Family tours in Europe?

Old December 2nd 03, 01:07 AM
A. Cassel

Default Family tours in Europe?

Looking for suggestions for a family cycle tour in Europe or the UK this
June-July. We're
four including our 13 & 15 year old kids, and we'd like a 1 or 2-week,
easy-to-moderate route someplace with decent food & hotels. Looking for a
touring co. or group
to hook up with, or just somebody to run a sag wagon. Any experiences or
thoughts to share?

Old December 2nd 03, 01:41 AM
Tim McNamara

"A. Cassel" writes:

Looking for suggestions for a family cycle tour in Europe or the UK
this June-July. We're four including our 13 & 15 year old kids, and
we'd like a 1 or 2-week, easy-to-moderate route someplace with
decent food & hotels. Looking for a touring co. or group to hook up
with, or just somebody to run a sag wagon. Any experiences or
thoughts to share?

Check out the Cyclists' Touring Club of the UK:

www.ctc.org.uk
Old December 2nd 03, 03:18 AM
Chuck Anderson

A. Cassel wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a family cycle tour in Europe or the UK this
June-July. We're
four including our 13 & 15 year old kids, and we'd like a 1 or 2-week,
easy-to-moderate route someplace with decent food & hotels. Looking for a
touring co. or group
to hook up with, or just somebody to run a sag wagon. Any experiences or
thoughts to share?

I know, .... you want support, ... but riding the German and Austrian
river trails is "as easy as falling off a log." Add some panniers to
carry your own stuff (easy with four of you) and you've got a plan.

That's my thought.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old December 2nd 03, 04:35 AM
Mark Boyd

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Chuck Anderson wrote:

A. Cassel wrote:

Looking for suggestions for a family cycle tour in Europe or the UK this
June-July. We're
four including our 13 & 15 year old kids, and we'd like a 1 or 2-week,
easy-to-moderate route someplace with decent food & hotels. Looking for a
touring co. or group
to hook up with, or just somebody to run a sag wagon. Any experiences or
thoughts to share?

I know, .... you want support, ... but riding the German and Austrian
river trails is "as easy as falling off a log." Add some panniers to
carry your own stuff (easy with four of you) and you've got a plan.

That's my thought.

I agree with Chuck. There is literally nothing easier than touring on
those radwegs. Most of the folks riding them are middle aged or older and
riding city bikes with panniers. There are many bike tourists and lots of
services right on the radwegs. The scenery is great and the riding is easy.

Another, slightly more adventuresome , option would be the River Lot or
some of teh other river valleys in southern France. Lots grin of
history, lots of beautiful country, no hills, small roads with little
traffic and no way to get lost. And don't forget French food...

Mark http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html
Old December 2nd 03, 01:37 PM
Ken Roberts

Yes, I've thought the Dordogne and Lot valleys in France would be a great
place for a family vacation -- with canoeing / kayaking, hiking,
sightseeing.
http://roberts-1.com/t/b02/france/doi
The children I ride with have _no_ interest in being forced to bicycle every
day, so I would have to make a plan that includes lots of other activities.
Renting a van would be way cheaper than than some guide service.

The big problem is that lots of _other_ families with children already know
about wonderful regions like that -- so I'd be concerned to find a time when
it's not crowded -- and hot. Like not August. I think the ideal would be
to somehow take the kids out of school for a week in late September /
October.

Ken

Old December 7th 03, 04:35 AM
Fred Roses

Mark Boyd wrote in message os.ncsu.edu...
Another, slightly more adventuresome , option would be the River Lot or
some of teh other river valleys in southern France. Lots grin of
history, lots of beautiful country, no hills, small roads with little
traffic and no way to get lost. And don't forget French food...

I truly love the Lot/Dordogne/Vezere region but I can't agree with
your "no hills" description. Sure, it's easy cycling along the rivers
but most of the towns and chateaux are atop the cliffs adjoining the
river valleys, with climbs aplenty.

Fred Roses
Old December 7th 03, 04:47 PM
Mark Boyd

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Fred Roses wrote:

Mark Boyd wrote in message os.ncsu.edu...
Another, slightly more adventuresome , option would be the River Lot or
some of teh other river valleys in southern France. Lots grin of
history, lots of beautiful country, no hills, small roads with little
traffic and no way to get lost. And don't forget French food...

I truly love the Lot/Dordogne/Vezere region but I can't agree with
your "no hills" description. Sure, it's easy cycling along the rivers
but most of the towns and chateaux are atop the cliffs adjoining the
river valleys, with climbs aplenty.

Fred Roses

I do remember the climb to Domme, but I didn't remember any other hard
climbs, so I checked my ride reports. Here is what I had to say about the
hillier sections along the Lot:

" These are not the hard climbs with 10% grade for hundreds of meters
vertically, but rather 3 or 4% grade for 50 or a 100 meters vertical. I
saw some tourists in this section as well, and some of them were having a
hard time with the hills."

Fred is right: folks looking for no hills should look elsewhere.

Mark http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/bicycling.html