impulsive used purchase. Did I do OK?

Old August 12th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Default impulsive used purchase. Did I do OK?

Mike wrote:
I was looking to buy an entry-level road bike. This is my first road bike.

After test-driving a new 2006 Fuji and new 2006 Raleigh, I then spotted an
older used bike at my local shop.

It is a "Novara Strada"...apparently an REI brand. Front and Rear
deraillers say Shimano 105, front crank is a Shimano RX100, and the
shifters/brakes say Shimano RSX. Frame looks imaculate. Very nice shape.
New tires too.

This thing felt nicer, smoother, and more comfortable than the new bikes!
I decided what the heck, dealt them down to $390 and bought it.

Did I do ok? Are the components any good? All the new stuff I was
looking at had the "Sora" components. I have no idea how old the bike is.

The MOST important thing on a bike is the frame...not the components.
If the bike rides well, is comfy, means ya want to get on it and ride,
it is the right bike for you. Components wear out, get
replaced...frames are tougher to do this with...'nicer, smoother, more
comfy-you summed it up-good choice!!!

Old August 12th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blair P. Houghton

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
The MOST important thing on a bike is the frame...not the components.

That's a bit tautological.

It's hard to find a perfectly fitting frame. It's hard to /define/ a
perfectly fitting frame.

So the rider position is adjustable. Seat and bar height,
stem length, seat position (fore/aft, pitch, and, in rare cases,
yaw), seat width (and depth, if padded), bar length, crank
length, pedal thickness and Q, cleat position (fore/aft, yaw,
and, in rare cases, roll).

Gives you a lot of leeway in choosing a frame. Which may
free up some bucks for bling in the gruppo.

If the bike rides well, is comfy, means ya want to get on it and ride,
it is the right bike for you.

It is one of many acceptable bikes for you.

Components wear out, get
replaced...frames are tougher to do this with...'nicer, smoother, more
comfy-you summed it up-good choice!!!

Regardless, there's a noticeable difference in feel with good
bearings and well-engineered shifting and precise braking.

And we haven't even talked about those round things at either end...

--Blair

Old August 12th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

snip other stuff I agree with

And we haven't even talked about those round things at either end...

The first thing I suggest to riders asking my opinion on such things on
how to "upgrade" their bike is for them to try good tires inflated to a
reasonable pressure. Aside from making sure a rider has a proper
position, IMO good tires is one of the easiest ways to imrove the feel
of a bike.

I see people around here contemplating getting carbon frames for the
comfort while they are riding around on $15 tires at 130psi on rough
roads!

Joseph