Tour announcement: Adirondack Ride For Humanity

Old July 9th 03, 05:31 AM
W. Morris

Default Tour announcement: Adirondack Ride For Humanity

Hello,

I happy to announce to the group:

A 4-day, 200 mile supported bicycle tour through the heart of the
Adirondack Mountains - perhaps the most beautiful ride of your life!

Dates: September 18-21, 2003 (Thursday - Sunday)

Participants: Open to all interested cyclists wanting to support Habitat
for Humanity.

Purpose: To raise funds and awareness for the work of the Adirondack
Habitat for Humanity affiliate - dedicated to "building homes and
building lives" together with families in the tri-lakes Adirondack region.

This tour is on the roads that brought me to live full-time in New
York's Adiriondack Mountains for the past three years. By way of
testimonial, I've ridden every inch of this route, ride some variation
of the tour at least once a year and ride on some of these roads nearly
every day. Haven't tired of any of them and grow to love them more each
ride.

The tour is an extended circuit of the High Peaks region of the
Adirondacks (the shortest route around is about 120 miles.) While nearly
every mile of this tour is on beautiful country roads, several parts
bring me back to this route again and again. On day one, a particularly
long stretch of downhill road heading to North Hudson is particularly
breathtaking. You will likely not forget the next day's climbs on both
sides of Keene Valley, (repeat after me: "Long, not steep. Long, not
steep." After a night in Lake Placid, on day three you will ride follow
Rt 86 along the Ausable River through the Wilmington Notch and past
Whiteface Mountain on one of the most scenic areas in the region. A 3
mile climb soon follows (remember yesterday's mantra) and some nice
downhills and rollers, past Franklin Falls Pond (good Walleye fishing if
you've got time and remembered your boat,) some fairly level riding past
my house in Bloomingdale and down Rt 3 into Saranac Lake. Day three is a
pleasant ride with a few moderate climbs back to the start in Tupper Lake.

Most roads on this route have ample shoulders and light to moderate
traffic, though some stretches require the usual cautions. Route details
are on our website but the full beauty of the area can only be
appreciated by riding these roads!

I hope you will consider doing this ride. Do it for yourself and do it
for a good cause. This is the first year Adirondack Habitat for Humanity
has run this tour and it is being organized by people who love cycling;
long distance cylists that live here and love this area and want to
share it with like-minded folk.

Our tour website is: http://www.biblioworks.com/habitat/biketour.htm
where you will find a map, route description and downloadable
registration forms. Ride email contact:

Feel free to contact me personally at
or phone
(518) 891-1022 (home phone, EDT daytime hours please) and I'll try to
answer any questions in my unofficial capacity as webmaster and cheerleader.

Regards,

Wayne Morris
http://www.adkbikes.com