1940's bicycle clothing

Old January 17th 18, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default 1940's bicycle clothing

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:48:45 -0800 (PST), Oculus Lights
wrote:

Wow, what huge response. Plaid flannel shirt, cuffed chinos, black
thin belt, and a brimmed beret (not what its called but never got
to learn what that kind of hat is)

It's not a beret. More like an "ivy newsboy cap":
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=ivy+newsboy+cap

However, if you want to look like the drawing instead of the photo,
maybe a multi-colored propeller hat:
https://www.google.com/search?q=propeller+hat&tbm=isch

Black Converse sneakers with ?? what kind of sox?

I still have a pair of such "tennis shoes". Center row, right side at
the end:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/shoes.html

Socks were either white cotton or wool in assorted drab colors (brown,
gray, tan).

Welcome to retrocycling.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 21st 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Oculus Lights wrote:
On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 3:41:11 PM UTC-8, Oculus Lights wrote:
Anyone have pictures or know of vintage 40's clothing sources?

Wow, what huge response. Plaid flannel shirt, cuffed chinos, black thin
belt, and a brimmed beret (not what its called but never got to learn what
that kind of hat is)
Black Converse sneakers with ?? what kind of sox?

Also love the Phil Rizzuto MVP Rolfast and Mickey Mantle glove promo
Thx all, Barry

Glad you realized that your life is more than that light you build.

BTW, look who else is starting(?) to use diffuse reflection:
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/render/w1280-q90/12.ILLUMINATION/18.BL/1.BR35/BR35_EN_15.jpg
Old January 21st 18, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 09:39:58 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Turned up cuffs on jeans were common.

We rolled up our jeans because they were too long. Don't roll up
jeans that are already the correct length.

Nothing should be shorter than mid-shin. Exposed knees were indecent.

Most pants, particularly children's pants and everyday pants, were too
long so that one leg-length could be sold to everybody. The farm-wife
magazines urged women to cut off their husband's overalls, and not let
them fold up cuffs -- cuffs were dangerous around farm machinery.

Cuffs on girl's pants were not a problem -- if we wanted to play on
the machinery, we would be wearing play suits. (Matching shirt and
shorts made from chicken-feed sacks.) Jeans were for weenie roasts
and hikes.

The *younger* girls wore play suits. The two older wore bathing suits
because they wanted a tan, and traffic on our road increased
considerably when one of them was plowing.

I can't remember what I wore between play suits and house dresses. We
moved to Florida just then, so it was probably jeans for play.
Definitely dresses for school.

Women's jeans have long been extinct, replaced by "designer jeans" of
no use for riding bikes or picking strawberries.

Women's bikes were designed to accommodate skirts. When my older
sisters got bikes, Dad wouldn't let them get that kind because stuff
marketed to women isn't built properly. (This is still true today.)
When I grew old enough to ride, my uncle made me a bike out of the
good parts of the older girl's bikes. I like to never learned how to
ride, because I'm a good deal shorter than them, and it took me longer
to grow into it. I'd never heard of bike fit, and assumed that I was
a slow learner.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old January 21st 18, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

In those days, women's jeans had a side zipper or buttons
besides the pattern differences.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 22nd 18, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't care to replace your Signature block with the Title "The
Old Sage" would you?

When I was a wee little fellow we were still on the farm and my mother
had, till she died, a photograph in the "picture album" of herself and
two filthy little creatures barefoot and clad in shorts. It turned out
that the before bedtime clean up consisted of being marched out to the
pump - mother's thumb and forefinger clenching the ear - and a good
scrub down with a bristle brush (while the brother pumped).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 22nd 18, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 14:20:02 +0100, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

BTW, look who else is starting(?) to use diffuse reflection:
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/render/w1280-q90/12.ILLUMINATION/18.BL/1.BR35/BR35_EN_15.jpg

Well, let's grind the numbers.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ABOUT/LATESTRELEASE/20180110/
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/ILLUMINATION/BL/BR35/
The basic specs a
2x XM_L2(U2) LED's
1800 lumens total
7750 candelas
170 meters throw
6800 ma-hr battery
17 hrs runtime.

