God intervenes! Ride cancelled.

Old December 15th 04, 02:40 PM
dgk

Default God intervenes! Ride cancelled.

I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to riding today. 22F and
windy - the wrong way of course. Still, I was all layered up (with one
extra layer) when I couldn't find my electric gloves. Odd, since I
wore them yesterday. I looked upstairs, downstairs, all around. No
electirc gloves. I looked in the garage but no. No gloves.

So I punted and took the train. I did make some stops coming home
yesterday and might have switched gloves and left the electric ones
somewhere but I really doubt it. I mean, it was cold last night.

Still, they were not locatable this morning. I can only conclude that
divine intervention was responsible. Or perhaps one of the cats hid
them. That would still sort of be divine intervention.
Old December 15th 04, 03:26 PM
psycholist

"dgk" wrote in message
I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to riding today. 22F and
windy - the wrong way of course. Still, I was all layered up (with one
extra layer) when I couldn't find my electric gloves. Odd, since I
wore them yesterday. I looked upstairs, downstairs, all around. No
electirc gloves. I looked in the garage but no. No gloves.

So I punted and took the train. I did make some stops coming home
yesterday and might have switched gloves and left the electric ones
somewhere but I really doubt it. I mean, it was cold last night.

Still, they were not locatable this morning. I can only conclude that
divine intervention was responsible. Or perhaps one of the cats hid
them. That would still sort of be divine intervention.

I've done a few rides when it dipped down into the 20s. One day a group of
us rolled out on a ride at 22 degrees and there were just some tiny sleet
pellets falling every now and then. We rode 55 miles. I was dressed
properly for it and, therefore, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, actually,
the first big downhill I thought my face was gonna freeze solid. But I got
accustomed to it.

I live in the South and those conditions are relatively rare here. I admire
those of you who live up north and ride through those conditions, and worse,
on a daily basis. I salute you.

As for cats being any sort of divine messenger ... I doubt it. If they are,
I wonder what I should make of it when mine come through the cat door and
drop off a dead rat carcass or a live snake, etc.

(Funny aside. One day one of my cats came blasting through the cat door and
had a pancake in his mouth. Huh? It was fun trying to imagine where he
came up with that.)

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old December 15th 04, 03:44 PM
Pat Lamb

psycholist wrote:
As for cats being any sort of divine messenger ... I doubt it. If they are,
I wonder what I should make of it when mine come through the cat door and
drop off a dead rat carcass or a live snake, etc.

(Funny aside. One day one of my cats came blasting through the cat door and
had a pancake in his mouth. Huh? It was fun trying to imagine where he
came up with that.)

I had a springer spaniel who came back over the fence one day with a
half-eaten can of shortening. Turns out the lady a block down would put
the shortening out on her porch to cool after frying dinner (can you
guess I live in the South?). So dumb dog, who only has brains in her
legs, hops the fence, runs down the street, and grabs a snack.

Pat
Old December 15th 04, 04:20 PM
dgk

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:26:10 -0500, "psycholist"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes, I noticed yesterday that I could peel my face off when I got
home.

I live in the South and those conditions are relatively rare here. I admire
those of you who live up north and ride through those conditions, and worse,
on a daily basis. I salute you.

As for cats being any sort of divine messenger ... I doubt it. If they are,
I wonder what I should make of it when mine come through the cat door and
drop off a dead rat carcass or a live snake, etc.

(Funny aside. One day one of my cats came blasting through the cat door and
had a pancake in his mouth. Huh? It was fun trying to imagine where he
came up with that.)

Someone, somewhere, went hungry that morning.
Old December 15th 04, 04:20 PM
dgk

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:44:00 -0600, Pat Lamb
wrote:

psycholist wrote:
As for cats being any sort of divine messenger ... I doubt it. If they are,
I wonder what I should make of it when mine come through the cat door and
drop off a dead rat carcass or a live snake, etc.

(Funny aside. One day one of my cats came blasting through the cat door and
had a pancake in his mouth. Huh? It was fun trying to imagine where he
came up with that.)

I had a springer spaniel who came back over the fence one day with a
half-eaten can of shortening. Turns out the lady a block down would put
the shortening out on her porch to cool after frying dinner (can you
guess I live in the South?). So dumb dog, who only has brains in her
legs, hops the fence, runs down the street, and grabs a snack.

Pat

Good that it wasn't a pie laid out to cool.
Old December 15th 04, 05:03 PM
Neil Brooks

dgk wrote:
I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to riding today. 22F and
windy - the wrong way of course. Still, I was all layered up (with one
extra layer) when I couldn't find my electric gloves. Odd, since I
wore them yesterday. I looked upstairs, downstairs, all around. No
electirc gloves. I looked in the garage but no. No gloves.

So I punted and took the train. I did make some stops coming home
yesterday and might have switched gloves and left the electric ones
somewhere but I really doubt it. I mean, it was cold last night.

Still, they were not locatable this morning. I can only conclude that
divine intervention was responsible. Or perhaps one of the cats hid
them. That would still sort of be divine intervention.

a) Did you look on top of the dryer? That's where I'd-a put them;

b) You didn't /specifically/ mention whether you changed out of cycling
clothes before boarding the train. For some reason, I feel compelled to ask
;-)

Stay warm....

Old December 15th 04, 05:06 PM
R15757

Turns out the lady a block down would put
the shortening out on her porch to cool after frying dinner (can you
guess I live in the South?). So dumb dog, who only has brains in her
legs, hops the fence, runs down the street, and grabs a snack.

Pat

Good that it wasn't a pie laid out to cool.

Or a pic-i-nic basket.

Hey hey BooBoo
Old December 15th 04, 05:23 PM
Olebiker

As for cats being any sort of divine messenger ... I doubt it. If they
are,
I wonder what I should make of it when mine come through the cat door

and
drop off a dead rat carcass or a live snake, etc.

It is unusually cold here in Tallahassee which means that it is just
about freezing. My cat, who normally loves getting outside when I get
home, spent less than a minute outside before retreating to the house.
He is like most of us Floridians; he freezes to death at room
temperature.

The neighbors cats loved when I got home yesterday. They jumped up on
the hood of my truck and basked in the warmth of the engine.
Dick Durbin

Old December 15th 04, 05:43 PM
David Reuteler

dgk wrote:
I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to riding today. 22F and
windy - the wrong way of course. Still, I was all layered up (with one
extra layer) when I couldn't find my electric gloves. Odd, since I
wore them yesterday. I looked upstairs, downstairs, all around. No
electirc gloves. I looked in the garage but no. No gloves.

So I punted and took the train. I did make some stops coming home
yesterday and might have switched gloves and left the electric ones
somewhere but I really doubt it. I mean, it was cold last night.

Still, they were not locatable this morning. I can only conclude that
divine intervention was responsible. Or perhaps one of the cats hid
them. That would still sort of be divine intervention.

wuss.
--
david reuteler

Old December 15th 04, 07:16 PM
dgk

On 15 Dec 2004 16:43:49 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

dgk wrote:
I'll admit that I wasn't looking forward to riding today. 22F and
windy - the wrong way of course. Still, I was all layered up (with one
extra layer) when I couldn't find my electric gloves. Odd, since I
wore them yesterday. I looked upstairs, downstairs, all around. No
electirc gloves. I looked in the garage but no. No gloves.

So I punted and took the train. I did make some stops coming home
yesterday and might have switched gloves and left the electric ones
somewhere but I really doubt it. I mean, it was cold last night.

Still, they were not locatable this morning. I can only conclude that
divine intervention was responsible. Or perhaps one of the cats hid
them. That would still sort of be divine intervention.

wuss.

That's my middle name!