Valley Forge Park (PA) Snow Removal

Old December 11th 05, 12:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Valley Forge Park (PA) Snow Removal

I know there are a few Philly locals who frequent this place...

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not they clear
the multi-use path around Valley Forge park? I know they plow the
roads in the park, but I dunno about the multi-use path.

The loop I sometimes do there is mostly park roads with the exception
of the part along rt. 23 (across from Washington Memorial Chapel)
where like to stay on the multi-use path (no shoulder and Philly
drivers). Given the icy covering on the trails, I thought I might
drive out there tomorrow and just do laps until I get bored...
Old December 11th 05, 12:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Phil wrote:
I know there are a few Philly locals who frequent this place...

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not they clear
the multi-use path around Valley Forge park? I know they plow the
roads in the park, but I dunno about the multi-use path.

The loop I sometimes do there is mostly park roads with the exception
of the part along rt. 23 (across from Washington Memorial Chapel)
where like to stay on the multi-use path (no shoulder and Philly
drivers). Given the icy covering on the trails, I thought I might
drive out there tomorrow and just do laps until I get bored...

George Washington didn't have snow removal and neither should you.
Endure some hardship and be a man like your forefathers.

Old December 11th 05, 01:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 10 Dec 2005 16:54:14 -0800, "bicycle"
wrote:

George Washington didn't have snow removal and neither should you.
Endure some hardship and be a man like your forefathers.

Anyone who can survive a winter in Valley Forge without decent
supplies (and a warm house) while getting shot at is a better man then
I'll ever be.

I'd love to ride my regular trails tomorrow but I'm getting too old to
slip on the ice and crash into trees - when you do that at my age you
break things.

I just gotta get my fix tomorrow or I'll be miserable all week...
Old December 11th 05, 01:37 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Phil:
I know there are a few Philly locals who frequent this place...

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not they clear
the multi-use path around Valley Forge park? I know they plow the
roads in the park, but I dunno about the multi-use path.

I've been riding it for about five years and my recollection is that there is
some removal sometimes, but that you cannot count on it.

The Schulkyll River/Perkiomen trail seemd to have zero snow removal last year.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 11th 05, 01:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote:

George Washington didn't have snow removal and neither should you.
Endure some hardship and be a man like your forefathers.

Anyone who can survive a winter in Valley Forge without decent
supplies (and a warm house) while getting shot at is a better man then
I'll ever be.

I'd love to ride my regular trails tomorrow but I'm getting too old to
slip on the ice and crash into trees - when you do that at my age you
break things.

I just gotta get my fix tomorrow or I'll be miserable all week...

Get studded tires. Just because you can't ride something doesn't mean
it's unrideable to everyone.

JD

Old December 11th 05, 01:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:37:43 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've been riding it for about five years and my recollection is that there is
some removal sometimes, but that you cannot count on it.

The Schulkyll River/Perkiomen trail seemd to have zero snow removal last year.

It never even occurred to me that anyone would remove snow on either
the Perkiomen or Schulkyll River trails. Have you been on either one
since Friday? I rode both of those trails a lot last summer. The
long rides really helped with endurance.

I need to do something tomorrow. A road ride will do it. It's flat
where I live and at least Valley Forge has a few (albeit small) hills.
Guess I'll decide when I get in the car...

Thanks.
Old December 11th 05, 02:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 10 Dec 2005 17:41:31 -0800, "JD" wrote:

Get studded tires. Just because you can't ride something doesn't mean
it's unrideable to everyone.

I never suggested that other riders aren't more capable.

I definitely want to try a set of studded tires this winter. I wasn't
expecting snow here so early in the season. It usually waits until
January.
Old December 11th 05, 04:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Phil wrote:
On 10 Dec 2005 17:41:31 -0800, "JD" wrote:

Get studded tires. Just because you can't ride something doesn't mean
it's unrideable to everyone.

I never suggested that other riders aren't more capable.

Sure you did, in suggesting that the snow be removed to make the trail
easier just for you and others who can't ride it like that. That's
called dumbing down a trail and is wrong in any form.

I definitely want to try a set of studded tires this winter. I wasn't
expecting snow here so early in the season. It usually waits until
January.

So, how come you didn't go buy some today and then ride?

JD

Old December 11th 05, 02:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per JD:
Sure you did, in suggesting that the snow be removed to make the trail
easier just for you and others who can't ride it like that. That's
called dumbing down a trail and is wrong in any form.

I don't think the op was referring to trails. More likely blacktopped
mini-roads dedicated to pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Maybe ridable with
studs when covered, but hopeless otherwise because of the black ice that forms
under the snow.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 11th 05, 02:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Phil:
Have you been on either one
since Friday? I rode both of those trails a lot last summer. The
long rides really helped with endurance.

When it's under 40, I come coughing my brains out... so I stick with the
stairmaster and the gym most of the winter.
--
PeteCresswell