Data sheet:
http://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/XLampXML2.pdf
The XM_L2(U2) at 3700-5000K, 2 Amps, and 85C delivers 728 lumens (see
Pg 3). At 2 amps, the voltage across the LED is 3.1 volts (see Pg 6)
for a power dissipation of:
2A * 3.1v = 6.2 watts per LED
There are two LED's and some loss from the reflector and lens. My
guess is about 15% loss for the tiny reflectors for:
728 * 0.85 = 619 lumens per LED
There are two LED's yielding 1240 lumens and 12.4 watts dissipation.
Efficacy for the XM_L2(U2) is therefo
1240 lumens / 12.4 watts = 100 lumens/watt
which is about right. (Without the lens and reflector, efficacy would
be 117 lumens/watt which is about what I would expect).

Assuming they run the battery down to 10% capacity before pulling the
plug to save the battery, that would give:
6800 * 0.90 = 6120 ma-hr available
In terms of watt-hrs, that's
6.120 Amp-hrs * 3.6V(avg) = 22 watt-hrs
The LED's present a load of 12.4 watts resulting in a runtime of:
22 watt-hrs / 12.4 = 1.8 hrs
at full brightness.

So, the real output is 1240 lumens, not 1800 lumens
and the real max brightness runtime is 1.8 hrs, not 17 hrs.

Old January 22nd 18, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I don't believe anyone who claims that a battery powered light that runs on 4 AA batteries have more effective light output after 1-2 hours than my dynohub powered Edelux II light from 10-15 km/hr and up.

Lou
Old January 22nd 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 05:10:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I don't believe anyone who claims that a battery powered light that runs
on 4 AA batteries have more effective light output after 1-2 hours
than my dynohub powered Edelux II light from 10-15 km/hr and up.
Lou

My guess(tm) is the Nitecore BR35 runs on two 18650 LiIon cells, not
AA cells.
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/render/w1280-q90/12.ILLUMINATION/18.BL/1.BR35/BR35_EN_15.jpg
I didn't see this when I scribbled my previous rant, but the following
web page includes a chart of runtimes versus lumens at various levels
and modes:
https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-BR35-Bike-Light-p/fl-nite-br35.htm
$130 list.

Anyone done a teardown yet? The various documents seem to refer to
"battery" instead of "batteries" or "cells". That kinda suggests that
there is only one LiIon 18650 or maybe 26650 cell inside. 6800 ma-hrs
from a single cells seems like science fiction.

Since you mention hub powered lights, how many lumens would you
estimate (or calculate) that your dynohub can deliver? (Yes, I know
that the brightest light is not always the best light). The hub
nominally produces about 3 watts of power:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shimano3N70.php
Assuming 100% conversion efficiency from hubs AC output to whatever
current source powers the LED(s), and assuming 100 lumens/watt LED
efficacy including the lens and reflector losses, the most that could
be delivered is:
100 lumens/watt * 3 watts = 300 lumens
I won't pass judgement on whether 300 lumens is adequate for every
possible style of night time cycling, but personally, I would like to
have some more lumens even if I don't use them.

Old January 22nd 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/22/2018 12:04 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Since you mention hub powered lights, how many lumens would you
estimate (or calculate) that your dynohub can deliver? (Yes, I know
that the brightest light is not always the best light). The hub
nominally produces about 3 watts of power:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shimano3N70.php
Assuming 100% conversion efficiency from hubs AC output to whatever
current source powers the LED(s), and assuming 100 lumens/watt LED
efficacy including the lens and reflector losses, the most that could
be delivered is:
100 lumens/watt * 3 watts = 300 lumens
I won't pass judgement on whether 300 lumens is adequate for every
possible style of night time cycling, but personally, I would like to
have some more lumens even if I don't use them.

Does that apply to other aspects of bicycle technology?

"I don't know if 48 spokes are adequate for every bicycle wheel, but
personally, I would like to have more than 48 spokes per wheel even if I
never need them."

Most high-end bike headlights are like 62 spoke wheels. How do you fit
62 spokes into a wheel? Well, you run a bunch of extra spokes from one
spot on the rim to another spot on the rim. Sure, they're going in a
direction that's totally useless, but it's still better, because, like,
it's MORE!

Just like lumens.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/22/2018 11:13 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

72 spoked wheel is a product:
http://www.statussuspension.com/lowr...h-76-35-1.html