't know and as you already know, I am not inclined to start Googling.

But it must be a lot of money, especially when added to all the VAT
charged on the sale price of vehicles, accessories, spares, repairs and
servicing costs (repairs and servicing, plus lubricating oil, were
originally VAT-free for rather obvious reasons), plus the VAT, duty and
VAT on duty charged on fuel, plus insurance premium tax, plus tolls
(especially on estuarial crossings which have already recovered their
construction costs).

Billions and billions of pounds per year (in the tens of billions, at
least).

But you're going to say it's threepence-ha'penny or something.
Old June 1st 17, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

[...]

No need to add in anything.
I am only interested in VED or what you call Road Tax.

Billions and billions of pounds per year (in the tens of billions, at
least).

Where do your figures come from?

But you're going to say it's threepence-ha'penny or something.

Unlike you I am interested in the truth.

Old June 1st 17, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/06/17 13:54, JNugent wrote:
On 01/06/2017 09:21, TMS320 wrote:

[ ... ]

Might as well talk to a tree for all the difference it makes...

Or a cyclist?

Even a JNugent.

Would you ask somebody a) "have you paid road tax on your car?"

Not at all likely in that format. You would ask "Have you paid your Road
Tax?".

As always, happy to help on matters of how English is spoken in the UK.
We know you have difficulties with the topic.

or b) "have you taxed your car?". The best name for something...?

You *might* say that ("Have you taxed your car?"). But "Have you paid -
or got - your Road Tax?" would probably be the more commom usage.
"Have you paid Road Tax on your car" seems so stilted, contrived and
so.. well... silly... that it is unlikely that anyone but a cyclist
would ask it in that format.

Capitalising is very silly.

The problem isn't really the name but connotations that go with it.
Moronists seem to believe that in paying their beloved "road tax" it's
equivalent to buying a service or special favours.

They *are* buying a service. That service is permission for that car to
be used on the roads.

It's like buying a cinema ticket or a football club season ticket.
No-one will perform a personal or specialised service for you in any of
those cases, but you are receiving a service nevertheless, even though
it is provided to many others at the same time on the same sort of terms.

It's not like that at all. Paying for such things gives the purchaser
access to places non-purchasers can't access. The roads are open to all
and the tax is optional, based on the user's free choice of vehicle.

Just as we have a "car tax" (or vehicle tax),

Or, as it is much more commonly known, Road Tax.

we have a television tax - which for many is more expensive than the
former. They're more or less on the same terms. Nobody mangles the
latter into something it is not.

The BBC Tax is never suggested to be a general payment into the Treasury
- not even by cyclists (except, it seems, for you).

The Television Licence / BBC Tax never goes near the Exchequer. It is
collected by an arm of the BBC and entirely kept by them.

It's about as bad an example as you could possibly have chosen.

It's money out of my bank account to a public body. What happens to it
after that is irrelevant to the argument.

Old June 2nd 17, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

[...]

There's no need to add in the vast majority of the taxation paid by
motorised road users, you say?

Whyever not? Apart from not being interested in the truth

I am only interested in VED or what you call Road Tax.

But why?

Billions and billions of pounds per year (in the tens of billions, at
least).

Where do your figures come from?

What figures?

I have provided no figures.

But you're going to say it's threepence-ha'penny or something.

Unlike you I am interested in the truth...

....and that's why you are going to ignore the vast majority of road-user
taxation.

Yeah, right.
Old June 2nd 17, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

[...]

Because VED is the only motoring specific tax.

I am only interested in VED or what you call Road Tax.

But why?

Because VED is the only motoring specific tax.

Billions and billions of pounds per year (in the tens of billions, at
least).

Where do your figures come from?

What figures?

I have provided no figures.

Then what was the basis of your tens of billions claim?

But you're going to say it's threepence-ha'penny or something.

Unlike you I am interested in the truth...

...and that's why you are going to ignore the vast majority of road-user
taxation.

Yeah, right.

We are only talking about motoring taxation, i.e.VED.

London cycle paths somebody[_2_] Techniques 12 December 2nd 15 12:34 AM
Cycle Paths or Not? Steve C[_2_] UK 49 May 15th 08 09:32 PM
Discovered an amazing meditation secret [email protected] Techniques 1 April 19th 08 06:01 AM
Cycle paths or psyclepaths? Tom Crispin UK 58 April 13th 08 12:22 PM
I've discovered the magic secret Arthur Clune UK 7 August 29th 05 08:55 PM