bike shedding most boring trend

Old January 26th 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default bike shedding most boring trend

On 26/01/2018 7:35 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
lou.holtman wrote:

Black/grey never goes out of fashion.

Suicidal teenage girls agree.

Black and grey are my favorite "colors" for clothing or bikes. I'm not
suicidal, teenage nor female. Not sure what your point is...

Old January 26th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

Black and grey are my favorite "colors" for
clothing or bikes.

The Reaper agrees.

Having everything black, e.g. equipment (very
common for computer stuff for example) is also
detrimental as 1) you get depressed just by
looking at it, and 2) it is (more) difficult to
find the thing you'd like if everything is the
same color.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old January 26th 18, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 26/01/2018 9:28 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane wrote:

Black and grey are my favorite "colors" for
clothing or bikes.

The Reaper agrees.

You mean relative to cycling? Shorts and bibs are always going to be
black for me.
http://www.jokelibrary.net/xOtherAto...le-shorts.html

Jerseys are colored. And lights when it's dark keep me visible.

Having everything black, e.g. equipment (very
common for computer stuff for example) is also
detrimental as 1) you get depressed just by
looking at it, and 2) it is (more) difficult to
find the thing you'd like if everything is the
same color.

Sounds like a personal opinion. What depresses me about computer
equipment is working when it's a nice riding day. Not the color.
Old January 26th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/26/2018 9:28 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

Having everything black, e.g. equipment (very
common for computer stuff for example) is also
detrimental as 1) you get depressed just by
looking at it, and 2) it is (more) difficult to
find the thing you'd like if everything is the
same color.

I'll admit, there's some frustration in having a black suitcase
containing a black toiletry kit, a black camera case, a black case for
an eReader, etc.

But somehow I'm always able to find my bicycles. And the black bike
makes me smile as often as the others.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Ralph Barone" wrote in message
news
Ian Field wrote:

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
Here Is the BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc [1]
which is an example of what I have seen many
times now in the "cycling press", and that is
to have the frame in one (and only one) bright
color, and then everything else in gray or most
often black!

Very ugly IMO. Black is the most boring and
depressing color which is why kids are afraid
of the dark and people wear black at funerals.

Motorcycle accident statistics hint that a black motorcycle with rider in
black leathers is less likely to get a SMIDSY.

Cant remember having seen a black bicycle - so there probably isn't any
data.

Sure, if the leathers have "Hell's Angels" emblazoned across the back,
otherwise I'm not so sure about that factoid.

You've probably nailed it - but a motorcyclist can be adequately sinister
without being a member of anything.

Safety in numbers doesn't always work either - there are clips of
motorcyclists out on a run getting rammed by some nutter in a SUV.

Old January 26th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

or a group of bicyclists under a pickup:
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/kal...ists/235907309

or a rental box truck:
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.3602094

One of our customers, an old friend, was riding just in
front of that mayhem, inches from death. The tourist he had
just passed was killed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 27th 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Numbers don't seem to count any more. The other day we had a
motorcycle run smack dab into the side of a train hauling 50 cars.

With the expected result.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 27th 18, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

Having everything black, e.g.
equipment (very common for computer stuff
for example) is also detrimental as 1) you
get depressed just by looking at it, and 2)
it is (more) difficult to find the thing
you'd like if everything is the same color.

Sounds like a personal opinion.

Well, colors are emotional. Even as a boy
I loved colors. Isn't that pretty uncommon?
Try take LSD and ride your bike thru
a post-industrial area at night. That will be
colorful. Actually one can have almost the same
effect, at least with respect to the lights,
with this method. Take a hot shower with the
lights off for ~10m. Then take a cold shower
(with the controls to the max cold) for as long
as you endure. By swallowing water it will be
even colder. Then ride the bike after sunset.
Now the lights will look really cool, like oily
and flashy. And this effect lasts for hours!
(It'll be left as an exercise to figure out
how I discovered this method.)

Colors are a matter of taste yes but generally
speaking there are some general truths.

Black makes things look smaller and is
depressing, associated with death, fear, and
so on.

White isn't anything really but makes things
look bigger.

Red is associated with danger (from fire, and
blood perhaps as well).

Green is soothing. The human eye is best suited
to distinguish differences, nuances, in green -
maybe from evolution, looking for food in the
jungle? So it makes sense to have many shades
of green.

Functionally speaking, and many have an eye for
this which is also connected to the perception
of beauty, I think the direction should be not
to have different, adjacent things in the exact
same color. This looks wierd. This is why the
Swiss bike in the OP looks bad to me. It looks
like it is made out of two parts, like a toy or
something artificial, not the real thing.

What depresses me about computer equipment is
working when it's a nice riding day.
Not the color.

With computers the background should be black
to reduce the light that enters your eyes for
decoding. Everything else should be colorized
according to function to reduce "reading" and
increase "seeing":

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/dumps/elisp.png

Old January 27th 18, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

One of our customers, an old friend, was
riding just in front of that mayhem, inches
from death. The tourist he had just passed
was killed.

Cycling sure seem more violent in the US.
I don't know what the stats are. In France,
I hear that in the process of getting a driver
license a not insignificant part is spent on
how to respond to cyclists sharing the road.

Old January 27th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/27/2018 12:56 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

One of our customers, an old friend, was
riding just in front of that mayhem, inches
from death. The tourist he had just passed
was killed.

Cycling sure seem more violent in the US.
I don't know what the stats are.

Stats vary, but the U.S. risk is very frequently overstated.

Very roughly, U.S. cyclists suffer one fatality every 10 million miles
of riding. In Britain, it's closer to one fatality in 20 million miles.
In Germany, perhaps one per 50 million miles.

So yes, the U.S. is more dangerous. But it's really a comparison of one
negligible risk against another negligible risk. How long will it take
you to ride 10 million miles?

Also, those figures are grand averages. We've had posters here who have
bragged about riding drunk (or on LSD), riding with no lights at night,
using ramps to fly through the air as they enter intersections from
sidewalks, etc. Those nut cases are part of the grand average. Competent
riders should have much lower risks.

We also have many people who are too innumerate to understand the above
numbers, or to use them in context. It's not unusual to hear, when
giving evidence of negligible risk, "But what if that one person is
YOU??" (I've come across this not only with bicycling, but - believe it
or not - with the issue of risk from a tree falling when a person walks
in a forest! Danger!! Danger!!)

The fact is, people are very bad at evaluating a negligible risk of a
disastrous outcome. This is why so many are terrified of flying
commercial airlines.

In France,
I hear that in the process of getting a driver
license a not insignificant part is spent on
how to respond to cyclists sharing the road.

There are groups that are trying to improve that component of driving
education in America. I'm part of one such group.

But as I understand, it's much more difficult overall to get a driver's
license in Europe than in the U.S. Here, it really is astonishingly easy
- in fact, stupidly easy.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Lamilite sleeping bag is "shedding". [email protected] Techniques 0 March 6th 11 08:33 PM
Trend?? Sandy Techniques 8 October 23rd 09 10:05 PM
Disturbing trend in cycling RicodJour Racing 15 March 24th 07 04:38 PM
Advertising trend? Ken C. M. General 10 December 12th 06 04:24 PM
boring posed bike pic pauly Mountain Biking 7 June 7th 05 07:10 PM