Vancouver police officer dies while mountain biking in Columbia Gorge

Old August 6th 10, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default So much for the alleged health benefits of any activity

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Mr. Vandeman posts relevant information on the dangers of normal
mountain biking on hiking trails; you post information caused by risky
behavior and now freak events. There is no comparison at all.
[...]

Vandeman NEVER posts anything of any relevence to anybody or anything. He
posted a story about a biker that crashed, and said it was a mountain
biker. The linked article clearly and spacifically said the bike was a
Harley.

He posted a story of a mountain biker that was killed and thrown off a
cliff, as if the mountain biker was at fault for being killed (murdered)
and then tossed onto the rocks below. The mountain biker was riding his
bike on a two-lane highway in Chile or Peru, I forget which.

He has posted stories of mountain bikers that robbed the bank, but the
story said that the robber was, "last seen heading westbound on Main,
riding a bicycle." (no mention as to whether it was a stunt bike, road
bike, or beach cruiser.

He has posted numerous stories of guys that had heart attacks while
riding, and the doctors said they were ticking time bombs. Riding had
nothing to do with anything, and the workouts arguably extended their
lives. They could just as easily croaked while following you in the car,
and pushed you into the intersection where you could be hit by a semi.

When Vandeman comes up with anything that's relevent to anybody but you
or himself, I'll eat my hat.

All of the events posted by Mr. Vandeman have in common the mentality of
mountain bikers.
That mentality is to take risks. It is bravado, macho nonsense and it will
get you killed sooner or later.

The only thing I see in common is that Vandeman is an idiot, and you're
gaining on him.

Old August 6th 10, 03:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
It is the difficulties of cycling on an irregular trail itself that will
get you killed, not running into other users.

But, no matter, YOU said that biking on a hiking trail is dangerous for
the biker. I just wanted to point out that hiking on a biking trail has
its dangers too.

No sane hiker would be on a biking trail. If only the reverse were true.

You tend to hike wherever you want, and demand that where you want to
hike be preserved for hikers, but the reality is that you hike on
biking trails and should, as a result, be careful.

I wouldn't be caught dead on a biking trail. 99.99% of all trails are
hiking trails. The only biking trails I know about are the recently
constructed ones at mountain ski resorts like Aspen.

The truth is that 99% of the trails are for open use, and bicycles are
not restricted. Too bad you have to resort to blatant lies, like
Vandeman.

Bicycles are not permitted on trails in Wilderness Areas nor are they
permitted on most National Park trails and many State Park trails. But the
point Mr. Vandeman and I are making is that bicycles should not be
permitted on ANY hiking trails no matter where they are located. It is an
abomination that they are.

When there is a sign posting the trail CLOSED, then it is closed and is an
enforcement issue for the rangers, not Vandeman or you running around with
chainsaws attacking trail users. Until there is a CLOSED sign, the trails
are open.

Motorized vehicles are not allowed in the wilderness areas where I live,
human-powered vehicles (bikes) are okay, and should be okay. Obvious
exceptions are in heavily used areas, such as Yosemite Park and a couple of
others.

When you go wandering around the forest by your house, peeking into windows,
and are startled by a passing bike rider, too bad for you.

Old August 6th 10, 03:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default Vancouver police officer dies while mountain biking in Columbia Gorge

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
The mountain bikers were on a trail that was specifically posted against
bicycles. That makes them the scofflaws that all mountain bikers are at
heart. Mr. Vandeman was most likely just defending himself from assault
and battery. Hikers should carry hand guns on their person to protect
themselves from criminal idiot mountain bikers in my not so humble
opinion.

Maybe you should have pursued a woman instead of buryhing your head
into books all of your life. Maybe you would understand the falicy of
your position. No, probably not.

I would have pursued a woman if I wanted to make babies and have a
family. I never wanted that. It seems there is no shortage of people in
the world, so what are you complaining about?

I'm not complaining, I perceive you as complaining about every little
thing. If you had a meaningful relationship and a couple of grand kids by
now, maybe you would be better-rounded, instead of the ****y old *******
that you have turned into.

I have a relationship with myself,

Yes, I'm certain that you do.

something that you need to work on if you
ask me. Grand kids are no substitute for the 'self'. I recommend a 2 year
retreat at your local monastery where you can get away from all your
scrawling human detritus. After all, if you do not know yourself, you do
not know much at all.

I know myself fine, it's people like you that I can't understand. You are a
****y old man that has turned into a selfish fool that only sees what you
want, not what anybody else wants or needs.

Old August 6th 10, 05:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
All of the events posted by Mr. Vandeman have in common the mentality of
mountain bikers.
That mentality is to take risks. It is bravado, macho nonsense and it
will get you killed sooner or later.

The only thing I see in common is that [Mr.] Vandeman is an idiot, and
you're gaining on him.

Edward Dolan also wrote:

"On the other hand, we hikers are sensible souls who, like Thoreau, merely
want to amble along in a leisurely manner and experience nature on a
mystical level. Absolutely no comparison at all.

Mountain bikers are in league with the Devil and hikers are angels beloved
of God."

If we are idiots, then we are Great Idiots whereas you are a minuscule
idiot, one not even worthy of mention in the same sentence as the Great Mr.
Vandeman and the Great Mr. Dolan. Like the mountain bikers you defend, you
are a desecrator of wilderness values and a minion of the Devil.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 6th 10, 05:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Bicycles are not permitted on trails in Wilderness Areas nor are they
permitted on most National Park trails and many State Park trails. But
the point Mr. Vandeman and I are making is that bicycles should not be
permitted on ANY hiking trails no matter where they are located. It is an
abomination that they are.

When there is a sign posting the trail CLOSED, then it is closed and is an
enforcement issue for the rangers, not Vandeman or you running around with
chainsaws attacking trail users. Until there is a CLOSED sign, the trails
are open.

Most wild and natural areas have general regulations by the managers saying
what one can do or not do on a trail, unless posted otherwise. It is up to
trail users to help the managers enforce regulations. I believe every hiker
should carry a bazooka and blow holes the size of cannon balls in mountain
bikers who are where they are not suppose to be. It would be our good deed
fro the day for which we would receive medals and other commendations.

Motorized vehicles are not allowed in the wilderness areas where I live,
human-powered vehicles (bikes) are okay, and should be okay. Obvious
exceptions are in heavily used areas, such as Yosemite Park and a couple
of others.

Probably mostly on BLM land. They are not known for good management. I can
assure you that vehicles of any type, including bicycles, are NOT allowed in
designated Wilderness Areas.

When you go wandering around the forest by your house, peeking into
windows, and are startled by a passing bike rider, too bad for you.

Jeff Strickland has obviously been stricken by something, most likely his
own gross stupidity. I will soon have to take him to the proverbial woodshed
for some lessons in manners if he does not get up to speed.

Old August 6th 10, 05:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

[...]

What you think you want or need ruins the natural world for the rest of us.
The only selfish fool I see here is you. You need to leave the world of your
grand kids and enter an adult world where responsible behavior matters.

Our prisons are full of types like you who think you have a right to do
whatever you want or need. **** that sentiment all the way to Hell and back!