Cycling banned in London - By Order of Ken Livingston.

Old November 29th 04, 07:19 PM
Paul Reading

Default Cycling banned in London - By Order of Ken Livingston.

Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle
chained to anything. This will apply even if the cycle is NOT causing
an obstruction. It only has to be deemed a "nuisance". Who ecides what
is and what is not a nuisance? How is a cyclist to know where and whare
not to chain their bike?

Any one fance trying to recover their bike froma pound... bring £50 in
cash proof of identy and proof of ownership?

This is utter madness and goes against any kind of environmental
thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes, BR has removed
them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

Old November 29th 04, 07:36 PM
Tim S Kemp

Paul Reading wrote:
Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle
chained to anything. This will apply even if the cycle is NOT causing
an obstruction. It only has to be deemed a "nuisance". Who ecides what
is and what is not a nuisance? How is a cyclist to know where and
whare not to chain their bike?

So they can cut off your chain, but you can't cut off their clamps.

--
"Get a paper bag"

Old November 29th 04, 07:37 PM
JLB

Paul Reading wrote:
Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle chained
to anything. This will apply even if the cycle is NOT causing an
obstruction. It only has to be deemed a "nuisance". Who ecides what is
and what is not a nuisance? How is a cyclist to know where and whare not
to chain their bike?

Any one fance trying to recover their bike froma pound... bring £50 in
cash proof of identy and proof of ownership?

This is utter madness and goes against any kind of environmental
thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes, BR has removed
them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

Here's the complete Act

http://www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.u...4/20040001.htm

Where's the bit about bicycles?

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old November 29th 04, 08:30 PM
MSeries

Paul Reading wrote:
Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle chained
to anything. This will apply even if the cycle is NOT causing an
obstruction. It only has to be deemed a "nuisance". Who ecides what is
and what is not a nuisance? How is a cyclist to know where and whare not
to chain their bike?

Any one fance trying to recover their bike froma pound... bring £50 in
cash proof of identy and proof of ownership?

This is utter madness and goes against any kind of environmental
thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes, BR has removed
them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

Rather sensationalist don't you think. Cycling has not been banned.
Old November 29th 04, 08:33 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

As I was locking my bike to the railings I was told to stop by a third
policeman. He told me that I couldn't lock my bike to the railings.
I explained my predicament and asked what he expected me to do. He
offered no advice. I asked if I could leave my bike in their office.
I was told no. I asked what would happen if I locked my bike to the
railings. He said that it would be removed. I asked if it would be
removed to a secure place. He said he didn't know where it would go.
Fine, says I, I'll lock it here, and when I return and it's gone, I'll
file a theft report and presumably it will be traced - if not, the
insurance will take care of the matter - I could do with a new bike.
The explanation I was given was that the bike could contain
explosives. I said that if he thought that he should get onto the
Met's anti-terrorist team without delay - I'd wait. He told me not to
be such an idiot.

When in Bordeaux in the summer, the Unfit Family ventured into the park where
the little natural history museum is located. There was nowhere obvious to lock
the bikes, but next to the museum were some railings. I popped into the museum
and in my faulting French asked if it was okay to lock the bikes there. The
reaction was amazing. " No problem, Madame." Not only was it no problem, but
one of the security guards kept an eye on them for us whilst we were doing the
touristy bit round the museum. The staff were welcoming, kind and as well as
keeping an eye on our bikes, went through every single concessionary entrance
fee with us to make sure we piad the minimum possible. This was typical of the
helpful nature of people we encountered whilst in Bordeaux.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 29th 04, 08:34 PM
A.Lee

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:19:48 +0000, Paul Reading wrote:

Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle
chained to anything......This is utter madness and goes against any kind
of environmental thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes,
BR has removed them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

I would assume they mean removing any bikes attached to street
'furniture'.
This happens in Rotterdam regularly.There are many 'proper' bike parking
spaces, but these soon get filled up, so people in a rush chain their bike
to the nearest street light or tree,rather than travelling a little
further to park in a legitimate spot.
A Council van then comes round,takes a photo, then cuts off the chain and
takes the bike to the 'bike pound'. I dont know if there is a fine to get
the bike back, but I would assume there is.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

Old November 29th 04, 10:35 PM
Paul - xxx

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers vaguely muttered something like ...

The
staff were welcoming, kind and as well as keeping an eye on our bikes,
went through every single concessionary entrance fee with us to make sure
we piad the minimum possible. This was typical of the helpful nature of
people we encountered whilst in Bordeaux.

We've found that to be typical of all the parts of France we've been to,
especially when going as a family.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 29th 04, 10:41 PM
Paul - xxx

Paul Reading vaguely muttered something like ...
How is a cyclist to know where and whare
not to chain their bike?

Maybe by checking that they're locking the bike to an allotted bike parking
space or area .. IMHO it's time something was done about the bikes strewn
over 'safety' railings in towns.

This is utter madness and goes against any kind of environmental
thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes, BR has removed
them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

But has what, exactly, to do with banning cycling?

Sensationalist bloody subject line ... exactly what lots of posts on this
newsgroup deplore when it comes to traffic 'accidents'.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 29th 04, 10:43 PM
Paul Reading

On 2004-11-29 19:30:28 +0000, MSeries said:

Paul Reading wrote:
Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle
chained to anything. This will apply even if the cycle is NOT causing
an obstruction. It only has to be deemed a "nuisance". Who ecides what
is and what is not a nuisance? How is a cyclist to know where and whare
not to chain their bike?

Any one fance trying to recover their bike froma pound... bring £50 in
cash proof of identy and proof of ownership?

This is utter madness and goes against any kind of environmental
thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes, BR has removed
them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

Rather sensationalist don't you think. Cycling has not been banned.

The story is in today's Evening Standard on page 10. How can you cycle
anywhere in London if you bike risks being removed by on overzelous
unemployable and held to ransom?

Old November 29th 04, 11:18 PM
JohnB

Paul - xxx wrote:

The
staff were welcoming, kind and as well as keeping an eye on our bikes,

We've found that to be typical of all the parts of France we've been to,
especially when going as a family.

Fully agree - except....

We did once go into a French hypermarket with our first two girls when
they were just 2 and 4.
At the time they were both wearing helmets [1]
Even though we were all in full cycling togs we were accosted by a
security guard who insisted they removed their helmets as they posed a
security risk.

France has its quota of jobsworths too :-(

[1] a *very* rare occurrence

John B