Switzerland high passes report

Old October 17th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default Switzerland high passes report

Over the last few years I rode up and down lots of the high passes of
Switzerland, mostly riding single-day loop routes. I found lots of fun +
pretty riding (not a surprise), and I'd gladly do lots of it again. This
year I finally connected it all into a continuous route, so I've ridden
every kilometer from Grand St Bernard in the southwest to the Bernina pass
in the southeast, most but not all on paved roads. And because I rode so
much of it as loops, also a second route from east to west. I put together a
set of
reports + suggestions about the high passes:
http://roberts-1.com/b/v/e/08c/#Swit...h_passes_08sep
+ map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...5d6b608529&z=8
(or click the link for the map on the reports page)

The reports have lots of ideas about loop rides and up-and-back climbs that
could be done while spending several days at a single base -- and also ideas
about multi-day "moving on" tours, not just one route, but different
alternatives for most of the stages. I say which roads I liked best and why,
and which parts I didn't like and would avoid -- and I'd be glad to hear
other suggesions (and corrections) for routes + riding.

Surprising for me: Trying to ride every kilometer between southwest +
southeast forced me to "fill in" between passes on some gentle valley roads
and paths -- but I discovered those were rather pretty and fun, and added
variety to my overall experience of Switzerland.

So now I feel more interested to attempt riding all the way across as a
continuous multi-day tour - (but more likely I'll repeat some of my favorite
loops and up-and-back rides).

Ken

Old October 19th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Gee!
Last week in august I rode solo from Aosta to Stelvio via Martigny-
Pillon-Interlaken-Innertkirchen-Andermatt-Disentis-(then train to La
Punt to save time)-Zernez-Santa Maria-Stelvio-Glorenza

Were we chasing each other?
If so, just too bad!

Sergio
Pisa
Old October 20th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Wow Sergio, that is amazingly similar to my West-East route, and I agree
that if there was one section to skip riding and take the train instead it
would be roughly Chur or Reichenau to la Punt -- or if you want to focus on
riding over passes instead of gentle valleys, then Yes, train from Disentis
to La Punt (though riding the Surselva valley east from Disentis was one of
the areas where I discovered how much I enjoyed riding Switzerland _not_
over the high passes).

Were we chasing each other?

No because I had a car, so in the middle of my trip I converted my Bike
Friday Project Q from single-rider mode into tandem and spent a week first
climbing and riding with Sharon by Cortina d'Ampezzo, then riding along lake
Como. Then I converted my bike into a single again and climbed the northwest
side of Passo Mortirolo from Mazzo, and Monte Zoncolan from Ovaro before
returning to Switzerland.

I do hope we get an excuse to meet and ride somewhere Sergio. How about . .
.. Col de Parpaillon in France between Embrun and Barcellonette? Two French
guys I met at the Oberalppass said it was very interesting (though better on
a mountain bike). Could do some other rides around Briancon or Susa.

Ken

Old October 20th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

Nice to read you again, Ken.

My train ride from DIsentis to La Punt was very interesting. I had
cycled in the arean the past, but moving by train along that deserted
canyon was quite an experience that let me discover a Switzerland I
had never suspected to exist.

Barcellonette? No thanks.
A long time ago I did a couple of bike trips over the southern French
Alps and decided I would very much prefer more northern routes.

I realise that you ride almost anywhere, mild and tough terrain as
well.
So, some time, drop again to Tuscany and I'll direct you to one
special climb: San Pellegrino in Alpe, up from Castelnuovo Garfagnana.
Look it up in the meanwhile. Myself I have always been keen at dodging
it, but you are up to the task.

Later

Sergio
Pisa
Old October 22nd 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

sergio wrote
Tuscany . . . one special climb: San Pellegrino in Alpe,
up from Castelnuovo Garfagnana.

Looks big and hard. But not as hard as Mortirolo from Mazzo. (unless it's
unpaved or badly paved)
What's the reward for all the labor?

