Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old April 8th 16, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 6:15:27 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
On 06/04/16 22:07, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 7:15:40 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 8:07:05 AM UTC-5,
wrote:

Surly is the most Arrogant bicycle dealer out there, don't like
the color, they don't give a ****, email them for info, you might
get a reply or a smartass answer. It does seem that the LHT is
the favorite touring bike but I just can't deal with the
Arrogance.

No answer to Frank's question about why a thread from 2011 is
resurrected. But Surly is a division of Quality Bicycle Products
located in Minneapolis. Biggest US distributor of bike parts.
They supply parts and supplies to every US bike shop. Surly, and
Salsa another QBP brand, have everything made in China. Not sure
about their customer service. Is the customer service dept. in
Minneapolis? Or in China? Seems a bit odd that a Chinese made
bike would have customer service in Minneapolis. Seems more
natural that customer service would stay in the country that made
the bike. I can understand why the above person thinks the
customer service is poor. If I was an American working for an
American company and someone called me about a Chinese bike, I'd
say talk to the Chinese. Here is the number for the Chinese
diplomat.

Well, whatever the devil Surly is, I admired their designer a few
years ago when I looked into the Karate Monkey. That's a frame that
gives a home-constructor of his dream bike a lot of possibilities. I
couldn't think of anything I'd want to connect to my bike that wasn't
provided for. The only reason I didn't buy a Karate Monkey frame is
that the construction is nowhere near as superior as the design; in
fact, the welding on the frame I saw was bloody crude. I decided it
was too roughly executed for a sensitive fellow like me. On hand of
the Karate Monkey, which could be my sort of bike if it were made
with rather more punctilio, I'm not surprised to discover that the
Long Haul Trucker is very popular with another kind of cyclist.

I have a Karate Monkey for my Rohloff/Disc brake setup and it does work
well. The welds seem fine to me, rarely seen better, they are nicely
smoothed down and the paint is good. I must get around to putting 622s
on it instead of the 571s it has. Job for the summer :-)

Maybe I'm oversensitive about visible welding, or maybe I'm a natural luggie, the bicycle lifestyle version of a luddite. Only joking, of course, as I look down with severe disdain on every kind of "lifestyle" clown, global warmies, zero-taste jerks who wear clunky gold Rolexes after six in the evening, and suchlike.

Tip: the Karate Monkey, if I remember correctly, will take 60mm Big Apples, which I thought a big, big plus.

Andre Jute
Old April 8th 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I always remove my Rolex at 5:30 or earlier, and certainly after the dinner gong. For dinner dress, its always my Patek Caliber 89.

-- Lord Beattie, Baron of Gray Matter.

Old April 8th 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. I was shocked to discover that not everyone does.

BTW, I wouldn't wear a Patek either; the nouveau nobodies are onto those too. Instead, to go to funerals, the only time I wear a watch now, I wear my old Eterna with the 1366U ebauche, which when it was new was anyway thinner than the thinnest Patek. See "A turning point in the history of horology" at http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewa...tml#Eterna3000

Ande Jute
I'm not a snob. I'm talking to you, aren't I?
Old April 8th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Elegant piece, that. Looks much like my 1955 Boucherer from
a distance (L40 from ebay.co.uk)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 9th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 7:26:58 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/8/2016 12:59 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

BTW, I wouldn't wear a Patek either; the nouveau nobodies are onto those too. Instead, to go to funerals, the only time I wear a watch now, I wear my old Eterna with the 1366U ebauche, which when it was new was anyway thinner than the thinnest Patek. See "A turning point in the history of horology" at http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewa...tml#Eterna3000

Ande Jute
I'm not a snob. I'm talking to you, aren't I?

Elegant piece, that. Looks much like my 1955 Boucherer from
a distance (L40 from ebay.co.uk)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Correction. The key Eterna movement is 1466U, not 1366U. Typo, sorry.

You'd better make a correction for "Boucherer" too. There are both Boucher and Bucherer watchmakers.

That general style of watch, with an almost full-size crystal, very thin rim, and very clear markings. was common in the late 40s and into the fifties.. Cyma also used it particularly well, but Cymas, being less expensive originally, haven't lasted quite as well, so I never found one good enough to justify the asking price. My Eterna were all new when they came to me, the last one about 35 years ago, and if you know a good jeweler he either has one in his safe or can get one from Switzerland.
Old April 9th 16, 10:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

:-)

Maybe I'm oversensitive about visible welding, or maybe I'm a natural
luggie,

I have lusted after a titanium lugged touring frame for years and one
day I will crack. You *cannot* beat the look of a traditional lugged
and brazed frame imho. Yes, I know there are many reasons for welding,
but it doesn't look as good! Oooh you *********, you've set me off
again. Just look

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...843818152.html

the bicycle lifestyle version of a luddite. Only joking, of
course, as I look down with severe disdain on every kind of
"lifestyle" clown, global warmies, zero-taste jerks who wear clunky
gold Rolexes after six in the evening, and suchlike.

Tip: the Karate Monkey, if I remember correctly, will take 60mm Big
Apples, which I thought a big, big plus.

Wide M+ for me,
Old April 9th 16, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Very nice, if the lugs are well chromed (steel) or polished (titanium). But that price is for 50, so by the time some European or American retailer sells it to you it will be $995 and up.

the bicycle lifestyle version of a luddite. Only joking, of
course, as I look down with severe disdain on every kind of
"lifestyle" clown, global warmies, zero-taste jerks who wear clunky
gold Rolexes after six in the evening, and suchlike.

Tip: the Karate Monkey, if I remember correctly, will take 60mm Big
Apples, which I thought a big, big plus.

Wide M+ for me,

Your arse must be less discriminating than your eyes. Marathon Plus did nothing for me, but they bought my physio a new BMW with all the money I paid her to fix my back after all that jarring on Marathons on bad roads wrecked it.

Marathons are smooth-tarmac tyres for the ghetto set who are likely to meet broken glass on the road.

Andre Jute
Old April 9th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

jbeattie wrote in
:

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 9:12:05 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/7/2016 10:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 6:52:38 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/cscolec.jpg

Is that deformation from a kickstand plate -- on a Colnago? WTF?
Anyone who puts a kickstand on a Colnago deserves to have his or her
warranty voided.

Yep, that snapshot's just before his new chainstays went in.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/cscolec2.jpg

People like what they inscrutably like. As a defense
attorney you are probably familiar with the outliers of
human behavior. It's always the product's fault, never the
idiot plaintiff, right?

True, and God bless you for being so tolerant. I think putting a
kickstand on a Colnago is a felony, at least in Italy. I would have
turned your customer over to Interpol.

I am sure there is an out-of-round circle of Hell for this person.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 10th 16, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

http://www.bing.com/search?q=habaner...M =QBLH&ghc=1

habanero once posted here. A Lance supporter or denier....I forgot...habanero bailed from excess crit.

Before Lance, an outfit using a Prancing Horse front image sold custom T frames for abt $700. Buyers were touting online n apparently real as there existence was verified by nabs.

Drooling for a Tuscany from ColCycles, I bought an E250and a steel redline cyclocrosser converted to a trekker. There's a redone lugged Raleigh on the rack. No reason for a replacement.
Old April 10th 16, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I am sure there is an out-of-round circle of Hell for this person.

Jute ? **** no one will let Jute into Hell.