Dropper posts for every bike?

Old November 28th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Dropper posts for every bike?

On 11/28/2019 11:49 AM, Chalo wrote:
My shop stool has a dropper post.

I think it might be a good idea for rental bikes, for quick and convenient seat height adjustment.

I'm holding off on modern MTBs until they come with dropper wheels that change diameter. Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even cupholders. It's kind of sad.

I'm with you in spirit and in principle but the details
fragment all of us to myriad groups.

Starts with an elegant simple fixed gear vs a heavy failure
prone noisy freewheel right through 12 speed, electronic
shift and all of that.

Meh. Ride whatever the hell you like, just ride.

Which reminds me of a Thanksgiving long ago when an
acquaintance stopped in my shop for a bite. His wisdom:

People who don't drink know they're better than beer
drinkers. Beer drinkers may tipple but they don't drink
whiskey. Whiskey drinkers may overdo it at times but they're
at least better than dope smokers. Potheads have their
troubles but they are superior to cocaine snorters. Those
who toot coke have a small bit of self respect because they
at least don't shoot smack. So there you have it. I shoot
Heroin because somebody has to make the system work.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 28th 19, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Ned Mantei wrote:
On 28-11-19 00:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

I bought a new mountain bike in 2016, and probably wouldn't have paid
the extra cost of the dropper post if the LBS hadn't strongly encouraged
it. Now I'm glad I did. For coasting down steep unpaved roads or trails
I feel safer after dropping the post. I think there is less chance I
will end up flying forward over the handlebars, especially when there is
gravel that doesn't allow hard braking. Admittedly I can't exclude that
the effect is only psychological.

Ned

My friend loves his, gives him the confidence, I’ve not bothered, nor do I
ever feel that the saddle is in the way, but I’m quite a technical rider
plus long limbed etc.

I also like bikes to be simpler (to use) so another thing to control I’d be
need to convinced it was worth it etc.

Roger Merriman

Old November 28th 19, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 02:28:32 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 11/27/2019 2:41 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

You're not thinking big enough. With a proper GPS integrated, as well as
torque sensors and angle sensors, control of the dropper could be fully
automated with no need for the rider to manually control the height.
It's one more step on the road to a self-driving bicycle.

And of course you are correct. I had not pursued the subject
sufficiently.

Anyone using a non-dropper seatpost is standing in the way of human
progress.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 19, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 09:49:20 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

My shop stool has a dropper post.

I think it might be a good idea for rental bikes, for quick and convenient seat height adjustment.

I'm holding off on modern MTBs until they come with dropper wheels that change diameter.

Goodness, you have just verbalized the possibility of a positively
amazing improvement in the bicycle. A wheel that changed diameter
would, of course, also, if installed on the rear of the bicycle,
change the gear ratio. A real duel purpose design that would not only
allow a decrease in the center of gravity but also incorporate an
indignant number of gear ratios.

It should be named in honor of it's discoverer - The Chalo Wheel?

Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to
offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't
have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even
cupholders. It's kind of sad.

One usually describes a device that performs its intended function
without frills and foibles as being "elegant", as in "displaying
effortless beauty and simplicity in movement or execution".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 29th 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/11/19 9:54 am, John B. wrote:

Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to
offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't
have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even
cupholders. It's kind of sad.

My road bike has two drink holders though, and I'm very grateful for
them. I even increased my drink container size recently to 800 ml, so I
can easily carry up to 1.6 l.

My gravel bike has room for five (5) drink holders. Three within the
main triangle and two on the fork.

For me this is part of "minimum equipment". There are considerable
distances between water sources where I live, and it is often hot and
humid. Dehydration isn't fun.

--
JS
Old November 29th 19, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 28 November 2019 21:19:09 UTC-5, James wrote:
On 29/11/19 9:54 am, John B. wrote:

Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to
offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't
have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even
cupholders. It's kind of sad.

My road bike has two drink holders though, and I'm very grateful for
them. I even increased my drink container size recently to 800 ml, so I
can easily carry up to 1.6 l.

