Salute To Cycling

Old March 6th 04, 03:32 PM
Derek White

Default Salute To Cycling

I'm not sure whether anyone here can help, indeed, I'm not sure whether
anybody anywhere can help, but I'm looking for a small softback booklet (I
guess in size about the same as the old "Commando" booklets) called "Salute
To Cycling". I know I got one back in the '60's, when my parents purchased
my first bilke for me. Since then, it has gone the way of many old things,
and disappeared. If anyone here knows where I might obtain a copy (although
it would be long ago out of print), I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,
Derek White.

Old March 6th 04, 04:48 PM
Robin Norton

Dear Derek, I remember this little book! .I had it too and would love to
have it to hand. Where you're going to dig it up, if at all, is anyone's
guess. There are websites who'll do a search for you. Good luck!
Rob N

Old March 6th 04, 05:20 PM
vernon levy

Is this what you are after?

URRY, FRANK
SALUTE TO CYCLING
UK: PHILLIPS. Soft Cover. Near Fine. Not Stated. 12mo. Not dated,
but c.1950. A trade publication by Phillips. An account of his cycling
tours.

Old March 6th 04, 05:39 PM
Derek White

"vernon levy" wrote in message
Is this what you are after?

URRY, FRANK
SALUTE TO CYCLING
UK: PHILLIPS. Soft Cover. Near Fine. Not Stated. 12mo. Not dated,
but c.1950. A trade publication by Phillips. An account of his cycling
tours.

Bloody Hell man, I think that's it! More info please:-)

Old March 6th 04, 05:42 PM
Cicero

"Derek White" wrote in message
I'm not sure whether anyone here can help, indeed, I'm not sure whether
anybody anywhere can help, but I'm looking for a small softback booklet (I
guess in size about the same as the old "Commando" booklets) called

"Salute
To Cycling". I know I got one back in the '60's, when my parents purchased
my first bilke for me. Since then, it has gone the way of many old things,
and disappeared. If anyone here knows where I might obtain a copy

(although
it would be long ago out of print), I would be extremely grateful.

Regards,
Derek White.

===============
If you're absolutely desperate you could try one of the 'Copyright'
libraries. A copy of almost everything that's published goes there. From
distant memory, the British Museum Library and the Bodleian are two of them,
but your local library would probably trace a copy closer to home. It might
not be worth all the effort.

Cic.

Old March 6th 04, 05:43 PM
Derek White

"Robin Norton" wrote in message
Dear Derek, I remember this little book! .I had it too and would love to
have it to hand. Where you're going to dig it up, if at all, is anyone's
guess. There are websites who'll do a search for you. Good luck!

Vernon's got some details. It would indeed be a miracle if somebody found
it:-)

Old March 6th 04, 05:44 PM
Derek White

"Cicero" wrote in message

===============
If you're absolutely desperate you could try one of the 'Copyright'
libraries. A copy of almost everything that's published goes there. From
distant memory, the British Museum Library and the Bodleian are two of

them,
but your local library would probably trace a copy closer to home. It

might
not be worth all the effort.

Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.

Old March 6th 04, 06:17 PM
Tony Raven

vernon levy wrote:
Is this what you are after?

URRY, FRANK
SALUTE TO CYCLING
UK: PHILLIPS. Soft Cover. Near Fine. Not Stated. 12mo. Not dated,
but c.1950. A trade publication by Phillips. An account of his cycling
tours.

Frank Urry who perceptively wrote in the dissenting section of the 1938
Ministry of Transport report on cycle safety "I cannot subscribe to the
recommendation of extending the building of cycle tracks, or the compulsory
use of them by cyclists if and when laid down. The danger of right-hand
crossings discounts any presupposed safety obtained by partial traffic
segregation; and it has been admitted that where cycle tracks are in being,
motoring speeds on the carriageway will increase, to the consequent danger of
the cyclists when the cycle track ceases, as it must do on over 95 percent of
our highways. Cycle tracks are a palliative at best, and in my opinion a
dangerous one."

Since he was a CTC Rep and journalist you might try asking in the CTC mag
wanteds. Otherwise the family still lives in the Isle of Wight - their
fascinating history can be found at http://www.marcireau.fr/urry/urry.htm
You could try e-mailing them at

Tony

Old March 6th 04, 06:33 PM
Keith Willoughby

Derek White wrote:

I'm not sure whether anyone here can help, indeed, I'm not sure whether
anybody anywhere can help, but I'm looking for a small softback booklet (I
guess in size about the same as the old "Commando" booklets) called "Salute
To Cycling". I know I got one back in the '60's, when my parents purchased
my first bilke for me. Since then, it has gone the way of many old things,
and disappeared. If anyone here knows where I might obtain a copy (although
it would be long ago out of print), I would be extremely grateful.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...L?bi=211562172

Going for a tenner.

"Just as I expected, the shopkeeper appeared"