Old Peugots and Stronglight Cranks

Old July 18th 05, 05:38 AM
Paul Hobson

Default Old Peugots and Stronglight Cranks

Ok, I have to break a previous promise, but here it goes anyway.

If I could get a Stronglight crankset from the 70's, it's a pretty safe
bet that it'll work on a Peugeot from the 70's with it's original
bottom bracket...right?

I mean...did stronglights come on all older bikes, or just Peugeots? Or
only Peugeot for a certain time?

On Sheldon's and other websites, TA and Stronglight cranks seem to be
the only cranks in the context of old French bikes. So I'm thinking
these should work...right?

thanks so much y'all!

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old July 19th 05, 03:47 AM
Paul Hobson

Bob wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:38:53 -0400, Paul Hobson
wrote:

Ok, I have to break a previous promise, but here it goes anyway.

If I could get a Stronglight crankset from the 70's, it's a pretty safe
bet that it'll work on a Peugeot from the 70's with it's original
bottom bracket...right?

Most all Peugeots that came with a quality crankset had Stronglights
on them stock. The usual model found since the early 70's was the
Stronglight '93. Some earlier bikes probably had a Stronglight 49.

A '70's Peugeot will likely have French thread pedals so watch for
that.

Stronglight parts (and most vintage stuff) seems to be going for way
too much on Ebay lately.

Bob

The Peugeot frame that's on the way (I'm not proud to say I got it off
ebay) doesn't have any cranks. I've pictures of the bottom bracket and
it appears to be a standard square taper...but i suppose there's no way
of knowing until it gets here. I'd post them online, but something is
weird with GT's server space right now. If you're a particularly kind
person and want me to email them, I can. Although for now I'll avoid
the 8th deadly sin of attaching files to my posting.

thanks for the tips!

\\paul

Old July 19th 05, 02:03 PM
Ron Abramson

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:38:53 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Ok, I have to break a previous promise, but here it goes anyway.

If I could get a Stronglight crankset from the 70's, it's a pretty safe
bet that it'll work on a Peugeot from the 70's with it's original
bottom bracket...right?

I mean...did stronglights come on all older bikes, or just Peugeots? Or
only Peugeot for a certain time?

On Sheldon's and other websites, TA and Stronglight cranks seem to be
the only cranks in the context of old French bikes. So I'm thinking
these should work...right?

thanks so much y'all!

\\paul

If the BB is good, a lot of cranks will fit the square tapers and give
you a usable chainline. Old Suginos work well, and are around in
abundance. Not as elegant as the Stronglights, but probably stronger,
plus most of them take more or less standard chainrings (not the case with
most of the old Stronglights).

Old July 19th 05, 11:46 PM
Paul Hobson

Ron Abramson wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:38:53 -0400, Paul Hobson wrote:

Ok, I have to break a previous promise, but here it goes anyway.

If I could get a Stronglight crankset from the 70's, it's a pretty safe
bet that it'll work on a Peugeot from the 70's with it's original
bottom bracket...right?

snip

\\paul

If the BB is good, a lot of cranks will fit the square tapers and give
you a usable chainline. Old Suginos work well, and are around in
abundance. Not as elegant as the Stronglights, but probably stronger,
plus most of them take more or less standard chainrings (not the case with
most of the old Stronglights).

Whoa...thanks a lot. That helps a ton!