853 Steel Frame Deals

Old August 8th 03, 04:09 AM
andy

Default 853 Steel Frame Deals

I am considering an 853 frame or complete bike and would like to know
if anyone knows of good deals, what to stay away from, etc.
thanx in advance,
andy
Old August 8th 03, 05:16 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
andy wrote:
I am considering an 853 frame or complete bike and would like to know
if anyone knows of good deals, what to stay away from, etc.

Stay away from bikes that don't fit. Pick fit before tubing.

--Paul
Old August 8th 03, 10:04 AM
Bruni

When folks are price sensitive around my custom frames, I advise checking
out Soma Fabrications excellent offerings.
Very affordable. Also,631 is a value priced air hardening
steel. STEEL!!!
Tom
--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"

Old August 8th 03, 02:21 PM
Jkpoulos7

And once you know what fit you need look at Gunnar

Or find a Lemond on end of season sale. I loved the Gunnar Roadie but the shop
wanted
~$1600 to build one with 105 and standard mavic wheels. I happened to go to a
shop and they had the Lemond Buenos Aires with Ultegra and Bontrager Twin spoke
wheels for $1200 . The Lemond rides as nice as the Gunnar but can be had for
much less. Whatever bike you choose go with steel. Fit is the key but frame
material does make a huge difference. Don't listen to those who get beat up on
aluminum bikes who say there's no difference. They want you to be miserable
too.
Old August 8th 03, 10:23 PM
scituatejohn

Andy wrote:
I am considering an 853 frame or complete bike and would like to know if
anyone knows of good deals, what to stay away from, etc. thanx in
advance, andy

I am happy with my Gunnar Sport, but it is the only 853 frame that I
have had. It is stiffer than the lugged steel Specialized Allez that I
used to have, and it still provides a nice ride. It fits me better too.

--
John McCarthy