Shipping a bicycle

Old September 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
KRYSTN MCCALEB

Default Shipping a bicycle

Hi,

I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii.
What is the best way and shipper to use?
I expect to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

Any help is appreciated.

Krystn

Old September 23rd 03, 03:34 AM
Jim Quinn

The last one I shipped I did so via Federal Express ground. There was a
significant difference between them and UPS. I would check out both (and
any other carriers) of them. My bicycle and box weighed 28 pounds combined.

news1Obb.554294$uu5.91929@sccrnsc04...

Old September 23rd 03, 03:52 AM
Matt O'Toole

"KRYSTN MCCALEB" wrote in message
news1Obb.554294$uu5.91929@sccrnsc04...

I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii.
What is the best way and shipper to use?
I expect to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

You can certainly get a box. All you have to do is ask, and they'll usually
point you to their dumpster out back.

Virtually all bike shops will pack and ship a bike for you. They charge varying
amounts -- our local shop here charged me only $10, while in CA they all wanted
$50 or so.

"Jim Quinn" wrote in message

The last one I shipped I did so via Federal Express ground. There was a
significant difference between them and UPS. I would check out both (and
any other carriers) of them. My bicycle and box weighed 28 pounds combined.

Yes -- the last few times I did it, Fedex Ground was quite a bit cheaper. So
that's what I use now. Most shops use UPS, but they pay wholesale rates which
are cheaper. If you're doing it yourself, Fedex Ground is the way to go.

Matt O.

Old September 24th 03, 06:28 AM
A Muzi

KRYSTN MCCALEB wrote:

I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii.
What is the best way and shipper to use?
I expect to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

Get in touch with someone who customarily crates and ships bicycles. A
"mailing" store won't be as savvy at this. There are numerous details,
for preventing damage in transit and to keep the carton size within
freight carriers' limits, that are not obvious. Find a competent
bicycle store which has experience in shipping.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old September 24th 03, 11:08 PM
Titanlnine

"KRYSTN MCCALEB" wrote in news1Obb.554294
$uu5.91929@sccrnsc04:

Hi,

I need to ship a nice street bicycle to Hawaii.
What is the best way and shipper to use?
I expect to remove the wheels, handle bars, and pedals and pack them.

Could I get a good box at a bicycle shop?

Any help is appreciated.

Krystn

Krystn, I've shipped road and MTN bikes to various points around the US.
I've visit my LBS and got free boxes, packed them myself and taken them to
mailboxes, etc...shipped via UPS and had ZERO problems. Most important
point is packing properly and getting the thickest box possible.