Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

Old October 24th 05, 02:01 PM
aeek

Default Blame the faulty drivers of dangerous machinery. 4WDs most dangerouson road

fasgnadh Wrote:

How about tyargetting the biggest killers first.

How about dealing with faulty owners of dangerous
machinery that is involved
in a disproportionate number of child fatalities...

"I bought a 4WD for my families safety" - Pigs Arse

I have the utmost respect for the 4WD I encountered on Saturday.
I was following this sedan towing trailer, 80 on an interesting 100
road.
Then some cyclists just before a crest curve. Doofus HAD to overtake,
blind.
Fortunately the oncoming 4WD (a 'real' one) gave everyone space
by putting the left wheels onto the grass.

A Smart in the hands of an idiot is more dangerous than a Landcruiser
in the hands of a responsible driver fully aware of the limitations of
their vehicle.

--
aeek

Old October 24th 05, 02:21 PM
cfsmtb

dave Wrote:

Or really good at attracting the really stupid.

Sorry Tim.. couldnt resist

Nah, it's not Tims fault. Neither is it Tims fault that this thread is
being x-posted to aus.politics & aus.cars. Hence the low standard of
intellectual rigor.

--
cfsmtb

Old October 24th 05, 02:31 PM
Rainbow Warrior

On 2005-10-24, fasgnadh (aka Bruce)
Brash wrote:
Nineteen-month-old Andie Kearns remains on a respirator in a critical
but
stable condition in The Children's Hospital, Randwick, after she was
accidentally run over by her father in the driveway of the family home
on
Saturday.

Very sad. I hope the little tike gets well soon. But raging against a
machine, be it a 4WD or a centrfire rifle, serves no purpose. The
machines
can't hear you, and aren't to blam anyway.

A diahatsu charade has a rear blind spot of a few metres when a
two year old is standing behind it.

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

Anecdotal only, I know, but the people of aus.bicycle heard last week
about my latest adventures.

Of the last 4 vehicles I have come into contact with, 3 were 4WDs (the
other was a stolen vehicle, where the drivers deliberately rammed me,
and one of the 4WDs was being controlled by a road rager who
fortunately chose to get out of his ego-cage in order to assault me).

This says *something* about either 4WDs, or their drivers.

I know a guy in a 120y wagon who deliberately rammed an Econovan because the
guy threw an apple on his bonnet, that says *something* about all station
wagons or their drivers.

'They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable
about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving
skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centred and self-absorbed,
with little interest in their neighbours or communities.'

They are frequently aggressive nutcases.

I don't have kids, so got no problems with parenthood.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...174396370.html

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulle...256E24001A1266

'Fred J Schaafsma, a top engineer for General Motors, says,
"Sport-utility owners tend to be more like 'I wonder how people view
me', and are more willing to trade off flexibility or functionality to
get that."'
http://afr.com/articles/2004/04/01/1080544625539.html

"According to Bradsher, internal industry market research concluded
that SUVs tend to be bought by people who are insecure, vain,
self-centred and self-absorbed, who are frequently nervous about their
marriages, and who lack confidence in their driving skills."

Sports utility drivers are hoons.

I.e, exactly the people you *don't* want driving 4WDs, think that
they should be driving them. And it turns out it is no safer for them
to drive 4WDs, than a normal car, and is is *hugely* unsafe for the
rest of us, for them to be driving said.

Yeah much safer they drive 300kw Falcodores.

Old October 24th 05, 02:44 PM
Patrick Young

Kev wrote:

Of the last 4 vehicles I have come into contact with, 3 were 4WDs (the
other was a stolen vehicle, where the drivers deliberately rammed me,
and one of the 4WDs was being controlled by a road rager who
fortunately chose to get out of his ego-cage in order to assault me).

what is wrong with your riding skills that you keep coming into contact
with cars?

in thye 20 years of driving trucks past bicycles on both city streets
and highways I have never hit one(although the dickhead who granbbed the
back of one truck for a free tow up hill was almost flung into a light
pole when I had to take evasive action to avoid a car that pulled out of
a driveway in front of me)

Yup, don't like the ones that grab hold of the back of the pickup
for a free ride.

