Rohloff Speedbone with Chainstay Mounts

Old April 6th 18, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Rohloff Speedbone with Chainstay Mounts

So, the Surly Disc Trucker has chainstay IS mounts[1]. I have;

A rohloff hub with TS axle
An OEM2 mounting to go with;
A speedbone
An external gear mechanism

I'm thinking this is beyond even my Bodgit & Scarper(TM) skills. Is the
only option a long torque arm on a standard plate? Which looks like it
might get in the way of the external shifter.

[1]
https://bicyclehabitat.com/images/li...y-242015-1.jpg
Old April 7th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 9:06:25 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
So, the Surly Disc Trucker has chainstay IS mounts[1]. I have;

A rohloff hub with TS axle
An OEM2 mounting to go with;
A speedbone
An external gear mechanism

I'm thinking this is beyond even my Bodgit & Scarper(TM) skills. Is the
only option a long torque arm on a standard plate? Which looks like it
might get in the way of the external shifter.

[1]
https://bicyclehabitat.com/images/li...y-242015-1.jpg

Rohloff's Speedhub Finder is a critical path towards determining which frame-ends ("dropouts" to the hoi-polloi) work with which Speed 14 gearbox and which peripheral parts you need to make the transmission chain work satisfactorily. You need Flash to operate the Speedhub Finder; if you have Flash but my link drops you in the warning, go back up to the Rohloff (English) welcome page, scroll down and click on the grey circle for the Speedhub Finder.
Old April 7th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 9:06:25 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
So, the Surly Disc Trucker has chainstay IS mounts[1]. I have;

I'm thinking this is beyond even my Bodgit & Scarper(TM) skills. Is the
only option a long torque arm on a standard plate?

Not necessarily. If the slot on the frame end is long enough and strong enough, the smallest Rohloff torque resistor will slot into it and that will be everything you need. Note that a Rohloff chain is run much slacker than on even a slack derailleur system -- it isn't just an option, it is a requirement, in this in conjunction with an EBB, as I've already suggested, can give you a copacetically clean installation.

Also, I seem to recall there's a Rohloff torque resistor that fits the Surly Karate Monkey disc brake mountings, which look to me very much like the ones on the Trucker. So you in fact have plenty of options before you start bodging.

My bodger is a WW 1 Army folding knife, a huge chunk of solid steel, with a bayonet that lines up the most stubborn holes by speaking sternly to them. But, clearly, I take it out only when I'm seriously stuck. One look at my bodger, and I'll no longer be on first name terms with Herr Rohloff. It's a class of German engineering that it could be seriously expensive to mess with.

Andre Jute
I like to know where I will finish before I start
Old April 7th 18, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:06:25 AM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
So, the Surly Disc Trucker has chainstay IS mounts[1]. I have;

A rohloff hub with TS axle
An OEM2 mounting to go with;
A speedbone
An external gear mechanism

I'm thinking this is beyond even my Bodgit & Scarper(TM) skills. Is the
only option a long torque arm on a standard plate? Which looks like it
might get in the way of the external shifter.

[1]
https://bicyclehabitat.com/images/li...y-242015-1.jpg

You only need some kind of mounting hole(s). I converted my singlespeed to a Rohloff hub equipped bike for winter evening rides. Mayby this gives you some ideas:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b8PoQGQWng8OdXnJ2

Lou
Old April 7th 18, 09:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 04/07/2018 03:36 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Tip that, looking at your frame end, may give you the cleanest
possible installation: Determine the diameter of the bottom bracket
shell of your frame, find a eccentric bottom bracket to fit it (last
time I looked, about 10, 12 years ago, there was a choice of three at
various prices) and start up the Speedhub finder by selecting the EBB
option.

I have two Rohloffs. The issue was fitting an existing disc hub, with,
consequently an external mech, to a frame with chainstay IS mounts. The
frame, is clearly not equipped with Rohloff dropouts.

I don't particularly want a mungo torque arm if I can get away with it.
Wtf Rohloff don't supply there TS axles flattened like intelligent
people, then a simple anti rotation washer would do the trick in a nice
cosmetic manner. Yes, I know why, but they still could!
Old April 7th 18, 10:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 04/07/2018 09:09 AM, wrote:
On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 10:06:25 AM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
So, the Surly Disc Trucker has chainstay IS mounts[1]. I have;

A rohloff hub with TS axle An OEM2 mounting to go with; A
speedbone An external gear mechanism

I'm thinking this is beyond even my Bodgit & Scarper(TM) skills.
Is the only option a long torque arm on a standard plate? Which
looks like it might get in the way of the external shifter.

[1]
https://bicyclehabitat.com/images/li...y-242015-1.jpg

You only need some kind of mounting hole(s). I converted my
singlespeed to a Rohloff hub equipped bike for winter evening rides.
Mayby this gives you some ideas:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/b8PoQGQWng8OdXnJ2

And lo and behold a possible solution arises! With thanks to SJS cycles

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk

Because the hub came off a bike with seat stay IS mounts, it has a
speed/monkey bone plate. However...in an attempt at options I measured
various distances, and as far as I can work out, axle center to rack
mount is 35mm. A phone call to SJS and they measured various dimensions
on the Axle plate TS-8233, it turns out, you guessed it, center to one
of the holes is 35mm, the hole diameter being 10mm giving a bit of room.

So, replace the 8228 plate with an 8223, and if all matches, a bit of
pipe to fill the M6 rack bolt out to 10mm, if not, Bodgit & Scarper, cos
at least it's out of sight! [1]

Now, if only I could find the 8223 that came off the hub some 5 years ago...

[1] In fact the outside diameter of a 'normal' M6 nut seems to be 9mm
which is good enough for me.
Old April 7th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tosspot:
I don't particularly want a mungo torque arm if I can get away with it.

I had the same feeling - also with two Rohloff hubs, and I went the SpeedBone
route.

But, for reasons I cannot recall, I wound up with a bike that would not
accept the SpeedBone; so, to maintain interchangeability among wheels, I
reverted to the Rohloff torque arm, replacing the radiator hose clamps with
multiple wraps of electrical tape - which works because all the force is
pressing the arm against the chain stay.

Tell you what: I got used to it and now SpeedBones are just a dim memory.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old April 8th 18, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 04/07/2018 03:40 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tosspot:
I don't particularly want a mungo torque arm if I can get away with
it.

I had the same feeling - also with two Rohloff hubs, and I went the
SpeedBone route.

But, for reasons I cannot recall, I wound up with a bike that would
not accept the SpeedBone; so, to maintain interchangeability among
wheels, I reverted to the Rohloff torque arm, replacing the radiator
hose clamps with multiple wraps of electrical tape - which works
because all the force is pressing the arm against the chain stay.

Tell you what: I got used to it and now SpeedBones are just a dim
memory.

When I've finished buggering about I will post the success or other wise
of using the standard plate and the rack/fender mount point.

chainstay gouge SC[_2_] Techniques 54 August 25th 07 12:24 AM
Rohloff non-OEM hub in Rohloff OEM frame? Konstantin Shemyak Techniques 3 October 19th 06 02:31 PM
Water in my Chainstay TooSore UK 7 September 20th 05 05:12 PM
Dent in chainstay OK? [email protected] Techniques 4 December 6th 04 08:02 PM
chainstay ? Dennis Johnston Techniques 0 August 1st 04 09:18 AM