Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

Old September 27th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On 9/26/2017 9:14 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/26/2017 7:24 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:16:06 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 9/26/2017 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

snip

A banana peel is plant material and will return to being soil soon
enough.

It will not. Nor will orange peels. Don't get caught doing this by a
park ranger or police officer. It's a hefty fine.

Some think they're good for the soil:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/banana-...den-31257.html

Maybe _your_ soil.
People who manage public lands are more excited about arranging chronic
very large fires and shooting the owls that outbreed their preferred owls:

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/15/262735...pecies-is-shot

That's hardly a unique situation. People who want to preserve bluebird
populations do all they can to eliminate or discourage house sparrows.
The two species are incompatible, and house sparrows are non-natives
introduced through human mistakes.

There are similar examples regarding mollusks, fish, amphibians,
reptiles and mammals, not to mention the plant world. We've screwed
things up fairly thoroughly in many places.

I suppose some would say none of it matters, that we should be happy
with a continent-wide monoculture, but I disagree.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 27th 17, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-26 18:10, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:05:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-09-26 01:58, somebody wrote:
On 25 Sep 2017 19:03:42 GMT, Robert Latest
wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher
(90-serving canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to
pay around $25 in bulk, now it's around $40 with shipping.
We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more
reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or
three of those fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for
additional minerals to taste. Just read the ingredients on
the original powder to find a long list of benign non-reasons
to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

Meaning it reliably prevents cramps and bonks? IOW the potassium
is the only ingredient in those drinks that a longhaul cyclist
really needs? I didn't know that but it sure would be nice.

No, you bonk because you're out of glycogen and not electrolytes.
Drink more beer. ...

Hence I repurposed my old office thermos and use it to carry homemade
IPA along on some long trips in the boonies where there are no pubs. No
Snickers bars though, my wife makes homemade bars with the good stuff in
there. Lots of nuts and bacon bits, among many other things.

So far I bonked only once, way back after I started riding again.

Does anyone know this stuff?

https://www.vitamonk.com/products/fo...rolyte-formula

I think the mention of "pink Himalayan Salt" might just be a giveaway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt
"Himalayan salt is rock salt or halite from the Punjab region of
Pakistan. No scientific evidence has been provided to prove that
Himalayan salt has substantial benefits compared to common salt, and
such claims should be treated as pseudoscience."

Yeah, "salt kharma" sounds a bit voodoo. I am only after the
electrolytes though but since this only clocks in at 65mg/serving I'll
probably swallow the cost increase and stay with Ultima. Unless someone
knows a better deal.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 27th 17, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-26 19:07, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:02:35 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

It is a good source of potassium but difficult to store. Rots easy.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much...uice-6666.html

The powder seems to have no potassium left, no idea what happens to it
in the process:

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms.../dp/B00LBGNW9I

Old September 27th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:16:06 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 9/26/2017 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

snip

A banana peel is plant material and will return to being soil soon enough.

It will not. Nor will orange peels. Don't get caught doing this by a
park ranger or police officer. It's a hefty fine.

Do you know that I have an orange tree and a lemon tree in my backyard so I have to clean up rotten orange and lemon peels all the time and sweep them under the tree to fertilize the tree? That bananas have to be thrown away all the time because they rot in the supermarket? There is NO fruit that will not rot since THAT is the way they release their seeds.

What exactly is this "It will not"?

So not only do we have economists here but farmers as well. Growing tomatoes in your back yard every year indeed!
Old September 27th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hello Joy, there is more to it than simply replacing electrolytes. I almost had heat prostration on the 3rd by simply drinking Red Bull. It provided sufficient electrolytes but insufficient calories to burn while riding.

When undergoing extreme exercise your digestive processes are impaired and you should take in simple sugars and electrolytes.

I knew this but the length of the ride sort of developed as I was riding. Normally a 72 mile ride wouldn't have nearly killed me but the day started overcast and cool and then after I was beyond the point of no return it got up over 90 with no shade. And the neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the glass door and having 8" on him.
Old September 27th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

100F+ and no shade is normal here in summer. Scientists say that beer
flushed out glucose and supposedly makes things worse but I can't
confirm that. After a nice pint of Double-IPA, Belgian Tripel or Stout I
feel like having more climb energy than before. Though that burns off
pretty quickly.

... And the
neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could
leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came
directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the
glass door and having 8" on him.

That is why I do not patronize stores that do not let me take my bike
inside.

Old September 27th 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:16:06 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 9/26/2017 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

snip

A banana peel is plant material and will return to being soil soon enough.

It will not. Nor will orange peels. Don't get caught doing this by a
park ranger or police officer. It's a hefty fine.

Remember Jobst on presta stem locknuts and caps: "The proper place for these is by the side of the road."
Old September 27th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

When I return from a hard ride and have a Belgian Ale I recover quite rapidly.

In the bay area you get what you get.
Old September 27th 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-09-26 15:16, sms wrote:
On 9/26/2017 2:10 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

snip

A banana peel is plant material and will return to being soil soon
enough.

It will not. Nor will orange peels. Don't get caught doing this by a
park ranger or police officer. It's a hefty fine.

As it should be. I find it said that some people think it's ok to litter.

How about when you ride the road? Would you have us believe that you have never witnessed your banana peel land on someone's leaf-pile, or at the foot of a garbage can brought out to the street, or heard it wad up against the rear window of a parked pickup truck?

alternative to carradice visionset UK 6 April 28th 08 09:01 AM
electrolyte replacement OzCableguy Australia 33 March 21st 07 11:34 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
Would this be a good alternative to a jersey Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 16 June 17th 05 03:49 PM
peugeot 653 ultima frame? [email protected] Techniques 2 December 13th 04 04:22 PM