Coming into work today there was one down with an ambo present,
looked fairly fecked, however push bike still looked plausible.

Even if you choose a motorbike, heard the risk factor of death is
20x. So, I'll keep my dirt bike for use on the farm.
Old October 24th 05, 02:55 PM
TimC

On 2005-10-24, Kev (aka Bruce)

Of the last 4 vehicles I have come into contact with, 3 were 4WDs (the
other was a stolen vehicle, where the drivers deliberately rammed me,
and one of the 4WDs was being controlled by a road rager who
fortunately chose to get out of his ego-cage in order to assault me).

what is wrong with your riding skills that you keep coming into contact
with cars?

Reaction times greater than 200msec. Damn it, I'm only human.

In the two road rage cases, it was me yelling out "hey!" to cars that
tried to merge into the lane that I had already occupied. "hey!" of
course being the most to-the-point thing that one can quickly say --
as far more effective than merely ringing my bell. The 4WDer
obviously felt like his penis was threatened by this, so got out of
his car and started pushing me around.... 50m from a booze bus with
flashing lights. Idiot. The other was a bunch of teenagers in a
stolen car taking it for a joy ride, so they got their thrills out of
being dangerous fools on the road. Hope they've met a tree now.

In one other case, a 4WDer was pulling out of a carpark, and was too
busy concentrating on doing an illegal U-turn to bother looking in my
direction. When she hit me, I managed to stay upright and avoided the
tram tracks and traffic in the opposite direction, and nearly fell
over when I came to clip out, and found I could barely move my leg.
She said "oh sorry, I usually am a very good driver -- I look out for
cyclists, but just forgot to look this time!". Oh well, at least it
wasn't the SMIDSY -- "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You" -- I have to admit
I've never heard someone say "I didn't bother looking for you". And
she even took me to the doctor then the police station.

And the case 2 weeks ago was an idiot in a 4WD who didn't indicate,
barely slowed down, or look when he pulled into a parking spot. I was
possible not riding as defensively as I could (I should have taken the
middle of the right hand lane in order not to allow vehicles to pass
me when there wasn't enough room) -- although the traffic was
travelling rather slow at the time, and I thought it was safe. He
broke at least 2, possibly three laws (I'm talking to a lawyer
tomorrow), and I broke 0 laws. Unfortunately, he has left me a 2 day
visit to a hospital, $500 out of pocket, and with a much reduced
capacity to eat for the past almost 2 weeks (lay ruin to my plan of
doing the 210km around-the-bay, because I couldn't fuel myself). and I
didn't even get a single scratch on his fricking precious Urban Asault
Vehicle.

There is no place for 4WDs in city roads. Every single one of mine
was a clean, never used in the bush vehicle. 2 of them were sole
occupant, and the other had two occupants. The one that got me last
time had a taller bonnet than my handlebars, which means he sure as
hell isn't going to see a lot of obstacles, and any human he does hit
will be hit in the torso, and will not have a chance of going safely
over the bonnet. Combine that with the fact that the vehicles are not
constructed to the same safety standards as required by law of normal
passenger vehicles, and that they are actively aggressive to non 4WD
users, and you have a vehicle that is extremely harmful to society.
But since it is so loved amongst Toorak style voters, of whom our
Johnny Howard love, I doubt they will be taxed comparably to normal
vehicles anytime soon.

--
TimC
All Tims are illusions, except for Lunch Tim, who is doubly so.
Old October 24th 05, 03:07 PM
Peka

fasgnadh Wrote:
A diahatsu charade has a rear blind spot of a few metres when a two year
old is standing behind it.

For a 4WD its over 15 metresAll vehicles have huge blindspots when the driver has its head up its

arse

--
Peka

Old October 24th 05, 03:17 PM
TimC

On 2005-10-24, aeek (aka Bruce)
I have the utmost respect for the 4WD I encountered on Saturday.
I was following this sedan towing trailer, 80 on an interesting 100
road.
Then some cyclists just before a crest curve. Doofus HAD to overtake,
blind.
Fortunately the oncoming 4WD (a 'real' one) gave everyone space
by putting the left wheels onto the grass.

