B&M IQ-TEC Premium and USB power

Old February 20th 14, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default B&M IQ-TEC Premium and USB power

Well, the sun is starting set a little earlier here in Melbourne,
Australia, so I've been able to assess the beam from my B&M IQ-TEC
Premium reasonably well at 9pm on poorly lit back streets.

I think it's pretty good on the whole. I was riding last night some
distance behind a Toyota Landcruiser 4WD at about 50 km/h on a slight
down hill with a tail wind. I was close enough to the vehicle in front
to compare their lights to mine. I'd say there wasn't a whole lot of
difference. The car lights certainly did produce more light, had
slightly more spill to the sides and up a bit, but not by a country
mile. Compared to other bike lights I've seen on mates bikes and my
own, I've seen none better.

Several weeks ago I went looking for USB charger solutions, and was
turned off by the size and expense. The one I liked was one where the
electronics go up inside the fork steerer tube and there's a USB
connector molded into the Ahead headset cap.

I decided to make something similar if I could, so I ordered this;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5V-US...-/350675929815

I can't imagine how they can manufacture these and ship them for such a
low price (a few bucks each), but today it landed at my door, and I
hooked it up to a variable bench supply and my garmin bike computer as a
load.

Probably not the best choice. The Garmin doesn't seem to like being
turned on, charged, and the charging then stopped. It turns off! You
wouldn't want that while you're riding.

Anyway, the USB charger electronics did its job, and produced a stable
5V output while the input was a volt above 5 to over 20V.

I think a schottky diode bridge and a filter cap will be fine to drive
the input of this USB charger, from the tail light connection out of the
IQ-TEC Premium.

The end result will be a power source for my miniature video camera,
that only has enough battery life for about 20-30 minutes of recording
otherwise. I hope it doesn't mind the charge power coming and going!

--
JS
Old February 21st 14, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

PHOTO THESE BEAMS ON A STANDARD GRID....down at the Superduper or Bank lot.

this from Lieb

http://www.powerstream.com/
Old February 21st 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.powerstream.com/powerhumor.htm
Old February 21st 14, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:44:54 PM UTC, James wrote:
[...]

Thanks for sharing, James. That looks like a handy little board. -- AJ
Old February 21st 14, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/aHvCJu

http://www.powerstream.com/dcdc-12V.htm