Wester Ross / Loch Ewe

Old July 15th 03, 02:48 PM
Ian Baren

Default Wester Ross / Loch Ewe

Gee, long shot here - I am starting a restoration of a ca. 1976-80 531
Wester Ross / Loch Ewe Cycles frame, ser #023, and wonder if there
are any out there who A) have one, B) know anything about this maker,
C) have any thoughts on who to go to for restoration shops... D)
Decals (haha,) or in general anything related to who made them, when
tey were in business, reviews, etc, etc.

Found the following on rec. bikes, only 12 years ago...

Thanks

As to buying a tourer over here, if you want a decent new one, you're
looking in the
low hundreds, at a minimum. Used bikes vary enormously, but there must
be quite
a few available in Oxford, around change-over time. Of course, a
bike bought
here would have the advantage of being right-hand drive.........

Looking at recent ads for second hand touring bikes, you can expect
to pay around 350 pounds for as an example a Dawes Super Galaxy (1990
model) and similar for the top of the range Raleigh or Claude Butler
second hand.

As an example of new prices :
Nigel Dean World Tour (531 frame, Suntour X-1 indexed 21 sp
gearing) is about 550 pounds.

Claude Butler Classic (501 frame, Shimano 12 sp indexed
gearing) is 250 pounds)

My own custom built tourer (hand-built Wester Ross 531
frameset) would now cost about 1200 pounds to replace.

Alan Chapman.

Message 2 in thread
From: Carla Oexmann )
Subject: bicycle: ship to or purcha

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles
Date: 1991-07-10 23:58:44 PST

In article Alan Chapman
writes:
My own custom built tourer (hand-built Wester Ross 531
frameset) would now cost about 1200 pounds to replace.

Alan Chapman.

So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other
Wester Ross
riders are out there ?

Ritual disclaimer : My opinion and mine alone ! Convex, as best I can
tell,
doesn't have opinions, being a corporate entity...
Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs,
ctvax}!convex!oexmann
Convex Computer Corp.
3000 Waterview Parkway
P.O. Box 833851
Richardson, TX
Message 3 in thread
From: Alan Chapman )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles
Date: 1991-07-12 00:04:52 PST

(Carla Oex-
mann)

So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other Wester Ro- ss
riders are out there ?

Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!oexmann

There was me, thinking that in all probability, I was the only one
reading wreck.bikes who has a Wester Ross.

Mines not so pretty now, having got the frame 7.5 years and 50000
miles ago (7.5 years at an average of 7200 miles per year).

Alan.
Message 4 in thread
From: Don Varvel )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles
Date: 1991-07-12 10:34:56 PST

In article Alan Chapman
writes:
(Carla Oex-
mann)
So I'm not only one riding one of these pretties ! How many other

Wester Ro- ss
riders are out there ?
Carla Oexmann {allegra, sun, harvard, uiucdcs,

ctvax}!convex!oexmann
There was me, thinking that in all probability, I was the only one
reading wreck.bikes who has a Wester Ross.
Mines not so pretty now, having got the frame 7.5 years and 50000
miles ago (7.5 years at an average of 7200 miles per year).

I think the "pretty" was a figure of speech. Possibly a term
of endearment.

But then, I've seen Carla's bicycle. Someday you may see it,
too. It can be recognized by the pink fuzzy dice. The remainder
defies description.

-- Don Varvel