Alaska 2008: The Dalton Highway Write-Up (Long)

Old July 26th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Default Alaska 2008: The Dalton Highway Write-Up (Long)

Awesome story, such a terrible thing to happen to someone so young and
vibrant.

If anyone can take the time, the link to the paralysis site:
http://tinyurl.com/6n7bah

has some more discussion with Mike as he deals with his injury.

I worked with disabled skiers at Alpine Meadows Ski Resort back in the
mid 1980's, it takes all kinds, never discount the human potential, he
has a high level of function remaining so he should do well in his
rehab.

Good luck Mike, heal good and strong!

--
Nurse Ben
Old July 26th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

This is awful news and our thoughts are with Mike.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this kind of thing, but is the
injury permanent or is there a chance of recovery?

--
Into the blue

Harper wrote:
I wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
Get splined an a KH saet or ur a pansy.
Get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.

Old July 26th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
entropy

Into the blue wrote:
This is awful news and our thoughts are with Mike.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this kind of thing, but is the
injury permanent or is there a chance of recovery?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_cord_injury:

The exact effects of a spinal cord injury vary according to the type
and level injury, and can be organized into two types:

- In a -complete injury-, there is no function below the
"neurological" level, defined as the lowest level that has intact
neurological function. If a person has some level below which there
is no motor and sensory function, the injury is said to be
"complete". Recent evidence suggest that less than 5% of people
with "complete" spinal cord injury recover locomotion.

- A person with an -incomplete injury- retains some sensation or
movement below the level of the injury.[...]Recent evidence suggest
that over 95% of people with "incomplete" spinal cord injury recover
some locomotory ability.

The article also has a helplful diagram to complement the text. I
should note that at the time of this post the above text has no direct
citations in the article, but I did find some of the statements
corroborated he http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic553.htm.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.