carrying a digital camera on bike tours?

Old October 15th 04, 03:08 PM
Terry Morse

Badger_South wrote:

How is the Olympus in shutter lag? As you know on digital cameras, there's
often a 1-2 second (or more) lag between firing and image capture, and that
can be a real impedance when you're trying to take pictures at 20mph with
one hand, I'd think.

My old camera is an Olympus D460, and its shutter lag is pretty
pronounced. It also takes too long to start up after opening the
lens cover.

Now I'm using a Canon Digital Elph. It's smaller, faster, and has
very little shutter lag.

Old October 15th 04, 05:59 PM
Alan Acock

"Steve Juniper" wrote in

I use a Coolpix 2100 and really like it, but I strongly recommend not
bothering with rechargeables (or Alkalines). I found them to run down
amazingly fast. Instead, use the CR-V3 batteries (which Nikon
recommends), which may indeed last 300 or more pictures. I picked up
the little Nikon belt case which has room for an extra battery in the
bottom for when the one in the camera finally runs down.

I use 64 MB compact flash cards, which take about 140 pics at the
density I use and keep an extra one around in case mine fills up or in
case of other problems. One can get cards with greater capacity but
then I feel anxious about having too many eggs in one basket...

One minor thing I don't like about my 2100 is how long it takes to
power up and be ready to shoot, but maybe they all do...???

Steve J

"Phil Blumenkrantz" wrote in message
om...
Seeking advice on the practicality of carrying a compact digital
camera on long-distance self-contained bike tours. I am particularly
interested in the problem of battery recharge time. Does anyone ride
with a recharger, or replacement batteries? How many shots do you get
with a 2-3 megapixel camera without having to recharge or replace? The
camera store says about 100 but Consumer Reports says 300-500
depending on the camera. I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2200, Cannon
Powershot A60, Kodak Easy Share CX7430 or Olympus D-580 zoom. Up until
now, I've carried a lightweight point and shoot.

I have a coolpix 4200. I bought a second lithium battery ($25). Now I can
take more pictures than I've ever wanted/needed to take without worrying
about it. The SD cards are getting cheap so buy the biggest one you can
afford, at least 256MB--or buy 2. With two batteries and 2 cards you are
set for several hundred pictures without worry about downloading or
recharging.
I keep my camera in a baggy in a handle bar bag, but the idea of a belt
holder sounds good--if I only wore a belt.

Alan Acock

Old October 15th 04, 06:35 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

How is the Olympus in shutter lag? As you know on digital cameras,
there's
often a 1-2 second (or more) lag between firing and image capture, and
that
can be a real impedance when you're trying to take pictures at 20mph with
one hand, I'd think.

My old camera is an Olympus D460, and its shutter lag is pretty
pronounced. It also takes too long to start up after opening the
lens cover.

Now I'm using a Canon Digital Elph. It's smaller, faster, and has
very little shutter lag.

Still, the 460 (and its predecessor, the 450Z, which I used back in the day)
took pretty decent photos. Olympus basically had really good glass on those
models. I found that, by setting it to multi-shot mode, a lot of the lag
went away.

The Fuji E510 I recently picked up has a very fast startup and shutdown time
(so you're not fumbling with it when that corner came up more quickly than
you thought it would), and reasonable, not great, shutter lag. My Olympus
D40 can be set up to various modes, including some with very little shutter
lag, but its square shape makes it a royal pain to use (it's never coming
out of your jersey pocket the right way, since you can't feel around for its
features and orient it properly before pulling it out of your pocket).

My Oly 5050 takes *great* photos, but it's most definitely not a pocketable
camera; I have to use a handlebar bag (a specially-modified Topeak that
works very well for the purpose, and is actually quite light).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 15th 04, 11:20 PM
Bob Anderson

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:08:36 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

Now I'm using a Canon Digital Elph. It's smaller, faster, and has
very little shutter lag.

I like to take my Canon S100 Digital Elph on rides. I have two
batteries, and with flash and display off it can take at least a
couple hundred of pictures per battery, usually more. It has a
1gig compact flash, plenty of room for hundreds of shots at
highest resolution. I recently purchased replacement batteries,
the Canon's didn't seem to hold a charge after 4 years. They
aren't Canon, and are half the price of Canon, but work better,
from tigerdirect. It's small, takes nice 1600x1200 pictures, has
an optical view finder (saves battery time). Only has 2x optical
zoom. Nice stainless steel body, seems sturdy for electronics.
The newer Digital Elphs are more powerful for less money, nice
camera.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM