Brake Cable Routing = Which way is best for performance?

Old February 19th 14, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Brake Cable Routing = Which way is best for performance?

When routing cables there have been many ways to do it.First was over the handlebars brake cable housig with long swooping curves. They usedcable clips on the top tube and then later brace on cable housing guides were used. Next there were cable housings routed through tthe top tube. Then there were aero brake cable routing the cable housing under the handlebar tape which meant a tighter radius in each of the curves of the cable housing.

Given identical cables and cable housing with each type of routing, which one would theoreticlly if not practically give the best performance? Assume too that the actual brake calipers are the samefor every setup.

Cheers
Old February 19th 14, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/wuocdM
Old February 19th 14, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:14:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
http://goo.gl/wuocdM

I'm not connected to premium cable systems but have squooze a coupla Lghtspeeds and newly adjusted customers premium bikes .....effortless smooth and linear...before out the door off course.

Comparatively, my work is 'like' tugging on a rope.

http://goo.gl/tkRezm
Old February 19th 14, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

buy 6...

http://goo.gl/5p8WyJ
Old February 19th 14, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/18/2014 9:42 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When routing cables there have been many ways to do it.First was over the handlebars brake cable housig with long swooping curves. They usedcable clips on the top tube and then later brace on cable housing guides were used. Next there were cable housings routed through tthe top tube. Then there were aero brake cable routing the cable housing under the handlebar tape which meant a tighter radius in each of the curves of the cable housing.

Given identical cables and cable housing with each type of routing, which one would theoreticlly if not practically give the best performance? Assume too that the actual brake calipers are the samefor every setup.

Cheers

That's easy.
Outside the handlebar with traditional levers.
You want a large radius while avoiding recurves.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 19th 14, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:42:08 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
When routing cables there have been many ways to do it.First was over the handlebars brake cable housig with long swooping curves. They usedcable clips on the top tube and then later brace on cable housing guides were used. Next there were cable housings routed through tthe top tube. Then there were aero brake cable routing the cable housing under the handlebar tape which meant a tighter radius in each of the curves of the cable housing.

Given identical cables and cable housing with each type of routing, which one would theoreticlly if not practically give the best performance? Assume too that the actual brake calipers are the samefor every setup.

But the levers do have to be different for the old over-the-bar vs. the new under-the-tape routing, and that makes a big difference. The pivot point of the new-style levers seems better positioned, to better match a person's finger action.

On my old touring bike, I eventually switched from old-style cable-in-the-breeze brake levers to new-style cable-under-tape "aero" levers. Same (cantilever) brakes. The new ones feel a lot better to me, so much so that I eventually did the same on my even older utility bike.

And I'm not a guy who jumps to buy each new bit of bike technology!

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 19th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:24:05 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yup

http://www.raydobbins.com/molteni_replica/photo19.jpg

FRICTION LEVERS ! Shimano housing(s) mated with Shimano cable(s) run in soaked Finish Line Wax and Teflon..

a big turn into the deray with a section of Ultra Housing if separate.

continual end housing lubing with liquid silicone

but there are bar bags amd I doahno for Bikepacking....dirt road but trail ?

when there at the end use trail level does response design qualify or dirt proofing....pick.

I'm pleased getting the right gear, brake release ahhhhhhh brake release let me count the ways.......
Old February 19th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/19/2014 11:39 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Uh, let's assume a 1990 Record lever or something which
could route either way.

Old February 19th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/19/2014 12:35 PM, wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

OMG that's a gorgeous thing and a beautiful photo.

Old February 19th 14, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:58:50 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/19/2014 12:35 PM, wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I've got one of those Unicanitor saddles on my commuting bike. No Benotto death tape -- not up here in the wet PNW. I need something with more traction.

Speaking of cable routing, with all the muck, I would be better off with the old over the BB routing, or maybe something super-modern, like this: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ross/crockett/ I get lots of sticking with the under the BB route. I would like to find a cable guide that has closed tubes.

-- Jay Beattie.

WTB: aero cable routing insert for c-record/chorus brake levers [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 28th 08 04:00 AM
Cable routing Larry[_2_] Techniques 5 June 12th 07 02:42 AM
Cable routing on FSA k wings without internal routing. chad Techniques 3 June 13th 06 12:03 AM
drop bar cable routing [email protected] Techniques 9 December 10th 05 02:20 PM
V-brake cable routing troubleshoot Brian Ray Techniques 9 April 23rd 05 11:57 PM