A Smart in the hands of an idiot is more dangerous than a Landcruiser
in the hands of a responsible driver fully aware of the limitations of
their vehicle.

That is correct. And Tam is possibly still with us (or *is* she?),
thanks to a 4WDer who slowed down and let her in when the bus did that
enormously stupid manouvre.

They do exist, but you do have to be more careful in a 4WD in the
city, than other cars. And a good number of drivers of said really
aren't any more skilled than their normal passenger vehicle driving
cousins.

--
TimC
Bus error -- driver executed.
Old October 24th 05, 04:29 PM
Tom N

Noddy wrote:

"fasgnadh" wrote
A diahatsu charade has a rear blind spot of a few metres when a
two year old is standing behind it.

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

****ing bull****

What "4wd" would that be you ractionary ****?

http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/moto...rch/reversing-
visibility/index.shtml

"Contrary to popular belief, NRMA Insurance research reveals that 4WD
vehicles are not the worst when it comes to reversing visibility. In fact,
many perform better than popular sedans. ...no car type is inherently
better"

According to the test, the following (out of the cars tested) have "Minimum
Distance to view test object (metres)" of 15m or mo

Peugeot 407 (Sedan) - with OEM sensors
Certain models of Holden Commodore
Toyota Prado
Land Rover Discovery
Honda Odyssey (5 Door Wagon)
Mercedes CLK500 (2 Door Convertible)
Holden Monaro CV8 (Coupe) - with OEM sensors
Holden Crewman (4 Door Ute)

"fasgnadh" wrote
4WDs are responsible for 50% of driveway killings of toddlers,
sedans, despite being much more common, only 20%.

Easily fixed with a reversing camera.

Unfortunately the fact that 4wds will hit ordinary cars at head height for
the occupants is not so easily fixed.

In the Used Car Safety Ratings at
http://www.mynrma.com.au/used_safety_ratings_4wd.asp
all the large 4WDs scored "Significantly more harm than average" in the
"How seriously is your vehicle likely to harm another road user?" rating
(which is vastly worse than any other vehicle category).

There are only 2 passive safety ways to avoid this problem of being hit by
a large 4wd.
1. Buy a large 4wd yourself (the nuclear arms race solution).
2. Get a car with side, curtain and front airbags.

I think the 5% duty on 4wds should be increased to 10% like other cars and
that 5% duty should apply to cars with 5 star ANCAP or EuroNCAP crash
rating that also have side, curtain and front airbags, plus maybe some
criteria based on pedestrian crash friendliness.

In terms of crash protection for 4wd occupants, the safety ratings show
they are no better nor worse than other similarly sized cars.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/ancap_1.asp
Old October 24th 05, 04:50 PM
Resound

"Noddy" wrote in message

"fasgnadh" wrote in message

For a 4WD its over 15 metres.

****ing bull****

What "4wd" would that be you ractionary ****?

--
Regards,
Noddy.

Oh look, we've roused them

We're talking about toddler height objects. Try driving away from a white
post in your lard arse Landcruiser until you can see the whole reflector at
the top. Then stop and see how far from it you are.Everything between it and
the back of your vehicle is where you can't see a child. And I think the
word you're desperately groping for is "reactionary". Why yes, I actually DO
react to things. You know...by thinking about them for example.

Who wants to take bets on an incoherent response or none at all?

Old October 24th 05, 05:48 PM
hippy

TimC Wrote:
On 2005-10-24, aeek (aka Bruce)
[...]

[/color]

On the way to *cough* work, I had a bus driver wave me around him on
the outside today! What a nice bloke! Then we both hit the same red
light. Doh! I shook my head and we shared a smile. This is London
though so bikes move faster than most other traffic in town.

On the way back (all kitted out with new bike courier goodies!) I
nearly took down a ped at 30kph. I'd just moved from the right lane to
the center lane, in behind a bus, when she stepped in front of me
'just' as the bus passed her. It wasn't a ped crossing, the silly bitch
just assumed there was nothing behind the bus. I just missed her. If I
hit her she could've been killed. If I swerved into something I
could've been killed. I fscking hate pedestrians over here. They are
more of a danger than the cars!

hippy
dreading 9am-6pm tomorrow

--