A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

windbreaks for bikes?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 10th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 919
Default windbreaks for bikes?

Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Ads
  #2  
Old December 10th 17, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,161
Default windbreaks for bikes?

On 12/10/2017 12:10 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....


Yes, those have been commercially available for decades. See
http://www.zzipper.com/

I tried one for a few years for my winter commutes, long ago. I think it
did keep me warmer, and I think it made me a little faster.

But it was noisy, giving a rumbling sound over any bumps in the road
(and we have many). It made the bike a little less portable for carrying
up and down stairs, when I worried about damaging it. The mounting
brackets were sort of flat, wide aluminum hooks that velcroed onto the
brake lever hoods, and they were a bit uncomfortable for me.

In my experience, the benefits weren't great and the detriments weren't
great, but I stopped using it because I didn't think the benefits were
worth the slight hassle.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old December 10th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,820
Default windbreaks for bikes?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:48:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 12/10/2017 12:10 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on the handlebar just
like they have on MCs and snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why stop at that? I often
feel the cold wind even tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the entire body....


Yes, those have been commercially available for decades. See
http://www.zzipper.com/

I tried one for a few years for my winter commutes, long ago. I think
it did keep me warmer, and I think it made me a little faster.

But it was noisy, giving a rumbling sound over any bumps in the road
(and we have many). It made the bike a little less portable for
carrying up and down stairs, when I worried about damaging it. The
mounting brackets were sort of flat, wide aluminum hooks that velcroed
onto the brake lever hoods, and they were a bit uncomfortable for me.

In my experience, the benefits weren't great and the detriments
weren't great, but I stopped using it because I didn't think the
benefits were worth the slight hassle.


Get a Dutch velomobile.

I'm only a little facetious about that. A friend recently got one and
has been delighted with it. It's fast, comfortable and especially the
latter on rainy or cold days. The downside is they are very expensive
and practically take as much room as a small car to store.
  #4  
Old December 10th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,374
Default windbreaks for bikes?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rei+...obile&ie=UTF-8

The pictured fairings are oversized n noisy as said: geometry

Fairings only on the bars
  #5  
Old December 10th 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,635
Default windbreaks for bikes?

On 12/10/2017 11:10 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Did anyone think of putting small windbreaks on
the handlebar just like they have on MCs and
snowmobiles? Insulation, gloves, and
non-smoking would be the first steps but why
stop at that? I often feel the cold wind even
tho not biking especially fast. If the hands
(and feet) are cold, it would seem so is the
entire body....


http://www.barmitts.com/
we sell these

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #6  
Old December 10th 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,374
Default windbreaks for bikes?

ski mitts may not be long distance friendly ....'like' 100 sneakers

Pogies on kayak paddle shafts are standard cold weather gear

I have a complete line of clothing for Alaska bring part to Daytona for the 24 hours. Warm at noon, sun sets behind the stands. The warm to cold was a surprise for many. DUH was in the forecast.

After I had pulled out a hoodie 300PM, a nylon wind breaker4PM, specs evacing,

I went into the pack for a new pair of ski gloves ..

causing the loudspeaker to erupt in pain: HE'S GOT SKI GLOVES !

I was told the area was scoured for brown cotton gloves leaving 0000 of anything of cold weather value

  #7  
Old December 11th 17, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 919
Default windbreaks for bikes?

AMuzi wrote:

http://www.barmitts.com/ we sell these


They look a bit bulky and claustrophobic but
I suppose they are good when you can only have
a light glove because you must fiddle with
shifters (and brakes?).

The other ones suggested, at
http://www.zzipper.com is a bit overkill.
Not the entire "cockpit" area has to be
covered, rather something like a 1.5 l PET
bottle cut in half, and placed where the
hands are on the handlebar.

In general, I guess the best benefit from this
would be either riding in/over snow, or very
fast, and at both ventures, shifting is
essential...

But one could easily think of my scenario as
well, moderate speed, winter in the city (but
not snow on the roads)...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #8  
Old December 11th 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,689
Default windbreaks for bikes?

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 9:41:58 AM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.barmitts.com/ we sell these


They look a bit bulky and claustrophobic but
I suppose they are good when you can only have
a light glove because you must fiddle with
shifters (and brakes?).

The other ones suggested, at
http://www.zzipper.com is a bit overkill.
Not the entire "cockpit" area has to be
covered, rather something like a 1.5 l PET
bottle cut in half, and placed where the
hands are on the handlebar.

In general, I guess the best benefit from this
would be either riding in/over snow, or very
fast, and at both ventures, shifting is
essential...

But one could easily think of my scenario as
well, moderate speed, winter in the city (but
not snow on the roads)...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573


Bar-mitts are designed to fit over the brake lever AND the shifter. They are very useful and they block the wind which means the mitts/gloves one wears don't have to be so thick as they do if you don't use bar-mitts.

Cheers
  #9  
Old December 11th 17, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 919
Default windbreaks for bikes?

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Bar-mitts are designed to fit over the brake
lever AND the shifter. They are very useful
and they block the wind which means the
mitts/gloves one wears don't have to be so
thick as they do if you don't use bar-mitts.


Amazing but true!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #10  
Old December 12th 17, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,177
Default windbreaks for bikes?

On 11/12/17 17:40, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

Bar-mitts are designed to fit over the brake lever AND the shifter.
They are very useful and they block the wind which means the
mitts/gloves one wears don't have to be so thick as they do if you
don't use bar-mitts.


I ride with HotPogs[1] over the winter and they are good down to about
-5 then thin gloves are needed, I suspect because brake levers/bars
become too cold. Wind proof yes, water proof as well. They also keep
the rain off the legs a bit, an unexpected benefit. The big point
though is simply accessing keys/work passes/crossings without the need
to remove gloves.


[1] https://www.hotpog.co.uk/adventurer-...in-bike-pogies
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do police stations still sell recovered bikes? 2nd hand bikes Maurice Wibblington UK 11 September 19th 06 09:23 AM
Bikes and Things Bikes - I'm kind of Ignorant FunkyRes Techniques 8 September 14th 05 02:07 PM
Dreadful bikes, awful bikes, triage and maintenance Simon Brooke UK 14 August 10th 05 04:14 PM
A question - Girls' bikes and boys' bikes - Why the difference? ShoeFly General 7 April 21st 04 01:34 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.