Upgradling Shifters

Old July 12th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Upgradling Shifters

Hello all, I have a couple of older bikes with down-tube shifters.
They work fairly well, although need a little love. One thing I'd like
to do is put on new shifters that are attached to the break levers - I
don't know what they are called. I know how to fix some bike stuff - I
took a class - so I think I could do the work, but I'm just not sure if
it is possible to do that. Can I just by pass the shifter on the tube
and go right to the breaks?

Also, what about adding a third gear to the peddle cranks - there are 2
now. My wife needs a lower gear to make the bike from 12 to 18.

Thanks!

Old July 12th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

wrote:
Hello all, I have a couple of older bikes with down-tube shifters.
They work fairly well, although need a little love. One thing I'd like
to do is put on new shifters that are attached to the break levers - I
don't know what they are called. I know how to fix some bike stuff - I
took a class - so I think I could do the work, but I'm just not sure if
it is possible to do that. Can I just by pass the shifter on the tube
and go right to the breaks?

As Peter (he who speaks Campagnolo) said, this is an easy conversion.
The kits for the brake/shift levers (aka "brifters") include a cable
stop that bolts on in place of the existing shift lever. Here's a
selection:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters
(Sheldon's Harris Cyclery site is an excellent reference for all things
bicycle.)

One thing you will have to consider: you implied that there are 6 cogs
on the back wheel (12 to 18). Brake/shift levers are meant for a
minimum of 7 cogs, and the easiest to find work with 8. You will need
to change the freewheel/cassette at very least to make this happen.

Some old bikes are worth the effort, some are not. There's also many
different options when it comes to changing the gearing and the shift
levers- brifters have their advantages, but they have their detractors,
too. A couple days looking through the archives might help you make the
decision.

If you need additional "how-to" references, the Park Tool site is
pretty good: http://www.parktool.com/repair/

Jeff

Old July 12th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe LoBuglio

wrote:
Hello all, I have a couple of older bikes with down-tube shifters.
They work fairly well, although need a little love. One thing I'd like
to do is put on new shifters that are attached to the break levers - I
don't know what they are called. I know how to fix some bike stuff - I
took a class - so I think I could do the work, but I'm just not sure if
it is possible to do that. Can I just by pass the shifter on the tube
and go right to the breaks?

Also, what about adding a third gear to the peddle cranks - there are 2
now. My wife needs a lower gear to make the bike from 12 to 18.

Thanks!

I have a 1987 Trek 560 that I converted from a 6 speed freewheel with
downtube shifters to 7 speed freewheel with STI. It was pretty simple.

The 6 to 7 speed was just replacing the freewheel; for my bike it fit
and no adjustment/spacers were needed.

The STI shifters (7 speed RSX from ebay) required replacing the
downtube shifters with cable stops, redoing the brake and shifter
cables, and handlebar tape. I had to use an alternate routing for the
front derailleur as the front derailler. See
http://tinyurl.com/ns4r7
if you want more details. I think 7 speed Sora are still available.

I have no info on the triple conversion. There is a megarange freewheel
option if you just need a big gear once in a while (look at Sheldon's
site) and you want to keep your double. It likely would require a new
rear derailleur (long cage.) I made this conversion with on another
bike (a 1980's Peugeaut). I don't particularly like it, though. It cost
less than $50 total (freewheel and derailleur)

Joe