Quality of VINTAGE EDCO Hub?

Old February 16th 14, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Quality of VINTAGE EDCO Hub?

On 2/16/2014 2:11 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:30:41 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/16/2014 12:51 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:01:14 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/15/2014 7:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

How good were EDCO hubs? I have a chance to get a rear tubular wheel with a Mavic rim to match my front tubular Mavic rim wheel. The rear wheel I'm looking at has an EDCO threaded hub but I don't know what model it is. Were EDCO hubs decent hubs? COmparable to what other builder?

Good quality Swiss made sealed cartridge hub IF the axle

spacing suits your application.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the pertient reply Andrew.

I guess there iis somethig unusual about the axle spacing? What is it?

Thanks again and cheers

Whether you need 120m, 126mm, 130mm or tandem 140mm they are

very well made.

I doubt you could find a replacement axle set to change the

spacing though.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

So, if I'm following this right, the Edco hub uses a proprietary round axle that is scarcer than hen's teth on a rooster?

Thanks again and cheers from Peter

For the cartridge hubs that's right.
If you meant the older loose ball hubs, any metric axle
would do,arrange spacers as you wish.

Old February 16th 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:39:31 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Andrew. I'm pretty sure it's an older loose ball bearings hub. It's a low flange thread freewheel type hub and is laced to a Mavic GP4 rim and has a new Vitorria tubular tire on it.

Cheers
Old February 16th 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:07:37 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

oooooooooooooo

and the headline reads:

ANTIQUE BICYCLE RIDER FALLS UNDER BUS WHEN WHEEL SEIZES
Old February 17th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:17:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Get real Daniels!

There are lots of vintage hubs in use that if properly lubed and adjusted pose no danger of "SEIZING" in use.

Cheers

Old February 17th 14, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

explain to us why your desire for 'vintage hubs' ?

Old February 17th 14, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:46:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
explain to us why your desire for 'vintage hubs' ?

To go on my 40+ yhears old vintage bicycle.

Cheers
Old February 17th 14, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 05:02:09 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:49:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:50:52 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

How good were EDCO hubs? I have a chance to get a rear tubular wheel with a Mavic rim to match my front tubular Mavic rim wheel. The rear wheel I'm looking at has an EDCO threaded hub but I don't know what model it is. Were EDCO hubs decent hubs? COmparable to what other builder?

Thanks and cheers.

what is the intension ? riding to Guam or around the block ?

http://sogmpa.web.unc.edu/files/2011/05/Photo11.jpg

It's be really nice if some people would simply reply with on-topic information to a simple request post.

Geeze it's not that hard to ignore something if you're not going to contribute something worthwhile.

Cheers

From looking at their site it appeared that they made several
different hubs, some of which, at least, looked like high end stuff.

(but "unknown model hub" is a bit difficult to evaluate :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 17th 14, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:15:00 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:46:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:

explain to us why your desire for 'vintage hubs' ?

To go on my 40+ yhears old vintage bicycle.

Cheers

QUEST !

the road Raleigh here is 36. Original hubs are boxed.

Comparing the original hubs to the now Deore hubs is no contest for actual riding.

While the Deore are substantial, originals look and heft like 'racing hubs' maybe a combo of selling and - metallurgy. If undimpled, originals would not support confidence for short distance riding....in time of assembly and use.

In Volvo think, period hubs are kinda 'arty' for 'real' use

all original hubs salvaged and examined were dimpled.
Old February 17th 14, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:49:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:50:52 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

How good were EDCO hubs? I have a chance to get a rear tubular wheel with a Mavic rim to match my front tubular Mavic rim wheel. The rear wheel I'm looking at has an EDCO threaded hub but I don't know what model it is. Were EDCO hubs decent hubs? COmparable to what other builder?

Thanks and cheers.

what is the intension ? riding to Guam or around the block ?

http://sogmpa.web.unc.edu/files/2011/05/Photo11.jpg

It's be really nice if some people would simply reply with on-topic information to a simple request post.

Geeze it's not that hard to ignore something if you're not going to contribute something worthwhile.

Cheers

From looking at their site it appeared that they made several

different hubs, some of which, at least, looked like high end stuff.

(but "unknown model hub" is a bit difficult to evaluate :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

Sir Ridesalot is probably looking at the Edco Competition. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...5-a4136d6d702d