Is my head tube oval?

Old December 21st 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
big Pete[_2_]

Default Is my head tube oval?

Hi all,

I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?

Thank you very much

Pete

--
big Pete

Old December 21st 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Dec 21, 7:53*am, big Pete big.Pete.31y...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?

Thank you very much

Pete

--
big Pete

I highly doubt that you ovalised it, since that's usually caused by a
loose headset, which wouldn't have the notch.

You might not even need a new headset. If you rebuild it with loose
balls instead of retainers, the balls won't line up the same way as
before and the indexing will be gone. Not that the indexing really
hurts anything, anyway.
Old December 21st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 02:53:15 +1100, big Pete
may have said:

Hi all,

I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?

The overt symptom of a wallowed head tube is steerer radial motion
under load or, in bad cases, play in the cup where it goes into the
frame. This is rare; it takes a hard hit to change the shape of the
head tube, and you'll bend the fork first. The type of symptom you're
seeing is almost always due to a worn headset. Take it apart and
examine the cones; I'm betting that you'll find a pitted or corroded
spot in one of them.

Old December 21st 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

big Pete wrote:
I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?

all is revealed:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.13.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 21st 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

Hank Wirtz wrote:
You might not even need a new headset. If you rebuild it with loose
balls instead of retainers, the balls won't line up the same way as
before and the indexing will be gone. Not that the indexing really
hurts anything, anyway.

If that fails, I've also had luck with changing the size of bearings in
one of the cups. I had a beater bike that had really bad indexed
steering, so bad that it almost caused a crash a few times when riding
off-road since I couldn't compensate for gravel and small rocks. I put
smaller bearings in the bottom cup than the ones that it came with and
it's now extremely smooth, such that you'd never suspect that anything
was ever wrong with it.
Old December 23rd 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

big Pete ? wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?...

JB frets over this issue, while jb indents.

POST FREE OR DIE!
Old December 24th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:28:04 -0600, Tom Sherman
may have said:

big Pete ? wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?...

JB frets over this issue, while jb indents.

You, sir, are having entirely too much fun flogging a certain bit of
equine taxidermy.

Old December 24th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Dec 21, 2:53*pm, A Muzi wrote:
big Pete wrote:
I have a Norco bush pilot that I use(d) for off road use. I now use it
as a winter commuter bike. I have noticed that my steering has a notch
in the strait position. It uses a threaded system for the stem and fork
connection. I am just wondering if I oval-ised my head tube or I just
need a new head set? How do you see if the head tube is oval-ised?

all is revealed:http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.13.html
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

ol JB sure can write can't he?
Old December 24th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

That is a question you need to ask your wife, girlfriend or boyfriend,
depending on your preferences.

Old December 24th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

problem can be elliptical wear at the crown race from lack of service
or greasewash out in severe conditions.
try repacking with new bearings and Castrol Marine Grease in a tube
from Wal-grease is beige.
The elliptical and non adjustable surfaces out torque the rebuild even
using liberal quantities of red and blue locktite on a sanitary thread
surface. A coula miles down the road and expletive deleted it's loose
again.
No, that's not clumsy you, the race is shot and you gotta get a new
one.
take it off after cleaning and PCBlaster with a propane torch smokin'
and a machete (Wal) tapped with a hardwood block offa skid.

ovalization? if the cups fell out? cups don't fall out, gotta punchem
out. I have a tool looks like a vitamin pill stretches acroos the cup
edges and tap tap out eases the cup. But the easier the cup comes out,
the more probable ovalization. paint it or linseed the inside pipe
before sticking the cups back in.
inspect for rust.
if ovalized, Locktite has slipfit liquids for solving the refit but a
clean surface is a good idea. Farmall hardware has a circular brush to
fit.