I have a bicycling guidebook for the Garfagnana region, but it gave me the
idea that it's mostly for mountain bikes.

I'm not _against_ trying Tuscany again -- if you can point me to the best
road riding -- or maybe where to rent a good mountain bike cheap.
.. . . (But it seems like it's so much easier for me to find the kinds of
riding I like in Veneto -- and then there's the climbing + hiking on the
non-bicycling days -- and the sci alpinismo touring in non-bicycling
seasons).

Ken

Old October 22nd 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 22 Ott, 05:35, "Ken Roberts"
Looks big and hard. But not as hard as Mortirolo from Mazzo. (unless it's
unpaved or badly paved)
What's the reward for all the labor?

The reward? Perhaps descendig along the alternative LOOOONG road
through Castiglione Garfagnana.

I have a bicycling guidebook for the Garfagnana region, but it gave me the
idea that it's mostly for mountain bikes.

Yes and no.

I'm not _against_ trying Tuscany again -- if you can point me to the best
road riding -- or maybe where to rent a good mountain bike cheap.
. . . (But it seems like it's so much easier for me to find the kinds of
riding I like in Veneto -- and then there's the climbing + hiking on the
non-bicycling days -- and the sci alpinismo touring in non-bicycling
seasons).

Of course the larger Veneto-Trentino_Alto Adige-Friuli region offers
so much more in terms of high mountain passes. No way to argue.
However there are some beautiful possibilities in Tuscany, only some
of which you have explored in the past.

Sergio
Pisa
Old October 22nd 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

sergio wrote
The reward? Perhaps descendig along the alternative
LOOOONG road through Castiglione Garfagnana.

That's sounding interesting.

there are some beautiful possibilities in Tuscany, only some
of which you have explored in the past.

It could happen -- maybe some American rider (who has not yet discovered
Veneto) will insist that I join them for a trip to Tuscany. I gladly admit
there's lots and lots of roads in Tuscany I haven't explored. I do know a
loop on roads by the Cinque Terre which I checked by car once on a rather
rainy day but never got the chance to ride yet. And a quick web search
suggests that the Garfagnana mountains have at least one "via ferrata"
climbing route - (no way to bring a bicycle on that kind of climb).

Ken

Old October 22nd 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On 22 Ott, 15:10, "Ken Roberts"

Key words for Ken, and others.

Passo del Vestito
Campo Cecina
Carpinelli
Pradarena
Abetone
Radici
Renaio
Monte Serra
Pizzorne
Futa
Muraglione
La Calla

And, yes, I did ride a couple of times all along Cinqueterre.
Stunningly beautyful, much like the Sorrento Riviera.

Sergio
Pisa

P.s. And, across the sea, do not overlook the islands of Corsica and
Sardegna. Very worthwhile to visit.
..

Old October 23rd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

I know I've never been anywhere near those places in my previous visit to
Tuscany. Many of them are unfindable on Google Maps.

So looks interesting -- I've added them to reference file for Italy.

Ken

Old October 27th 08, 09:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
CWeb

On 23 Ott, 20:40, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:
I know I've never been anywhere near those places in my previous visit to
Tuscany. Many of them are unfindable on Google Maps.

So looks interesting -- I've added them to reference file for Italy.

Ken

Qualche info sulle salite alpine e in generale europee: www.salite.ch.
Trovi anche un forum per chiedere dettagli.
Ciao

Florida Passes New Bike Law !!!!!!! Beach Runner General 84 October 19th 06 09:18 PM
Cottur Passes on Davey Crockett Racing 2 March 9th 06 03:57 AM
Monte of Italy passes [email protected] Racing 2 February 7th 06 06:15 AM
Desperate to avoid high passes in alps - urgent help appreciated. [email protected] Rides 2 October 10th 05 08:50 AM
Floyd Beattie passes away harper Unicycling 16 June 18th 04 04:59 AM