My gravel bike has room for five (5) drink holders. Three within the
main triangle and two on the fork.

For me this is part of "minimum equipment". There are considerable
distances between water sources where I live, and it is often hot and
humid. Dehydration isn't fun.

--
JS

I think what he was meaning were the cup holders that fit on the handlebar.

I too like lots of water bottle cages on my bike. For the same reason as you do too. In Northern Ontario Canada it can be quite far between water sources. I always boil my water but am considering getting a good filtration system as boiling the water for all my water bottles is time consuming and uses a lot of fuel plus I have to wait for each pot of water to cool enough to put it into my plastic water bottles.

Back in the mid-1980s my BIANCHI MTB had so much space between the seat-tube and the fender over the 26" x 2.125" knobby tire, that I was able to fit a bottle cage and 500ml bottle there.

Let's see. there were two 500ml bottles on the handlebar, two 750ml bottles on the downtube (one above and one below), one 500ml bottle on top of the downtube ahead of the 750ml bottle, and two 750ml bottles on the seat-tube. So that was 4.5 liters of water total.

Cheers
Old November 29th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 13:18:52 +1100, James
wrote:

On 29/11/19 9:54 am, John B. wrote:

Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to
offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't
have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even
cupholders. It's kind of sad.

My road bike has two drink holders though, and I'm very grateful for
them. I even increased my drink container size recently to 800 ml, so I
can easily carry up to 1.6 l.

My gravel bike has room for five (5) drink holders. Three within the
main triangle and two on the fork.

For me this is part of "minimum equipment". There are considerable
distances between water sources where I live, and it is often hot and
humid. Dehydration isn't fun.

Initially I mounted two bottles on my road bike, one on the down tube
and one on the seat tube, and when that wasn't enough I got a holder
that mounted two of the large size bottles behind the seat that worked
well.

When I built the bike I did put braze ons under the down tube to carry
a bottle there but that wasn't so successful as the bottle under the
down tube gets dirty enough from dirt thrown up by the front wheel
that I really didn't want to drink out of it :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 29th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

On 11/27/2019 2:41 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

You're not thinking big enough. With a proper GPS integrated, as well as
torque sensors and angle sensors, control of the dropper could be fully
automated with no need for the rider to manually control the height.
It's one more step on the road to a self-driving bicycle.

You're also not thinking big enough. With the invention of
articulated sprung suspensions, and motorized seat positioning, the
next logical step in the evolution of the bicycle should be to
motorize and computerize everything that can possibly be adjusted.
That would be adjustable handlebar geometry, stem angle, stem length,
crank length, telescoping frame tubes, etc. Of course, such radical
innovations cannot be considered without a suitable problem being
contrived. I propose that the problem that all these solve is a
better fit, not just for the rider, but for the road conditions,
situation, and style of riding. Instead of owning individual bicycles
for road, track, dirt, gravel, acrobatics, electric assist, comfort,
and show, a fully adjustable geometry bicycle could rapidly be
switched from one mode of travel to another. For example, you're
plodding along on your daily commute in a rather conservative commuter
configuration, when you are challenged to a race. Rather than ride
home and return with your road bicycle, you punch a few commands on
your BT connected smartphone, and instantly your frame geometery
changes into something like a road racer. You win the race, punch a
few buttons, and arrive back in the conservative commuter
configuration. Such adjustable geometry can also be used to
compensate for small limb length discrepancies. With a little
imagination, making all the components adjustable will be
revolutionary (or revolting).

Anyone using a non-dropper seatpost is standing in the way of human
progress.

Ummm... it's bicycle progress, not human progress. It's the bicycle
that is changing, not the rider.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 29th 19, 06:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Ah but you are leaving out the most important modification - the final
act in the long history of the bicycle.
ELECTRIC POWER TO THE WHEELS!

(think of it, never have to huff and puff up those hills again)

Old November 29th 19, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/28/2019 2:54 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to
offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't
have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even
cupholders. It's kind of sad.

Don't knock cupholders. Very nice to have when commuting.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32972288122.html