Heine on inflation

Old March 11th 16, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Heine on inflation

On 2016-03-11 07:34, wrote:
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:46:30 PM UTC-6, Joerg wrote:
And one guy wearing jeans with a belt? Who rides in jeans and a
belt?

raises hand

I do. Jeans shorts, with belt. -- Regards, Joerg

On a group bicycle ride as in the picture? I understand using jeans
and a belt to ride to the store. But jeans and a belt on a group
bicycle ride where you know in advance you are going on a ride. You
have a designated meeting time and place to begin the ride. And then
ride out in the country. Jeans and belt?

Sure, absolutely. When we meet I never show up any different, it's jeans
shorts with belt and an older T-shirt. I do not own Lycra stuff, don't
like it and I get a rash from any non-natural fibers. Jeans are simply
more comfortable for me. Same with cleats, I don't own such pedals or
shoes and don't want them.

As for group rides I have a hard time convincing people to join up for a
45-50 miler. Most find that number of miles excessive because of the
hills. So I often end up riding alone. Suits me and I am not too fond of
large groups anyhow. If I ride in groups its half a dozen riders at the
most, usually folks with hardcore MTB XC background, and we all like a
stop at one of the watering holes along the way if they have good local
brewsky. Sometimes I carry my stainless growler along.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 11th 16, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

As for group rides I have a hard time convincing people to join up for a
45-50 miler. Most find that number of miles excessive because of the
hills.

Do you live in the Sahara or Antarctica? Apparently you live where there are no bicyclists except yourself. 45-50 miles is a short ride in the summer. On the long side at this time of year due to the cold and limited daylight.
Old March 11th 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-11 13:04, wrote:

As for group rides I have a hard time convincing people to join up
for a 45-50 miler. Most find that number of miles excessive because
of the hills.

Do you live in the Sahara or Antarctica? Apparently you live where
there are no bicyclists except yourself. 45-50 miles is a short ride
in the summer. On the long side at this time of year due to the cold
and limited daylight.

Lots of cyclists out here. But other than the large clubs they usually
go on shorter evening rides. Most are not self-employed and can't take
half a day off like I can. I like to ride earlier in the day when the
bike traffic on the main bike paths is moderate, thus not in the
evenings where all the commuters and fitness riders are out.

As I said before I do not enjoy riding in very large groups. Hence I am
not a member of the Sacramento Wheelmen or similar clubs. I ride the
45-50 milers pretty much no matter what the weather which is also an
issue for some. "But it says severe thunderstorms at 4pm" ... "So what?"
.... yeah, I was drenched but happy. And brought home the promised
growler :-)

The super-sporty club cyclists also take things too serious IMO. A stop
at the pub is totally out of the question for many because they say it
slows them down afterwards. So what?

I could also imagine that many wouldn't like to ride with me because I
lack proper colorful cycling attire.

Old March 12th 16, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 5:20:57 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-03-11 13:04, wrote:

[...]

riding with a drunken german is completely out of the.......
Old March 12th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 4:04:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:

As for group rides I have a hard time convincing people to join up for a
45-50 miler. Most find that number of miles excessive because of the
hills.

Do you live in the Sahara or Antarctica? Apparently you live where there are no bicyclists except yourself. 45-50 miles is a short ride in the summer. On the long side at this time of year due to the cold and limited daylight.

https://www.google.com/#q=blog+place...rra+mtb+trails

https://www.google.com/#q=bikepacking

great trailing over gold rush footpaths

J's side seems turned to rough cart tracks. the east side is more single track

outstanding video on utube
Old March 12th 16, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:35:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

And a picture below you have two guys with Grizzly Adams beards
and handlebar bags bigger than suitcases. Were they going on
a week long ride and needed to carry all their gear?

Or they may have planned to pick up some cheese and chocolate at the
turn-around point.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old March 12th 16, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 07:30:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:38:50 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:

The guys with the beards are carrying handle bar bags that look very
similar to what Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur riders carry.

The Paris - Brest - Paris is a 1200 km(~745 miles) ride done in 90
hours or less. The winning rider in 2015 did the distance in a bit
over 42 hours.

Ha ha. Ho ho. I have ridden Paris-Brest-Paris. 2007. My memory is fading but I do not recall anyone using handlebar bags anywhere near that size. I was with the fast group, the 80 hour. So maybe all the people with suitcases on the front of their bikes were in the 90 hour group leaving behind me.

But some do carry bags. Example:

2015 Christian Mauduit 68.20 E123 Photos:
http://ultra.ufoot.org/2015/crpbp/img-001997
E038 even seems to be carrying a backpack and finished in 74.12.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 12th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 6:38:50 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:

The guys with the beards are carrying handle bar bags that look very
similar to what Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur riders carry.

The Paris - Brest - Paris is a 1200 km(~745 miles) ride done in 90
hours or less. The winning rider in 2015 did the distance in a bit
over 42 hours.

Ha ha. Ho ho. I have ridden Paris-Brest-Paris. 2007. My memory is fading but I do not recall anyone using handlebar bags anywhere near that size. I was with the fast group, the 80 hour. So maybe all the people with suitcases on the front of their bikes were in the 90 hour group leaving behind me.

But some do carry bags. Example:

2015 Christian Mauduit 68.20 E123 Photos:
http://ultra.ufoot.org/2015/crpbp/img-001997
E038 even seems to be carrying a backpack and finished in 74.12.

Some also don't adhere to the Lycra "dress code":

http://www.letelegramme.fr/local/mor...11-1408687.php

It puzzles me how they can keep a 46.5km/h average. That's almost 30mph.
If I try to hold 25mph for even just an hour I am really tuckered out.

Old March 12th 16, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-11 13:04,
wrote:

[...]

Nah, the growler isn't opened during the ride. Would be illegal in CA
(open container). That's so my wife can also enjoy the fruits of my
rides. In the summer and fall I also pick wild blackberries from bushes
along MTB trails. My wife turns blackberries into good stuff like this:

https://mamouandco.wordpress.com/201...-et-aux-mures/

Old March 13th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-12 16:37, Phil W Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Sat, 12 Mar 2016
11:04:00 -0800 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

[...]

That speed is the one he achieved in the race at Monza, on the motor
racing circuit, not in the PBP, and was only over 3 hours. Note he
uses a recumbent, which is far more efficient than a UCIcle.
To achieve that speed in the PBP would be phenomenal, and would give a
finishing time in the order of 26 hrs 27 min. Google translate is
unclear on whether he used a fairing in the PBP (although he clearly
didn't in the race at Monza), although it gives his time for that as
80hr3min (which averages 15.3654km/h), so not particularly fast for a
serious sporting rider on a recumbent in the PBP. They give the
distance as 1260km (maybe that's what he measured). The official PBP
website states 1230km, which splits the difference between the 1200
quoted above (which corresponds with the original distance) and that
given for the rider in that article, so is probably the most accurate.
But the speed you have to achieve to finish in under the 90 hour limit
is only 13.667 km/h, so nobody averaged over 40km/h - even that would
have them finishing in 30h45m.

Hmm, considering it's not in the Alps that should be easy. It's well
below my usual average speed where I only stop because I reached a
destination. This would allow the occasional stop at a nice pub,
preferably one with Belgian ales. But France is too far away.

Even the 42h26 of the winning rider is just under 28.99 km/h average,
and that's the amateur record (the pro record is 38h55m, but over an
easier course, in 1951 - the last time it was accredited as a pro
race).

I could not hold that speed for such a long time.

1230/90 isn't that complicated, nor is 1230/30.

Not sure what those numbers mean.

Although that's a day and night average, including all stops, on
country lanes, with mostly dynamo headlights.
So it seems that a 30km/h average over 1230km of real, varied roads,
is not actually possible.

It would certainly be impossible for me. One needs to know one's limits.

... Knocking over 1h26m off last year's winning
time (the amateur record) would be a pretty amazing feat though, even
if there was a major difference in weather), never mind achieving
30mph (which would need more than twice the sustained power). Maybe
possible with motor pacing, I suppose - if you can avoid falling
asleep and running into your pace vehicle. 25h37.5m staring at the
back of a pace vehicle is going to be more than a little hypnotic. And
it would be cheating anyway.

I don't even like following another cyclist closer than the usual
two-second safety distance.

As for falling asleep while cycling that has happened to me as a kid. On
the way to school, was a long night before, sleep deprivation. I woke up
when the bike shook on the turf and by that time I was way off the bike
path. Got it back on without crashing, barely.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Jan Heine on headlights Frank Krygowski[_2_] Techniques 2 September 29th 13 01:46 AM
Kickin a little (Jan) Heine ceecee Techniques 1 July 2nd 10 03:00 PM
OT Inflation Tom Crispin UK 77 August 16th 08 01:17 PM
OT Inflation Danny Colyer UK 0 August 12th 08 06:35 PM
OT Inflation spindrift UK 0 August 12th 08 03:40 PM