A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Brake Cable Routing = Which way is best for performance?

Old February 19th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Brake Cable Routing = Which way is best for performance?

When routing cables there have been many ways to do it.First was over the handlebars brake cable housig with long swooping curves. They usedcable clips on the top tube and then later brace on cable housing guides were used. Next there were cable housings routed through tthe top tube. Then there were aero brake cable routing the cable housing under the handlebar tape which meant a tighter radius in each of the curves of the cable housing.

Given identical cables and cable housing with each type of routing, which one would theoreticlly if not practically give the best performance? Assume too that the actual brake calipers are the samefor every setup.

Cheers
Ads
Old February 19th 14, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

http://goo.gl/wuocdM
Old February 19th 14, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:14:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
http://goo.gl/wuocdM

I'm not connected to premium cable systems but have squooze a coupla Lghtspeeds and newly adjusted customers premium bikes .....effortless smooth and linear...before out the door off course.

Comparatively, my work is 'like' tugging on a rope.

http://goo.gl/tkRezm
Old February 19th 14, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

buy 6...

http://goo.gl/5p8WyJ
Old February 19th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 2/18/2014 9:42 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When routing cables there have been many ways to do it.First was over the handlebars brake cable housig with long swooping curves. They usedcable clips on the top tube and then later brace on cable housing guides were used. Next there were cable housings routed through tthe top tube. Then there were aero brake cable routing the cable housing under the handlebar tape which meant a tighter radius in each of the curves of the cable housing.

Given identical cables and cable housing with each type of routing, which one would theoreticlly if not practically give the best performance? Assume too that the actual brake calipers are the samefor every setup.

Cheers

That's easy.
Outside the handlebar with traditional levers.
You want a large radius while avoiding recurves.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old February 19th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:42:08 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

But the levers do have to be different for the old over-the-bar vs. the new under-the-tape routing, and that makes a big difference. The pivot point of the new-style levers seems better positioned, to better match a person's finger action.

On my old touring bike, I eventually switched from old-style cable-in-the-breeze brake levers to new-style cable-under-tape "aero" levers. Same (cantilever) brakes. The new ones feel a lot better to me, so much so that I eventually did the same on my even older utility bike.

And I'm not a guy who jumps to buy each new bit of bike technology!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 19th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:24:05 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/18/2014 9:42 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Cheers

That's easy.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yup

http://www.raydobbins.com/molteni_replica/photo19.jpg

FRICTION LEVERS ! Shimano housing(s) mated with Shimano cable(s) run in soaked Finish Line Wax and Teflon..

a big turn into the deray with a section of Ultra Housing if separate.

continual end housing lubing with liquid silicone

but there are bar bags amd I doahno for Bikepacking....dirt road but trail ?

when there at the end use trail level does response design qualify or dirt proofing....pick.

I'm pleased getting the right gear, brake release ahhhhhhh brake release let me count the ways.......
Old February 19th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 2/19/2014 11:39 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:42:08 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

But the levers do have to be different for the old over-the-bar vs. the new under-the-tape routing, and that makes a big difference. The pivot point of the new-style levers seems better positioned, to better match a person's finger action.

On my old touring bike, I eventually switched from old-style cable-in-the-breeze brake levers to new-style cable-under-tape "aero" levers. Same (cantilever) brakes. The new ones feel a lot better to me, so much so that I eventually did the same on my even older utility bike.

And I'm not a guy who jumps to buy each new bit of bike technology!

- Frank Krygowski

Uh, let's assume a 1990 Record lever or something which
could route either way.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 19th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 2/19/2014 12:35 PM, wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That's easy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
yup

FRICTION LEVERS ! Shimano housing(s) mated with Shimano cable(s) run in soaked Finish Line Wax and Teflon..
when there at the end use trail level does response design qualify or dirt proofing....pick.
I'm pleased getting the right gear, brake release ahhhhhhh brake release let me count the ways.......

OMG that's a gorgeous thing and a beautiful photo.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 19th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:58:50 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/19/2014 12:35 PM, wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That's easy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yup

OMG that's a gorgeous thing and a beautiful photo.

I've got one of those Unicanitor saddles on my commuting bike. No Benotto death tape -- not up here in the wet PNW. I need something with more traction.

Speaking of cable routing, with all the muck, I would be better off with the old over the BB routing, or maybe something super-modern, like this: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ross/crockett/ I get lots of sticking with the under the BB route. I would like to find a cable guide that has closed tubes.

-- Jay Beattie.